Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Picasa retired??

I just tried to link one of my photos...long story short, Picasa has been retired!!
Somehow, they have maintained the links to previously posted stuff, but all of my bookmarked Picasa sites (including my own) are now invalid.

I'm not sure how or where to find the address for my photo albums that now reside at Google Photos.
Anyone else notice their Picasa sites vaporize? Or am I some sort of stone age hold out??
Old 08-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Mine too. The photos seem to all be on Google photos, but it's not as easy to deal with them.

I still have the Picasa front end on my computer though. Don't know how long it will stay working for uploading etc.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet
Likes to hike

I had Picassa links on my old blog, but they still seem to work.

The links re-direct to Google album archive.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also have a Google+ account.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

They ported everything over to Google Photos. Which sucks, because the Google Photos interface sucks. And there doesn't seem to be any way to share an index of all of your albums yet.

If you go to picasaweb.google.com you can see an archive of your photos but there's nothing that lets you share any of it with the public. Also, Google Photos doesn't work as an image host like Picasaweb did, so no uploading an image to Google Photos to be posted inline on forums anymore.

I'm in the market for a new image host. I'm willing to pay a modest annual fee. If anyone finds something that is good, I'd be interested to hear about it.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Trail Boss

Alphabet/Google. How many of their products, out of their extensive hodge-podge of products, have they inadvertently or intentionally knee-capped or taken out behind the barn?

Next up is Hangouts. Allo (messaging) and Duo (video/voice) are slated to replace Hangouts for consumers. Hangouts is to be transitioned for business use. There's also Google Messenger which is like Allo; I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a retirement party in the not too distant future.

Thank goodness GMail is safe from this chaos. Oh wait a sec, Google also offers Inbox ...

At least Google didn't do what Microsoft did with OneDrive in May 2015. They eliminated the ability to link OneDrive photos to web-sites, blogs, forums, etc. Not only did they fail to announce the change to their clients they never acknowledged being responsible for the alteration. People began complaining that their linked photos were disappearing after 24 hours. Their support department gave people misleading and ridiculous instructions to "fix the problem" (like try opening a new OneDrive account!). It took them nine months to correct the problem. I had used OneDrive for years and gave up on it after 2 months of "talk to the hand" from Microsoft. Portions of my blog still have broken photo links. Someday I'll get around to fixing all those busted links ... and be reminded of Microsoft's disdain for its customers.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 08-18-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

This is why Cloud sucks. I saw a great talk by Steve Wozniak who went on and on about the need to hold your own data in your own hand. Which is why until recently I've hosted my own site using the opensource Gallery tool. I've moved some things to Flickr just because my home internet connection is really slow, and for people viewing my pictures it's kind of lame.

Always own your data.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
... Or am I some sort of stone age hold out??
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
...If anyone finds something that is good, I'd be interested to hear about it.
I find that sharing photos, photo albums, videos, stories, etc with friends & family, and fellow outdoor enthusiasts is a lot of fun & super easy to do on Facebook.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I find that sharing photos, photo albums, videos, stories, etc with friends & family, and fellow outdoor enthusiasts is a lot of fun & super easy to do on Facebook.
Funny guy!!
I don't know about Brendan, but you know I'm not a fan...
I haven't tried any uploads to Google photos yet.
Years ago I had a Webshots site that completely vanished without a trace, and stranded all the links.
Maybe I'll try Photobucket or some others?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
Trail Boss

FWIW, Imgur.com is a mainstay with Redditors. I tend to post "throwaway" photos there (visual examples of one thing or another) and use Flickr for sharing hiking photos. Naturally, all my photos are stored at home and backed up to a separate hard-drive. The cloud only serves as a sharing medium and not my principle storage area.

Example of a "throwaway" photo I have on Imgur (ultra-basic 1st aid kit):

Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
bioguide

I understand Picasa is retired and my photos migrated to Google Photos so why not just use your Google Photos? I'm posting below a link to an album and inserting a photo as a trial (although I should resize the photo but both links seem to work fine):

Here is a link to the album: https://goo.gl/photos/u8aEERqPy3js4gyt5

Here is a photo:

Old 08-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I've used Google Photos too, it seems ... less intuitive than Flickr somehow.

My real photos live on a server in my basement with a RAID-1 mirror that I back up to a RAID-5 set.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #12
Trail Boss

@AllDownhillFromHere

Industrial-strength!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Aye, you don't want to have to explain why all your wedding pictures disappeared.

There's also cheap/free things like Amazon Glacier/Carbonite/blah-blah... see "Cloud".
Old 08-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
Here is a photo:

Ahhh....thanks for that!
I miss winter!
It was another long hot & sweaty day at work today, and I'm very much looking forward to days like this instead of sweating like a fat pig all day!
Bring on the fall & winter!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
I understand Picasa is retired and my photos migrated to Google Photos so why not just use your Google Photos? I'm posting below a link to an album and inserting a photo as a trial (although I should resize the photo but both links seem to work fine):

Here is a link to the album: https://goo.gl/photos/u8aEERqPy3js4gyt5
Hey almost neighbor,
I can do the same, but....there seems to be no mechanism for posting a link to ALL of the albums. Or maybe there's a hidden icon?

Link to album: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...3cCggtFOFCY5P7
Old 08-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
FWIW, Imgur.com is a mainstay with Redditors.
I'm a big fan of Imgur. I think it's easy to use and simplistic enough while still looking nice. I have most of my hiking photos uploaded up there into separate albums. I keep most albums "hidden" meaning other people can only view them if you have the link. But you can make albums public and then share the list of all your albums. Here's my list of albums shared to the public (don't mind the randomness of them) http://cuterocky.imgur.com/

And here's a list of the some of my "hidden" albums that I link to from my blog http://ishouldgohiking.blogspot.com/p/photo-albums.html

Another cool feature on Imgur is that it will give you different links for different sizes of your original photo. It's all from the same photo you uploaded, just picked a different size for the link. For example

Original size

Big square

Large thumbnail

Huge thumbnail (a great size for posting pics on this forum)
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
Adk Keith
Telemarker

I have linked to Facebook photos, but a couple of years down the road they are no longer linked. I assume the links in FB are not static.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #18
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

For what it's worth--I just updated my broken Picasa link to my photos. But I still haven't figured out how to directly guide someone to ALL of my albums...
Old 09-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #19
adironor

Thanks for posting the photos, I'm impressed how fast they show up on the page forum!
adironor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #20
Chipps79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Next up is Hangouts. Allo (messaging) and Duo (video/voice) are slated to replace Hangouts for consumers. Hangouts is to be transitioned for business use. There's also Google Messenger which is like Allo; I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a retirement party in the not too distant future.
That sucks! I'm regular user of Google Hangouts! Has anybody tried Duo as yet?

I did a bit of further reading on it here: https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/09/go...chat-and-meet/
Chipps79 is offline   Reply With Quote