Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
OntarioSkiBum

Camping on the Raquette between Long Lake and Stoney Ponds

I asked this on another thread and didn't get any response so I thought I'd get a separate thread going.

How is camping along the Raquette in this stretch on a summer Thursday if we don't get a lean to site? Will we find a suitable location to pitch a tent under the 150ft rule? Should i convince the group to invest in hammocks (I've got one).

I'll hijack my own thread as well with a separate question. We were thinking of using Raquette Lake Outfitters shuttle service to bring the vehicle to the Follensby Clear Parking lot. What's the parking situation like there? Will there be room for a truck and trailer? Will the trailer be safe there?

Thanks everyone. The trip is July but I'm already super excited!
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Buckladd

The only time I've been in there was on the 90-miler and I saw plenty of campsites, and a few lean-tos in there.

I wouldn't suggest parking a trailer at Follensby-Clear. It's not a big parking lot and you may tick off a few folks if you can't tuck your trailer out of the way. You've got a complete state boat launch at the north end of the lake and at The Crusher on Rt. 3.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
The only time I've been in there was on the 90-miler and I saw plenty of campsites, and a few lean-tos in there.

I wouldn't suggest parking a trailer at Follensby-Clear. It's not a big parking lot and you may tick off a few folks if you can't tuck your trailer out of the way. You've got a complete state boat launch at the north end of the lake and at The Crusher on Rt. 3.
I don't understand why you wouldn't do this? The boat launch on Upper Saranac is not far from Floodwood Rd, and it wouldn't be a long walk from either of the parking areas on Follensby to go retrieve the truck. You could also paddle back as you would be going that way to get to Follensby from USL.

There is a large, paved parking area on the north end of USL.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I don't understand why you wouldn't do this? The boat launch on Upper Saranac is not far from Floodwood Rd, and it wouldn't be a long walk from either of the parking areas on Follensby to go retrieve the truck. You could also paddle back as you would be going that way to get to Follensby from USL.

There is a large, paved parking area on the north end of USL.
Ok... Good point.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
bluequill

Today, I drove by the lower access/ parking on Follensby Clear. There were no cars there and it would be easy to back your vehicle and trailer into an out of the way spot. However, people tend to park there in any fashion they please as there is no prescribed way to park and his varies, day to day. It could be very difficult to do this in the summer with the lot half full PLUS you will be having someone you don't know handling this. If it was a vehicle without a trailer I would say go for it but since it is not, USL makes more sense. It is only a couple of more miles of paddling to the ramp.

If for some reason you are stuck on paddling into Follensby Clear, why not do as Montcalm suggested........paddle to the upper access/ parking on Follensby and walk about two miles to the USL ramp/ parking to retrieve your vehicle?

Run this by RRO and see what they have to add.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

There's a leanto on the Cold River not far upstream from the confluence of the Raquette.
There are several leantos below Raquette Rapids, two just below the rapids and another at Stoney Creek Ponds.
The whole left bank (downstream) is private below the rapids, all the way to Axton Landing. Owned by the River Ridge Hunt club.
I've made a tent stopover on the left bank below the Cold River, before the rapids.
Jim

I forgot the leanto at "Hemlock Hill" on the right bank about a mile below the rapids.

Last edited by Hard Scrabble; 05-19-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
bluequill

Drop your boats and equipment off at the ramp in Long Lake. Have RRO follow you to Axton Landing and drop off your trailer and vehicle and take you back to LL and begin paddling. Badda Bing! Badda Boom!

I have paddled the Raquette from Axton to the falls in mid summer on a weekend and the two leanto's that sit high on the bank were empty.

If you are using RRO I'm sure they could fill you in on the logistics.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
OntarioSkiBum

Thanks for the intel everyone.

I was looking at the NYS Lands Mapper and didn't see any tent sites... Just the lean tos. I know not everything is in there, so I'm glad there's more tent sites not shown. I will be investing in a paddlers map before departure. Would RRO be the best spot for this?

From their website, it sounds like RRO will drive the truck to the takeout for us, meaning we won't have to backtrack. I'll check in with them on the details. I'm thinking the state boat launch may be the best option.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 AM   #9
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Drop your boats and equipment off at the ramp in Long Lake. Have RRO follow you to Axton Landing and drop off your trailer and vehicle and take you back to LL and begin paddling. Badda Bing! Badda Boom!

I have paddled the Raquette from Axton to the falls in mid summer on a weekend and the two leanto's that sit high on the bank were empty.

If you are using RRO I'm sure they could fill you in on the logistics.
Sorry, I didn't read the other thread......thought it was too easy!

You might have a chance of parking the trailer at the southern access on Follensby Clear but it could be tight. Again, ask RRO what they would suggest,
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Sorry, I didn't read the other thread......thought it was too easy!

You might have a chance of parking the trailer at the southern access on Follensby Clear but it could be tight. Again, ask RRO what they would suggest,
They'll do the shuttle for us, dropping the truck off so we don't need to backtrack. They also mentioned it could be tight with a trailer... Maybe we can rig something up to get em all on the truck.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I would plan to stick to designated tent sites along that stretch of the Raquette River. It's a lot of flood plains, and your options outside of the designated sites may be limited. If you have a copy of the paddlers map, it's pretty reliable and accurate with regards to showing the campsite locations.

That stretch of the river can be particularly popular. Motor boats have legal access to Raquette Falls from Tupper Lake, and they will show up in droves on the river during the weekend. I'd say you have a pretty good chance at getting a choice spot with a Thursday start, but I would plan to have a few locations in mind in case your first pick is already occupied when you arrive.

If your group is over 9, remember that you need a permit from the DEC. The regulations aren't super clear on this with regards to the Raquette River portion of the High Peaks Wilderness specifically.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote