Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #21
JohnnyVirgil

Saw something interesting yesterday --a guy riding a bike, and "taking the lane" but he also had some sort of plastic doohickies on the left side of his bike, basically these 3 foot long white sticks with a reflector on the end, that were somehow fastened to the front and back, sticking out at a 90 degree angle. So it was literally impossible to pass him without going entirely into the oncoming lane. Not sure how he turned left without them hitting the ground though.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
Riosacandaga
soggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY
Old 08-31-2018, 09:18 AM   #23
webby459

^It must say something about how weird I am that the most notable/impressive thing about that vid to me was that the person is wearing a kilt while riding the unicycle.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Who said off the road? and trolling? When there are 5 bikes in the road and i am driving the speed limit coming around a sharp left curve in the road and an oncoming tractor trailer is a foot away from me as i avoid you, that is trolling?
I think I misunderstood your original post. If your kid was in your car with you when your heart jumped then the threat to your child's safety is not bicyclists, it is your driving skills and habits.
Zach
Old 08-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #25
Jackson

I'll agree that BOTH cyclists and motorists need to slow down and drive more carefully and with common sense. I always give wide berths to cyclists,,,, but..one thing that a lot of cyclists do- and it is dangerous- is they don't ride single file, they ride alongside one another. If they could stop doing that and ride single file- it was make things safer.......

Old 08-31-2018, 10:45 AM   #26
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
I'll agree that BOTH cyclists and motorists need to slow down and drive more carefully and with common sense. I always give wide berths to cyclists,,,, but..one thing that a lot of cyclists do- and it is dangerous- is they don't ride single file, they ride alongside one another. If they could stop doing that and ride single file- it was make things safer.......

Sometimes riding 2 up is safer, forcing a driver to actually pass with care, and it’s actually easier - as the cyclists riding 2-3 across take up the same width as a slow moving vehicle (tractor, buggy, etc). When riding in a long line drivers attempt to pass by ‘sneaking’ by, then hammering the gas when they see another vehicle coming. A long line takes longer to pass, even though they are all tucked to the side. As a driver and cyclist I’d rather wait behind a small group taking up the same space as a car, than have to deal with a long line.

I’ll agree with you that cyclists can slow down when they evolve to go from 0-50 with the tap of a foot. Otherwise the amount of bad driving dwarfs the amount of bad cycling on any given day - but bias being a driver often blinds us to the unsafe and annoying behavior that happens behind the wheel.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #27
pigpen

ok bmike vt. you accused me of trolling when i think you sir are the troll here. I do not think you are getting my point. When there are 5,000-10,000lb vehicles using the road as they should, please understand your surroundings. I started this thread because this is a problem, if you would like to defend foolishness, start your own thread. When i have to swerve into an oncoming lane to avoid a bicycle that should be on the shoulder, then yes i am of course upset.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #28
pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I think I misunderstood your original post. If your kid was in your car with you when your heart jumped then the threat to your child's safety is not bicyclists, it is your driving skills and habits.
Zach
huh? yes you were right. you clearly misunderstood.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #29
pigpen

and habits? please explain
Old 08-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #30
pigpen

do you know me? i made no assumptions about you, so please explain
Old 08-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #31
pigpen

what are my habits, slick?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 PM   #32
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
ok bmike vt. you accused me of trolling when i think you sir are the troll here. I do not think you are getting my point. When there are 5,000-10,000lb vehicles using the road as they should, please understand your surroundings. I started this thread because this is a problem, if you would like to defend foolishness, start your own thread. When i have to swerve into an oncoming lane to avoid a bicycle that should be on the shoulder, then yes i am of course upset.
Hit the next one and see who goes to jail for manslaughter. It would also be deemed your fault if you hit an oncoming car trying to avoid a bicycle, buggy, pedestrian, etc...

The ones operating the vehicles need to be aware of their surroundings, and that includes other vehicles and pedestrians.

A bike that is riding legally in a lane that is hit will not be the fault of the bike, it will be the fault of the motorist, no matter where the bike is in the lane.

Do you get angry at people for stopping at green lights as you speed through reds? Because this is how ignorant you sound.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #33
pigpen

"There's a difference between taking the lane and owning your space. Taking the lane makes sense when you are at an intersection and need to turn left, but you only do it until you get through the intersection. Taking the lane on a highway is idiotic. Take your space, but also give cars enough room to get around you." montcalm, you literally said this
Old 08-31-2018, 09:25 PM   #34
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
"There's a difference between taking the lane and owning your space. Taking the lane makes sense when you are at an intersection and need to turn left, but you only do it until you get through the intersection. Taking the lane on a highway is idiotic. Take your space, but also give cars enough room to get around you." montcalm, you literally said this
Uh yeah, and I believe it because I don't trust drivers like YOU! But it's not the law. I don't choose to take the lane myself, but like I said, try your luck the next time you drive out of control and see whose fault it is when you injure or kill someone. It won't be cyclists if they are in their lane with the flow of traffic, or the oncoming vehicle if they are in their lane, I assure you that.

Everything that was said to you was to instruct you of the law and to try to keep you from killing someone.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #35
pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Hit the next one and see who goes to jail for manslaughter. It would also be deemed your fault if you hit an oncoming car trying to avoid a bicycle, buggy, pedestrian, etc...

The ones operating the vehicles need to be aware of their surroundings, and that includes other vehicles and pedestrians.

A bike that is riding legally in a lane that is hit will not be the fault of the bike, it will be the fault of the motorist, no matter where the bike is in the lane.

Do you get angry at people for stopping at green lights as you speed through reds? Because this is how ignorant you sound.
i don't speed through red lights but thank you for assuming i do. and no i don't get angry when i don't speed through red lights, but thanks for asking
Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #36
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
i don't speed through red lights but thank you for assuming i do. and no i don't get angry when i don't speed through red lights, but thanks for asking
But you feel compelled to break the law by passing unsafely when a bicycle is in the lane, or part of the lane?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #37
pigpen

Quote:
Uh yeah, and I believe it because I don't trust drivers like YOU! But it's not the law. I don't choose to take the lane myself, but like I said, try your luck the next time you drive out of control and see whose fault it is when you injure or kill someone. It won't be cyclists if they are in their lane with the flow of traffic, or the oncoming vehicle if they are in their lane, I assure you that.

Everything that was said to you was to instruct you of the law and to try to keep you from killing someone.
wow.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:34 PM   #38
pigpen

Quote:
But you feel compelled to break the law by passing unsafely when a bicycle is in the lane, or part of the lane?
what on gods green earth are you talking about? I said not and did not ever pass unsafely. Let me ask, why are you putting words in my mouth?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #39
pigpen

i think its bedtime montcalm, somebody is ti ti
Old 08-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #40
bmike-vt

Quote:
Passing a cyclist, buggy, scooter, trooper, moose, or construction equipment on a blind corner at speed where you need to avoid an oncoming truck is the definition of not understanding your surroundings.

‘Using the road as they should’ means driving at a safe speed for conditions. If you can’t pass safely, slow down, and wait. Yes, this might mean you have to drive below the speed ‘limit’ for a few seconds.

And if you had to swerve, again - you were driving too fast for conditions.

Driving is really pretty simple:
1. Keep the white line on the right.
2. Keep the yellow line(s) on the left, unless it is safe to cross in order to pass something in your lane.
3. Don’t hit things in front of you.
4. Don’t drive over the speed limit.
5. If you can’t see, slow down, or stop.
6. Pass things that might be slower than you or a hazard only when you can do it safely.
7. It’s ok to drive below the speed limit in order to follow rules 1-6.
Closed Thread