Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > ADK Forum Classifieds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
bioguide

Employment Opportunity-Lab Tech-Schenectady

Some may be aware that I own and operate a small lab identifying benthic macroinvertebrates (i.e. mayflies, stoneflies, caddisflies, midges, etc...) for state and county agencies, private companies, other consultants, and non-profit groups. These organisms are collected from streams, rivers, and lakes and based on the particular community structure at the collection site, are used to determine its water quality. We currently receive samples from GA, WV, NH, VT, CT, NY, AZ, and the USGS (including lakes/streams in the ADKS). From these samples we pick and identify hundreds of thousands of organisms from the ~2 thousand samples we receive/year. I'm in need of part-time or per-diem lab technician to help process these samples (this could work into full-time). The job includes a lot of time looking through a stereo microscope. If you or someone you know are interested in this type of work please contact me at: jkn@rwaa.us.

I post this job offer here as it might be of interest to someone retired or semi-retired and wanting to work at something more interesting than...let's say... as a Big Store Door Greeter.

Thanks for the consideration.

Moderators: Please accept my apologies if I shouldn't have posted something like this but I didn't find anything explicitly barring the post.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Wldrns

Irecently trained as a wave volunteer for the dec, and am collecting samples from local streams. I wish i could better identify the critters i find in my net.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Irecently trained as a wave volunteer for the dec, and am collecting samples from local streams. I wish i could better identify the critters i find in my net.
We currently do all the identification for the NYS DEC Stream Biomonitoring Unit's statewide monitoring program. Come work for us and you'll get to identify and learn their life histories better.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Wldrns

Sorry, officially retired 3 years ago, got work and activity enough part time teaching land nav to LE and SAR, plus having general fun in the outdoors
Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I'd be interested , but live in CT , so a bit of a commute. Got my camp in the Adks but that would be an even longer commute. I'm a fly fisher, fly tier and armature entomologist but not at the level of expertise that you are in need of. Would like to learn more though.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
Some may be aware that I own and operate a small lab identifying benthic macroinvertebrates (i.e. mayflies, stoneflies, caddisflies, midges, etc...) for state and county agencies, private companies, other consultants, and non-profit groups. These organisms are collected from streams, rivers, and lakes and based on the particular community structure at the collection site, are used to determine its water quality. We currently receive samples from GA, WV, NH, VT, CT, NY, AZ, and the USGS (including lakes/streams in the ADKS). From these samples we pick and identify hundreds of thousands of organisms from the ~2 thousand samples we receive/year. I'm in need of part-time or per-diem lab technician to help process these samples (this could work into full-time). The job includes a lot of time looking through a stereo microscope. If you or someone you know are interested in this type of work please contact me at: jkn@rwaa.us.

I post this job offer here as it might be of interest to someone retired or semi-retired and wanting to work at something more interesting than...let's say... as a Big Store Door Greeter.

Thanks for the consideration.

Moderators: Please accept my apologies if I shouldn't have posted something like this but I didn't find anything explicitly barring the post.
I'll bump this.

I'd be happy to have another forum member working here. Part time and flexible hours. If you are interested send me a PM.