Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Lake Lila campsite update??

Hey guys and gals,
I see on my DEC supplied Whitney Wilderness map (dated 10/2016) that there are 24 designated sites plus the lean to.
Is that count still accurate?

Is there a more current map?
As some of you may know, I'm currently homeless and don't have access to my Paddler's map...
Recently, I was at Long Pond and surprised at the disparity between map designated sites and real life number of sites.

Oh, and do any of the Lila sites have thunderboxes? I've passed through lately, but not camped on Lila for a few years.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

Was on Lila this summer and don't remember seeing any closed campsites, having looked at most of them. Didn't see any without thunderboxes either, but again, didn't do a systematic check. I'd recommend going clockwise around the pond from the parking.

Regarding Long, "disparity" is one way to describe the inaccuracies of the Paddler's Map. I'm not sure why they mark sites that have been closed for years and will remain closed for years. A ranger who told me closed sites could be closed for decades. One would welcome a comment from the publishers of this map. I messaged them from their website about how to submit updates for the map and never had a reply.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

St Regis CA underwent a major campsite "restoration" project a few years ago. Many LTs and tent sites were relocated away from riparian (water edge) area further inland...

Lila could use some relief, but has not yet had any site relocation that I'm aware of.

Nearly all of the sites on Lila have access to a pit privy (aka thunder box / "ups collector" - due to colour scheme). The tent sites near the lodge site share a privy. The lone site on Beaver River did not have one as of 3-4 year ago (IIRC).

Island sites can suffer from "overflow" by this time in the season, though typically the place is well managed (closely watched) and boxes do get re-located.

Skip the filtering and stop by the spring for your drinking water needs (bring a bladder or container for water transport)...
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

I was at Site number 4 last year, and I can tell you that the thunderbox was uncomfortably close to the tent site.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
yardsale

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
St Regis CA underwent a major campsite "restoration" project a few years ago. Many LTs and tent sites were relocated away from riparian (water edge) area further inland...

Lila could use some relief, but has not yet had any site relocation that I'm aware of.

Nearly all of the sites on Lila have access to a pit privy (aka thunder box / "ups collector" - due to colour scheme). The tent sites near the lodge site share a privy. The lone site on Beaver River did not have one as of 3-4 year ago (IIRC).

Island sites can suffer from "overflow" by this time in the season, though typically the place is well managed (closely watched) and boxes do get re-located.

Skip the filtering and stop by the spring for your drinking water needs (bring a bladder or container for water transport)...
Curious, where is the spring there?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Here's MDB filling a container back in 1983...you can clearly see the old pumphouse in the background. This was pretty near the tennis courts, IIRC.