Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
bioguide

Adirondack "Snoskishoe"

While winter isn't completely over I'm already thinking & planning for next winter. You should be too. For those that enjoy hunting, hauling a sled, skiing, and snowshoeing in the back county's rolling hills and flats consider a pair of these:

https://youtu.be/8yzEODYlNm4

Patterned after Russian hunting skis I had these custom made last year which I dubbed "Adirondack Snoskishoes". They perform well as demonstrated. They have superior flotation in deep snow and are "just my speed". The craftsman commissioned to build the skis has agreed to build a limited number (5 pairs) this coming summer. They will be shipped in late September 2017. I currently have three orders and thought I would get the word out to others that may be interested in ordering a pair. Orders need to be in by the end of April. The cost, for these custom skis, made in Vermont, are $575/pair. They do not include the skins or bindings. Contact me for further ordering details.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet
Likes to hike

Looks similar to Altai hok ski.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
Looks similar to Altai hok ski.
I would say they are more similar to Russian/Siberian Hunting skis. Which are twice as wide as the Hok's and provided a significant improvement in flotation. The skins are removable and can be customized as well.

The Hok's, which I own as well, were patterned (down in my opinion) after Eurasian skis to target the north american consumer.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Justin

Very cool!
$575...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
$575...
Custom and hand crafted in USA, USA, USA.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Justin,

I figured with those mad dh skillz you have i.e. ripping double diamonds and jumps that you'd already have a pair of Hoks for the wilderness.

I bet if you did those fancy slowshoes would be collecting dust in your closet like my many pairs are...

The Adirondack shoes are cool and are much like trapper skis of Siberia, but my issue would actually be the width.

One reason I like skiing more than snowshoeing is the width difference. I can keep my feet at a much more natural, for me, gait. 100mm underfoot is now issue to keep the feet in their natural stance, but wider than my boots, say 150 or so and I have more of a tendency to catch the inside edges.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Justin,

I figured with those mad dh skillz you have i.e. ripping double diamonds and jumps that you'd already have a pair of Hoks for the wilderness.

I bet if you did those fancy slowshoes would be collecting dust in your closet like my many pairs are...
Yeah I'm definitely no longer the ski junky that I was in my late teens & early twenties. One of these years I'll get back into backcountry skiing again. I really like the ski-shoe concept & design, and often wish that I had something similar on certain trips.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote