Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
tughillblueline

Question Use Of Nicks Lake Or Other "Closed" DEC Campgrounds/Day Use Areas

I know that Nicks Lake closed for camping on 9/3, but does anyone know the status of entry/use of the area for day use, i.e. hiking, paddling, fishing, etc. Is it officially "allowed" without fear of trespassing, or feeling like you shouldn't be there? I assume you would also NOT have to pay a day use per-vehicle fee, but that also facilities like restrooms, etc would be closed?

Anyone know the official status of Nicks or other similarly "closed" DEC areas?
tughillblueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Klinkhamer

Closed campgrounds

Most of these State campgrounds closed on Sep 3rd due to lack of staffing. Putnam Pond is still open till Oct 18th I think, but has a skeleton crew working there. Paradox Lake is closed but can still use boat launch only, campground is gated off. Can look all this stuff up on NYS DEC website.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Wldrns

The NYSDEC web site will answer all of these types of questions. Sometimes difficult to navigate the site, but its all there if you do a simple search.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24485.html

Nicks Lake Campground & Day Use Area
Please be advised: Due to infrastructure improvements this facility will close on Labor Day for the 2018 camping season. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause but appreciate your support as we continue to improve our facilities!

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/114494.html

DEC Asks Public Not to Use Nick's Lake Campground after Season Closes on September 3
Construction Underway on D-Loop and Infrastructure
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) announced today that work will begin Tuesday, September 4, to upgrade infrastructure and build a new D-Loop comfort station at Nick's Lake Campground in Old Forge, Herkimer County. Due to this extensive construction, DEC is advising the public that the campground will close on September 3, and historical use of the property during early bear hunting season and/or casual use is prohibited during construction.

The project includes plans to replace most of the water lines throughout the campground; install an underground electrical distribution system; update campsites #75 and #77 to current accessibility standards; and build a new D-Loop comfort station. Burying the electrical lines will reduce storm-related power outages at the campground and eliminate the need for yearly tree trimming.