Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could only own 10 albums the rest of your life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
    Having just 10 is really hard. There're a few more that would be tough to live without, but I'm not sure which of my original 10 I'd give up to have them. Example - AC DC: Back In Black.

Ordin
    I agree, and I had Back In Black in my original list before I edited it...along with And Justice For All, and Appetite For Destruction, but somehow they got removed for this forum...

Also, Somehow I forgot about Mad Season - Above.
    One of my favorite albums of all time!

Comment

I'll go with

Queensryche:Empire

Rush:Permenant Waves

Chickenfoot:Chickenfoot

Styx:The Grand Illusion

Styx:Pieces of Eight

Black Sabbath:Heaven and Hell

Queensryche:Operation Mindcrime

Judas Priest:British Steel

Type O' Negative:October Rust

Saxon:denim and Leather

In no particular order.

I'm a bit of a Rocker
      Last edited by rollinslover64; 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Excluding Clasical music.

Close to the Edge
        In the Court of the Crimson King
        White Album
        Dark Side of the Moon
        Everybody Knows this is Nowhere (Neil Young)
        Let It Bleed (or Beggars Banquet)
        Sgt. Peppers
        Are You Experienced
        Who's Next
        Led Zep 2
        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Now, this is a great topic...I love a lot of your choices ....but,o.k..now, where do I start..you, see ,I am soooo versatile with music..and ,I love all kinds...ranging from the Beattles first concert over here to Johnny Cash,Hank Williams,etc...to Lynrd Skynrd,Styx,Dave Mason,Pink Floyd,Led Z.,etc....and tons of artists in between..but, I will think about it ..so hang in there all..
          Last edited by wildbrookies; 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM.
          "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Woooh.!!Guess,.I`m surprised ..Neil isn`t half as crazy as he writes..I actually can relate to a lot of his choices..great albums Neil!!
            "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Neil Young -Decade (I know, it's kind of cheating...)
              Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
              U2 - Boy (gave up on them after War)
              The Cure - Disintegration
              Bob Mould - Workbook
              Beth Orton - Concrete Sky
              Concrete Blonde - Concrete Blonde
              Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
              Aimee Mann - I'm With Stupid
              Adele - 21

You maybe can tell, I prefer singer-songwriters that can bare it all...and I like the early, raw stuff, before everyone gets too complacent or turns into a parody of themselves.

Comment

Is it cheating to pick a 'Greatest Hits' album?

Comment

Originally posted by timmedee View Post
                  Is it cheating to pick a 'Greatest Hits' album?
                  nope -- it's your favorite, after all.
                  Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                    Neil Young -Decade (I know, it's kind of cheating...)

The Cure - Disintegration
                    Bob Mould - Workbook
                    AMEN!

War and Boy were U2's only offering worth a beans. After that, ego's and a complete lack of anger-fueled writing ruined a band that could have continued to be great. (I can already feel the rotten tomatoes flying my way already from the U2 zealots, and I care not.)

The Cure. As I sit here writing this, I'm listening to Wild Mood Swings. Robert Smith could sing the transcript of the Unibomber's Manifesto and it would draw me in. It's not what he sings (although his lyrics are beautiful) it's his pained, purely emotional, delivery that makes the Cure the mesmerizing band they are.

Bob Mould. Love Bob. More of a fan of his Husker Du work, with Warehouse: Songs and Stories being a CD that has been in constant rotation with me since it first came out 25 years ago. Bob's band Sugar was a bit less energetic than Husker Du, but their release Copper Blue is truly amazing.

Ordin
                    They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Comment

Originally posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
                      Bob Mould. Love Bob.
                      An Adirondack boy from Malone, NY.

Comment

Originally posted by adkh20 View Post
                        An Adirondack boy from Malone, NY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Mould
                        In Bob's book, See A Little Light, he writes quite a bit about his upbringing in the area.

Ordin
                        They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Comment

I used to work with one of his classmates...my coworker Jim used to tell the story about one of his trips to visit back home in Malone, and seeing Bob Mould standing in the middle of the street, dead of winter, in a T-shirt only, just staring. They exchanged a casual "hey Bob" and "Hey Jim" and moved on. My coworker Jim says that Bob Mould had a really sad look on him... This was just after Husker Du and before he produced Workbook.

Comment

Because of my father always hiking, camping and fishing with me it's not the same without hearing things of this list:

CCR: "hits"
                            Rolling Stones: Aftermath / Let it Bleed
                            Hendrix: Are you Experienced?
                            Willie Nelson gosh can't pick and album but Burning Ring of Fire live in concert with Johnny Cash will get even the most sober campfire singing.

Thow in a Bob Marley greatest hits album and 1 other album with a beat I can work out too and I'm all set.
                            A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
                              Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
                              Martin Sexton - Solo (Live)
                              Counting Crows - August and Everything After
                              Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea
                              Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
                              Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College
                              Jeff Buckley - Grace
                              Chris Trapper - Songs From the Middle of the World
                              Elliott Smith - New Moon

In no particular order, and I have lots of other favs., but these are my picks at the moment. I hope we are allowed to pick more than one album from an artist.
                              http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                                Did you get dropped on your head before they released The Unforgettable Fire?

I could perhaps see not liking them around the time they released "Pop" but UNFORGETTABLE FIRE?

Anyhow...Funny - I DELIBERATELY picked U2 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb for my U2 album because it IS a great album AND because it IS one of the later ones that many people always (quite mistakenly) slag in a "U2 sucked after such and such album!" kinda way...sure they have changed but their has been some VERY good music on all of their albums up to and including No Line on the Horizon. And you seriously gave up on them before Joshua Tree? Before Achtung Baby? Seriously?

But I'll forgive you - one of you guys picked Disintegration which IS a phenomenal album...but if you could stick through The Cure through Wild Mood Swings (love Bare and The 13th) SURELY you could stick with U2 through No Line on the Horizon!

Seriously though, All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb are essential albums from beginning to end!
                                Last edited by forest dweller; 06-11-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X