Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Questions about etiquette of AFR interactions

I am planning to go to Low's Lake in August, and as part of my pre-trip planning I have been reading trip reports which often mention talking to the AFR, formerly Ranger Dawn and now someone else if I understand correctly. I have never been to a lake yet where that is the norm, and there are a couple of trivial and silly questions which I have been pondering.

Am I supposed to seek out the AFR in some way, or can I assume that if they want to talk to me they will find me? And what is the proper mode of address for an AFR? Ma'am or Sir seems like a safe bet, and it also seems that Ranger is used by some people, at least to refer to them. When talking to a sheriff or deputy or state police person I usually call them Officer, but I don't know if an AFR is one or not.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
TrailBlaser

In the early 90s, I was an AFR on Lows (previously on the Oswegatchie). Although it was some time ago, during my 5 day patrols, I would paddle the lake (and the river) and if I saw an occupied campsite, pull up offshore and check-in with the occupants to see if they needed anything or had any questions. I made a journal entry after each meeting. I would also position myself in the early morning or evening at the upper dam or at the start of the lake where I would likely encounter new arrivals, people changing sites or leaving. I pretty much knew which campsites were being occupied during a patrol and would visit them after the occupants left; unfortunately sometimes having to cleanup, rebuild fire pits and even put out fires. So, assuming the job responsibilities and expectations haven't changed significantly, you can pretty much figure you'll run into the AFR at some point during your visit, provided it coincides with their patrol.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Wldrns

Dawn was usually very easy to locate from some distance away with her characteristic yellow double blade paddle flashing from a green kayak. I would see her some time or another on just about every trip. Sometimes I would stop at her home, which was an easy access from the lake if you knew exactly where. She always had detailed information on conditions of the lake and knowledge of campsite occupancy.

I just addressed her as "Dawn", and she called me by my first name also. I often had to interact with her husband "Greg" on BSA matters, as he was the caretaker of the BSA camp. I do know many rangers in both Regions 5 and 6, and we are all on first name greetings.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Well, to answer the actual questions. No, you don't need to check in with anyone. And you can address them as you'd address anyone else. They'll likely engage you. It's their job.

Just have fun, they aren't worried about campers like you. The less they do know you're even there, the better.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
Rich Lockwood

All the rangers have been great to deal with. I always just spoke to them with respect as all law enforcement officers deserve.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Beaver Chaw
Don't forget to Spit

My encounters have always been very positive on the various lakes, being respectful should be the order of the day be it fellow campers or the AFS. There was a time when they would chat over a cup of coffee but that was many years ago, times have changed
Old 07-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
Zach

Thank you all very much for your help. TrailBlaser, thanks, it's interesting to hear what it was like to be an AFR and what you did. Wldrns, we can't all be as special as you, unfortunately. Montcalm, thank you, that's just what I need to know. Rich Lockwood and Beaver Chaw, I agree that politeness is an important thing, and I figured I should find out the proper things to do and say before I go, which is why I asked these questions. Much obliged,
Zach
Old 07-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Lucky13

Zach, you live in Orwell, this should be easy. Remember the behavior you see exhibited by all the " visiting fishermen" to your neighborhood. Now do and speak the opposite, you should be fine!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah I don't see why anyone would be disrespectful. These people are just doing their job and just checking to make sure you are doing yours. If you are you're going to be best friends.

I've almost always had rangers stop and in at road side campsites and AFRs engage me in busy areas. It's never been a big deal. Sometimes you will see them on the water, sometimes they will stop at your site.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
Zach

I think I am fairly able to be generally polite and friendly to whomever I encounter, it's one of the things I have tried to learn to do as I go through life. I was just wondering if there is way that an AFR would likely prefer to be addressed, but it seems there is not, unless you know them personally.

On the occasions I have spoken with someone I know to be a police officer or other LEO I will often address them as "Officer", to show deference, but I am not sure if an AFR is actually a LEO in the same way that (as I understand it) a regular DEC officer is. If they're not then I suppose it would be more polite to say Sir or Ma'am or maybe Ranger, but I am not sure.

I haven't ever thought about what would be the most polite way to address a DEC ranger or AFR before. I think I only have met one once in the Adirondacks, on my way into Camp Santanoni years ago, and I just called him Sir since I didn't have time to think about it when he stopped his truck and asked me if I knew where I was going to camp and what the rules were. It was getting dark, and he wanted to make sure I knew not to camp in the buildings (which I assured him I did). I know DEC workers are overstretched in the Adirondacks, and I want to be encouraging or at least as little bother to them as possible if I encounter them while out and about.

Lucky13, my experience with fishermen has been that they are like other people, some are very polite and friendly, some are a bit notional, some keep to themselves, and then there are a few that park along our road in the middle of the bridge between the guardrails and cause a traffic hazard. I mostly only meet the ones who happen to come down Wart Road, which is likely only a small subset of the larger group of fishermen who come to Orwell.
Zach
Old 07-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #11
Lucky13

Town lines are " funny" up there, I think of Wart as being closer to either Lacona or Richland, my stomping grounds start just north of there off Van Auken, but mainly just to fish watch! And you are much more "understanding" of the fin chasers than a lot of my friends from Altmar and Pulaski! Especially considering that the brook up there is pretty small, heavily posted by the road crossing even though there are easements to the water, and basically only attractive to folks interested in pulling fish off their redds, except in summer when there are sometimes early migrants from the lake to observe.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #12
Vtdonn

We've always found the AFRs to be lovely folks and excellent resources for their particular regions. They're usually the first people that I seek out for campsite recommendations. At the same time, once I'm on the water I usually try to avoid contact with people and maintain some semblance of adventure, so I kind of wish they wouldn't check in on me. I don't want to hear the weather forecast, how many people are heading my way, that there has been a bear hanging around campsite 28, etc. I wish there was some way for them to keep tabs on folks without assuming we are all rubes who don't know that we need to leave a cold fire pit, leave no trace, only burn dead/down, and hang our food, but I understand that is an impossible thing to ask. Anyway, AFRs are your friends and I've never gotten the impression that they expect a high and formal level of etiquette or anything other than friendly banter.
Vtdonn is offline   Reply With Quote