Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could only own 10 albums the rest of your life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah my 10 doesn't have room for great music by Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, REM...but if I made the list to 20 I'd probably just pick a second album by U2, Doves, The Smiths, The Cure, Elbow and Radiohead!!!

Then I could fit REM, The Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd!

Comment

I love the Cure, Zep, Floyd, U2, Radiohead, and The Smiths as well. Kid A and OK Computer are very close to my top ten. Floyd's live album (Pulse I think) is close too. Anyone who is in the area much should check out Martin Sexton. Seriously the best live performer I've ever seen. His live albums are unbelievable. Can't wait for his Lake Placid show in August.
      http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

been thinkin on this for a few days... here it goes;

Hendrix- band of gypsies
        Black crowes- croweology
        Arctic monkeys- whatever people say I am, that’s what im not
        Moe – L
        Bob marley – Babylon by bus
        Guns n roses- appetite for destruction
        Jay-z – American gangster
        Easy dub all stars – radiodread
        Drive by truckers- decoration day
        Greateful dead- without a net

Luckly I dont have to only listen to ten albums forever though, cause there's soooooo much music I like that didn't make the list... I think this is a good mix that could get me through just about any type of day or mood!
        "Ahh! The old fishing hole... so peaceful and relaxing. Doesn't even matter if I catch a single fish -- ah! Come on you stupid fish, take the bait! Don't make me come down there!" -Homer Simpson

Comment

Good to see some Bob Mould talk here on adkforum! I've always wondered if anyone was still around that knew him, good story stripperguy. As for favorite Bob album, I'd say its a tossup between Zen Arcade and Copper Blue. Different animals for sure and I guess it depends on the mood. Its nice to see that Bob's been getting his due lately from people like Dave Grohl who obviously owe a debt of gratitude to Bob and his groundbreaking work. If only someone could persuade Bob and Grant to end their feud and at the very least get together to remaster and re-issue the Husker Du albums.

Comment

Originally posted by forest dweller View Post
            Yeah my 10 doesn't have room for great music by Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, REM...but if I made the list to 20 I'd probably just pick a second album by U2, Doves, The Smiths, The Cure, Elbow and Radiohead!!!

Then I could fit REM, The Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd!

Since you eluded to a top 20, and with a giant bout of retrospect I figured all the good music that could have easily been in my Top 10 but didn't land there for some reason...

Some that coulda/shoulda been in the Top 10, or the Retrospect List -

Bad Brains: Black Dots (given the primitive recording conditions, this one is practically a live album and it's freekin' amazing!)

Bad Brains: I Against I (How did this one escape my Top 10?! )

The Ramones: The Ramones

Pearl Jam: 10

Led Zeppelin: BBC Sessions (without the benefit of studio magic to correct mistakes, finally we get the chance to see/hear that they really are human, and they rock)

Jane's Addiction: Ritual de lo Habitual (Stephen Perkins is my favorite drummer ever and Perry Ferrell is insane in a good way)

Nine Inch Nails: Pretty Hate Machine (all of us that have had women troubles can relate to this one!)

Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell (I know, it's almost sacrilegious to call it Sabbath without Ozzy, but Ronnie James Dio had the best vocals ever in rock-n-roll)

Alice In Chains: Facelift (this album foretold the pains and demons Layne Staley carried, we just never knew the depths of his pains until after his death)

Megdeth: Countdown to Extinction

This whole exercise has proven that a Top 10 or Top 20 is impossible. Simply impossible. There's too much great music out there, and too many individual moods to quell, too many to foster, too many too fuel, with all that music.

Who knows, some new album might come along this very afternoon and force its way onto this list. For sure I'm taking nothing off, so it'll have to squeeze in amongst its' new musical friends.

Ordin
            They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Comment

I suppose "Stardust" by Hoagy Carmichael is not on anyone's top 10?

Or anything by Lawrence Welk or Mitch Miller?
              "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post

My number 11 is a Perry Como album.
                The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

1. Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
                  2. Joni Mitchell - Blue
                  3. The Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
                  4. Pink Floyd - Echoes
                  5. Grateful Dead - Dead Set
                  6. Nick Cave - No More Shall We Part
                  7. The Black Keyes - Chulahoma
                  8. Pj Harvey - To Bring You My Love
                  9. Neil Young - Harvest
                  10. Allman Brothers - Dreams
                  Visit my photography blog here
                  Visit my general blog here

Comment

Originally posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
                    This whole exercise has proven that a Top 10 or Top 20 is impossible. Simply impossible. There's too much great music out there, and too many individual moods to quell, too many to foster, too many too fuel, with all that music.
                    Ah, but that's the fun - you have to take the time to think about whittling it all down to 10 if you could only have 10. It makes it interesting to see what people choose, who makes the cut etc...

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post

No, but "The Music Sounds Better With You" BY Stardust is close to making my list!

Comment

Why do you guys have to make me decide..

Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore (HM to Eat a Peach)
                        The Band - The Last Waltz
                        Old Crow Medicine Show - Tennessee Pusher
                        Radiohead - In Rainbows
                        Zeppelin - BBC Sessions
                        Metallica - ...And Justice for All (HM to S&M)
                        The Eels - Hits
                        Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
                        Flogging Molly - Live at the Greek
                        Pearl Jam - Ten

Too many options to take it to ten...

Comment

This is kinda cool.....although I can think of 100 that shoulda been there as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiC__...layer_embedded
                          bill
                          "a hotdog at the park is way better than roast beef at the ritz" ... humphrey bogart

Comment

Jazz ?

Just an observation … as an idiom, Jazz does not seem to get much mention among Adirondack enthusiasts. By my count the Miles Davis album– Kind of Blue - is the only Jazz album to make a list.

Comment

Originally posted by starzero View Post
                              Just an observation … as an idiom, Jazz does not seem to get much mention among Adirondack enthusiasts. By my count the Miles Davis album– Kind of Blue - is the only Jazz album to make a list.
                              Pat Metheny and Frank Zappa are on my lists. I'd consider those Jazz, certainly are played on Rochester's jazz station.
                              I see Joni Mitchell out there too, she definitely has a lot of jazz influence in her music.
                              Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" came close to making my top ten.
                              ~~Leave no trace~~

Comment

Not in any order:

The Who: Tommy
                                Who's Next
                                Live At Leeds

Beatles: Abbey Rd
                                Sgt. Pepper

Beethoven: 5th symphony
                                9th symphony

Derek & Dominoes: Layla

Allman Bros: Live At Fillmore or Eat A Peach (they're equal to me)

Cream: Live vol. 2

Lots & lots of HMs

Comment

Working...
                                X