Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 AM   #201
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
In our research, we continually find Doug's height listed as 3' with his weight being 76 pounds. Did he have some sort of growth disorder or is the info just innacurrate?
g) Back then, we didn't have all-night infomercials on 60 channels to teach us how to keep our bodies in perfect proportion.
Now we do.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #202
Crowbarr

Quote:
So it's over ten years since I started this thread and I find myself helping one of my students research missing persons cases for a project. In our research, we continually find Doug's height listed as 3' with his weight being 76 pounds. Did he have some sort of growth disorder or is the info just innacurrate?
I don't have much expertise, but, in 1971, kids were quite a bit smaller.
I do know for certain, when I was 10, (not eight), I was skinny, and sixty lbs.
Average height, maybe 3'6"".
3' may be right for 8 yrs old back then, but 76 lbs would be fat. Somewhat unusual for a young boy back then.
Crowbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #203
St.Regis

Quote:
In our research, we continually find Doug's height listed as 3' with his weight being 76 pounds. Did he have some sort of growth disorder or is the info just innacurrate?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/legg_douglas.html
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #204
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Hmm, wrong county in the link. I live in Oswego County and I am about 140 miles from Santanoni, give or take a couple. I should know what county it's really in but I have forgotten.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #205
adkman12986

I do believe he was from the Syracuse area but was visiting what is now Camp Santanoni in the town of Newcomb Essex county.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #206
St.Regis

Zach, Obviously the article screwed up where he went missing. However, Grey Ghost was asking about his physical attributes. I think that the charleyproject.org article better describes a boy of his age. And yes, the Legg boy was from the Syracuse area.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #207
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

A day or so after I made this post his height was changed on Charlie Project. It was listed at 3' previously.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #208
Tug Hill

In the summer of 1971, I was a student at Paul Smith's Colledge, I and several other students went to Newcomb and participated in the search.
Temps were in the 90's and high humidity.
The thing that struck me the most about the search, was it was poorly executed. Too many inexperienced volunteers. I carried a large ball of string, on the far left of the line of searchers as we supposedly covered all of the area. I kept within sight of the person to my right, and they did the same. The person on the far right followed a string line that another group had laid down.
Several times when we entered thick spruce/fir swamps, the guys to my right ended up following me, thus, much of the area was poorly searched.
As I reflec back about the whole incident , I believe there was foul play involed, and the boy did not wander off into the ADK wilderness.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #209
Tug Hill

Another thing about this search. After the authorities had all but given up, the family hired the Sierra Clubs elite search team. When they arrived in the area, They arrogantly bragged about having a high success rate of finding lost people.

After a week or so they gave up, and their spoke person stated that it was some of the toughest terrain they had ever encountered.

It was, the area I was in was thick mosquito ridden spruce/fir swamp.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #210
adkman12986

Also lots of deep bogs and vast areas that are steep with lots of areas to crawl into.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #211
Tug Hill

I remember that they said the boy was only wearing a t shirt and shorts, and had sneakers on his feet. Not proper attire for the conditions July 1971.
Temperatures were in the high 90's, humidity was brutal, and the Mosquitos were unmerciful.

They trucked us into the woods in a army 6x6, and then we sat there most of the day, until a two way radio became available. They wouldn't let our group start our search grid without the radio. It was a sad situation, but we did get a good meal at the Newcomb Fire Dept., way better than the food at LongTin cafateria at Smitty's.

If I fact he was lost in that area, he surely died of exposer, the Mosquitos alone would have did him in after awhile.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #212
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
I remember that they said the boy was only wearing a t shirt and shorts, and had sneakers on his feet. Not proper attire for the conditions July 1971.
Temperatures were in the high 90's, humidity was brutal, and the Mosquitos were unmerciful.

They trucked us into the woods in a army 6x6, and then we sat there most of the day, until a two way radio became available. They wouldn't let our group start our search grid without the radio. It was a sad situation, but we did get a good meal at the Newcomb Fire Dept., way better than the food at LongTin cafateria at Smitty's.

If I fact he was lost in that area, he surely died of exposer, the Mosquitos alone would have did him in after awhile.
The food in Newcomb was prepared by my mother and a few friends. She was there from day one and was saddened when they called it quits. Lots of strange events from the beginning of that search.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #213
adkman12986

A few articles I found interesting

http://poststar.com/news/local/years...cc4c03286.html
http://paranormalunitedstates.com/pa...ar-old-mystery
Old 04-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #214
Tug Hill

Hey ADKman,

Thanks for posting those articles. I almost forgot that they searched a dry lake bed in Lewis County. I now manage that property for the owners who live in NJ.
It's about 8miles from my home.

My company was sub contracting for Gutchess Lumber Co. In the 80's and 90's, and drove by that property everyday during the summer. There were a bunch of black vehicles on the property most of the summer.

The authorities searched for a fewweeks and only found a muskrat skull.
The lake bed is part of the East Fork of the Salmon River here on Tug Hill.
The dam washed out and that's why it was a dry lake bed..

There were all kinds of stories circulating around about this search, even speculation that the deceased owner of the property, had killed his son ,(because he was missing)and buried him there.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #215
adkman12986

One thing that circulated around Newcomb area was that the uncle had an issue with little kids. True or not I'm not sure. Another was that Douglas was mentally challenged to some extent and the family placed him somewhere under an anomalous name to avoid embarrassment. One thing for sure, after spending 4 weeks in the woods 7 days a week and not finding much evidence of him or his whereabouts is a mystery that will probably go unsolved.