Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
verndacks

Raquette Lake Campground - Golden Beach Campsite Suggestions

Hi guys, planning to head up to Raquette Lake next summer with the wife and two dogs. We are looking to go to the Golden Beach state campground on the lake. Couple questions:

1.) What would be some on the water campsites that are highly recommended

2.) Have a Ranger bass boat, is their parking at the launch and would I be able to beach the boat either in front of the campsite or at the beach area. Its an 18 foot glass boat.

Again we really wanna get a nice site on the water that could have the boat there with us, but understand that might not work. Any suggestions would be awesome.
verndacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Waterspyder

The campsites directly opposite the boat launch are fairly open. There are campsites in the woods however within a few hundred feet but I don't know the site numbers. We used Golden Beach as a parking area when we paddled over to camp at Tioga Point. If you are looking for something with a little less civilization consider the Tioga Point campsites. Tioga Point has no water and its out houses instead of bathrooms. There are a number of spots at Tioga Point where you can beach your boat within feet of your campsite. Tioga Point is a boat access only campground with lean-tos. Golden Beach has bathrooms, warm showers and even an ice cream trunk that does rounds of the campsites. When we used the Golden Beach boat launch / picnic area to put in there were a number of power boats tied up to the shore near the boat ramp, but we noted they were bouncing pretty heavy from boat wakes so I'm not sure you'd want to leave you boat there for a long time. People seemed to be leaving their boats on trailers near the boat ramp rather then taking them back to their sites. My personal choice would be to camp at Tioga Point and with an 18 ft Ranger run over to Golden Beach campground when I desired civilization or a shower, in your boat the ride would be 10-15 minutes. If you decide to go to Tioga Point you could put-in at Golden Beach and leave you car/trailer in the lot near the boat ramp.
Waterspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
OntarioSkiBum

Waterspyder is dead on. You'll have a private dock at Tioga too.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
RL13436

I have a cabin on the lake. I too agree with what Waterspyder posted. Tioga is much more secluded. There are also scattered around the lake several public land places where there are camping sites with leanto and outhouse. Those are available on a first come first serve basis. Here is a pdf map of the lake. One such site is directly opposite Tioga across the 20' circle where the shoreline sort of juts out. That is a quieter part of the lake. The other one I know of is past Tioga to the north part of the lake through the needles then heading toward the river that leads to the carry to Long Lake. Since I cannot put an "X" on the map, on the very north side of the lake, there is a small jut out into the lake just before the lake narrows to the river. There are leanto there. I have parked a ski boat there, but there is no sand beach.

If you are looking for alternative launches, Burke's Marina about a half mile south of Golden Beach on 28 is an option as well as in the town itself. Many people launch in town and leave their trailer next to the launch if there is room or behind the church across from the post office.

At GB, the wooded secluded campsites with lake frontage are, I believe from the high 180's through the low 200's. Here is a link to a pdf of a map
RL13436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
verndacks

Wow, that helps a TON. Thanks again!
verndacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
ADKBOUND

Have to agree that Tioga Point is more remote than Golden Beach but it depends what type of camping you want & access to your vehicle since Tioga is boat access only.
The ramp at the campground is very shallow & could damage your trailer. Burkes is a nicer ramp & easy for gas & supplies.
You can anchor your boat near the beach but make sure you have a good anchor system because of the strong wind driven waves. Some people leave thier boat at the waters edge all day & night but are surprized when the boat is swamped by the waves when the wind picks up. Just anchor out in 3 ft deep with sand augers & plenty of line.

That same wind is great for very fast sailing & keeping the bugs down in black fly season.
ADKBOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
abodner

Tioga Pt campground

Just a follow up question about Tioga Pt - if we camp there and rent a motor boat, does anyone know if we can tie up at the dock(s) all week? it seems there is a dock (or maybe two) but not sure if campers are allowed to use them like that. thank you, AB
abodner is offline   Reply With Quote