Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #21
webby459

BTW a tip if you do the Louie Loop and are looking to camp near the Cedars. There's a nice official and marked tent site just past Cedar lt #2 if you are going clockwise on the loop. Just past the little bridge that goes over where Cedar and Beaver Pond join on your left. At least something to check out.
webby459 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #22
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

Lake George Wild Forest

I'll second Webby's suggestion of the Lake George Wild Forest. You could park at Dacy Clearing, climb Sleeping Beauty, hike on to Bumps Pond and Fishcreek Pond where there are two lentos and good swimming. There are other leantos in the area if those are full. You could climb Black Mountain and/or hike down to Lake George (superb swimming). It's a beautiful area!
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #23
TrailBlaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkgphoto View Post
Awesome I will research that now!
I second both of Webby's ideas. The French Louie loop would be outstanding if you have the time to do it as he did.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
BTW a tip if you do the Louie Loop and are looking to camp near the Cedars. There's a nice official and marked tent site just past Cedar lt #2 if you are going clockwise on the loop. Just past the little bridge that goes over where Cedar and Beaver Pond join on your left. At least something to check out.
I second that. Camped there several years ago. Really nice swimming beach across the trail from the camp site.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #25
Justin
Moving along

Just curious and Iím definitely no one to judge what anyone does with their child but Iím just wondering if the 22 mile French loop through the West Canadas is the best option for a ten year old during the height of deer fly season...?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 PM   #26
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just curious and I’m definitely no one to judge what anyone does with their child but I’m just wondering if the 22 mile French loop through the West Canadas is the best option for a ten year old during the height of deer fly season...?
I kind of thought things escalated a bit from the initial 1-2 day 5 mile max the OP initially quoted.

I think a lot depends on the kid. My 12yo son prefers campgrounds to the backcountry, even though he does really like hiking mountains. When I was a kid I would have taken wilderness all day long.

I still think the Fish Creek area is a good compromise... There's some good swimming and lots of lakes to see in a small area. Unfortunately, there's no mountain though within hiking distance. If you fork out for a canoe you can paddle in to the general store for some snacks.

Another suggestion to throw out there would be the Copperas and Owen Pond loop outside near Lake placid. I've read there's a good jumping rock on Copperas. My son loves those.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 PM   #27
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
I kind of thought things escalated a bit from the initial 1-2 5 mile max the OP initially quoted.

I think a lot depends on the kid. My 12yo son prefers campgrounds to the backcountry, even though he does really like hiking mountains. When I was a kid I would have taken wilderness all day long.
Agreed, and had I been weened as a ten year old in the heart of the West Canada region during the summer months Iíd probably have a higher threshold for deer flies, which have consistently been some of the worst Iíve ever experienced. I wish the best of luck.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #28
Bkgphoto

Quote:
Just curious and Iím definitely no one to judge what anyone does with their child but Iím just wondering if the 22 mile French loop through the West Canadas is the best option for a ten year old during the height of deer fly season...?
Itís always the height of one season or another.
Bkgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #29
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
It’s always the height of one season or another.
Agreed. The West Canadas have always been a favorite area to visit during the height of fall foliage & late fall, not so much during the summer months imo. There’s really not many other options for campsites other than the lean-tos (which often quickly fill up during the summer), and swimming options are rather limited, and the summer bugs are some of the worst in the Adirondacks. Again, I’m not trying to discourage or deflate any ideas, only speaking from my experience over the years. Pharaohs rule! Putnam Pond loop...
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #30
Bkgphoto

Quote:
Agreed. The West Canadas have always been a favorite area to visit during the height of fall foliage & late fall, not so much during the summer months imo. Thereís really not many other options for campsites other than the lean-tos (which often quickly fill up during the summer), and swimming options are rather limited, and the summer bugs are some of the worst in the Adirondacks. Again, Iím not trying to discourage or deflate any ideas, only speaking from my experience over the years. Pharaohs rule! Putnam Pond loop...
I will look into Putnam Pond loop as well. Are the deer flies really that much less?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #31
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
I will look into Putnam Pond loop as well. Are the deer flies really that much less?
I wouldn’t mention it if I didn’t believe it. 42 years later & counting.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #32
Bkgphoto

Quote:
I wouldnít mention it if I didnít believe it. 42 years later & counting.
It looks like Putnam pond relies on camping at the state campground. Can you recommend a loop that would be more wilderness somewhere in the 5-7 mile a day over 3 days?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #33
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
It looks like Putnam pond relies on camping at the state campground. Can you recommend a loop that would be more wilderness somewhere in the 5-7 mile a day over 3 days?
The loop around Putnam Pond (also known as Putts Pond) is about 6 miles, passing Clear Pond, Rock Pond, Little Rock Pond, North Pond (an extension of Putnam Pond), and Heart Pond. Grizzle Ocean is also nearby, and there’s the trail to Treadway Mountain which has fantastic views. There are lean-tos at Grizzle Ocean, Clear Pond, Rock Pond, and Little Rock Pond, as well as several nice tent sites to choose from. The old mine ruins & cave near the north end of Rock Pond are fun to explore, and the 300 foot waterfall along Rock Pond Brook is not to be missed. Shoot me a pm & I’ll send you a map I have.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #34
webby459

Justin's advice and local knowledge is excellent, and he's been at it way longer than I have!

I have 3 kids, all have birthdays over the summer and will be 10, 12 and 12 this year. What's good for one is not necessarily good for another. My older boy is good for basically unlimited backcountry time and just doesn't get bored (or tired), for whom a loop around the West Canadas wasn't that hard. In fact, he was itching for a few more days after being out 5 days last summer. The other two kids would have had enough after 3 day max.

The problem with the West Canadas is that there are no bail out opportunities. If you over commit kids, you run the risk of not only misery in the present, but you can also sour them to the activity permanently. Also, in my experience, kids generally won't care if you do a loop or an out-and-back. They will be more likely to notice the little things, like counting newts or checking out the cool bridge, tree roots or erratics, and won't mind seeing the same stuff again from the other direction.

Note also that in many many trips of all sizes with all ages of kids, with scouts, friends, my own kids, etc, MOST trips don't run as per my original itinerary and many trips have had us bailing out to some degree. Building in that option is always a good idea imo. And be willing to execute a bail out if even a little misery occurs, you'll be surprised to find that the trip will still be good and memories will follow years later anyway.

Edit add: the way to make an out and back more pleasant is to have some sort of terminal activity at the turn. Turning after an overnight, lunch, view or swim is a good way to do it.
webby459 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #35
Lucky13

There are leeches in most Adirondack lakes and streams. I have even found them inside my wader boots when taking stocking foot waders off after stream fishing. What you want to avoid are the muddy areas with lots of detritus from the trees on the bottom, this is their habitat. Find a sandy bottomed area or beach and they should not be a major problem. IF you do pick up a couple , they can be very good bait!
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #36
Lucky13

Quote:
They sell these weights that strap on to your legs. 10 lbs per leg ought to at least slow the deer flies down before they carry the lad back into the woods to devour him!
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #37

The only way to avoid bugs is to hike in October and November...

Agreed on the 'it depends on the kid' comments. I have 2 that could not be more different when it comes to dealing with when the fun meter is pegged on No Fun, at least on the kid scale.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #38
Bkgphoto

I would never bring my 15 year old daughter on a hike like that. My son loves the outdoors and hiking. He will go all day as long as he’s given time to stop and play. Either climbing boulders or playing in a stream. He will do it all day.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #39
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2505 View Post
The only way to avoid bugs is to hike in October and November...
I respectfully disagree. December through early May offers some wonderful bug-free outdoor fun, especially for youngsters. Even late Aug-Sept can be relatively bug free in most areas, but I definitely wouldn’t count on it in the remote deep backwoods areas like the West Canadas. Last September the stable flies were horrendous back there!
Old 06-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #40
Bkgphoto

Quote:
The loop around Putnam Pond (also known as Putts Pond) is about 6 miles, passing Clear Pond, Rock Pond, Little Rock Pond, North Pond (an extension of Putnam Pond), and Heart Pond. Grizzle Ocean is also nearby, and thereís the trail to Treadway Mountain which has fantastic views. There are lean-tos at Grizzle Ocean, Clear Pond, Rock Pond, and Little Rock Pond, as well as several nice tent sites to choose from. The old mine ruins & cave near the north end of Rock Pond are fun to explore, and the 300 foot waterfall along Rock Pond Brook is not to be missed. Shoot me a pm & Iíll send you a map I have.
Done. Would love to see the map. Thanks.