Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Faline
reMember

Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois loop from South Meadow rd

My 2 hiking partners (J and Panda...my black and white 8lb Shih Tzu/Papillion mix) and I set out from our site on South Meadow road just before 7am on Saturday. The plan for the day was to reach Wright peak via Marcy Dam via Whale trail. Didn't turn out that way!

After going back and forth along the lean tos around Marcy Dam, searching high and low for Whale tail, we gave up and took the Van Hoevenberg trail to the Algonquin Trail.

We arrived on top of Wright peak at about 10am. Beauty! Feelin good, we decided to keep on trucking. Arrived at Algonquin peak just after 11am and gobbled down the sandwiches we'd gotten from Big Mountain Deli the eve before - sooo good! The trails to this point are in great condition and we weren't bothered by bugs. Despite the hot day I was happy to have a fleece to wear on the windy peaks.

Departed Algonquin for Iroquois around 11:30 with a new plan to head back to South Meadow road via Lake Colden trail and Avalanche Pass. The view between Algonquin and Iroquois were spectacular and I was kicking myself for forgetting my camera. It got really muddy between Boundary and Iroquois and I got muddy soakers a few times when what looked like a rock turned out to not be a rock. After a lot of soaking and scrubbing my toes are still a bit black. Overheard a conversation about Boundary peak being so named because different tribes inhabiting Algonquin and Iroquois. Will google later.

It was a steep descent from Boundary peak down the Lake Colden trail. Panda did great but I did have to carry her down some of the more precarious rock slabs. I wonder how many 9+ year old shih Tzu mixes can boast having done this epic hike?

It was an absolutely gorgeous route back to Marcy Dam and the boardwalks and ladders along Avalanche lake were a lot of fun (despite being pretty exhausted by this point and having to carry Panda up/down the ladders)

My hiking partner ran out of water before Lake Colden and filled her bladder pack with unfiltered stream water. So far so good... however, next time we'll be bringing Pristine.

We arrived back to our tent at South Meadow via the state truck road at about 5pm. I'm not sure how many miles/kilometers we hiked that day but we were pretty pooped!!!

AMAZING DAY
Faline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
daLunartik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faline View Post
We arrived back to our tent at South Meadow via the state truck road at about 5pm. I'm not sure how many miles/kilometers we hiked that day but we were pretty pooped!!!
I did a similar trip last year, though I started from the Loj. Everytrail.com track . From the Loj, it was 13.5 miles. I think South Meadows adds .5 miles.

The trip along Lake Colden and the Hitchup Matilda's is a great one, though I've found it it to be less than desirable when tired on the way home.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
richard1726

Love the trail report! I try to time that loop for when the mud down the steep to the Lake is frozen but before there is a requirement for snow shoes.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Rainman

We had a hard time finding the Whale Tale trail also. Great trip.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algonquin, avalanche pass, iroquois, lake colden trail, wright