Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
bioguide
Member
 
bioguide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 341
Pillsbury Mountain Trailhead

Can anyone tell me if the Jessup River and Military roads are open to drive to the Pillsbury Mountain Trailhead?
__________________
My YouTube channel
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ
 
DSettahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,372
According to the DEC trail conditions site, the gates are still closed. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9200.html

In a typical season, those roads won't dry out until late May.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
bioguide
Member
 
bioguide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 341
Thank you DSettahr.
__________________
My YouTube channel
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,188
This reminded me of a long ago conversation with guy who lived at Perkins Clearing.
i can't remember his name, but he was always willing to share his home baked bread.
Anyway, he told me of the time when he went dancing down at Speculator.
When he tried to go home, he found the road covered with ice.
He had to walk home with his dancing shoes on.
True story.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
This reminded me of a long ago conversation with guy who lived at Perkins Clearing.
i can't remember his name, but he was always willing to share his home baked bread.
Jim
Leighton Slack perhaps..."The Hermit of Perkins Clearing" during the '70's & early '80's?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
EagleCrag
Member
 
EagleCrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 1,159
I was near Mason Lake yesterday (Wed) and walked down the road around the lake (past the gate) for about a mile. I could tell the road had been freshly graded and raked. On the way back a Town of Lake Pleasant highway truck came from Perkins Clearing and they stopped and we talked for a bit. I asked them when they would be opening the road and they said Thursday. I took that to mean today which is quite a bit earlier than Memorial Day weekend. If you wish to verify this (to insure I don't have my Thursdays misinterpreted) you could call the Lake Pleasant Highway Department and they should be able to clarify it.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
bioguide
Member
 
bioguide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I was near Mason Lake yesterday (Wed) and walked down the road around the lake (past the gate) for about a mile. I could tell the road had been freshly graded and raked. On the way back a Town of Lake Pleasant highway truck came from Perkins Clearing and they stopped and we talked for a bit. I asked them when they would be opening the road and they said Thursday. I took that to mean today which is quite a bit earlier than Memorial Day weekend. If you wish to verify this (to insure I don't have my Thursdays misinterpreted) you could call the Lake Pleasant Highway Department and they should be able to clarify it.
Thanks Eagle Crag...timing is everything.
__________________
My YouTube channel
bioguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Hard Scrabble
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Leighton Slack perhaps..."The Hermit of Perkins Clearing" during the '70's & early '80's?
He was quite a guy, welcomed anyone to his cabin.
You always had to try his home baked bread.
Those were the good days, Justin.
I feel lucky to have known him.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,676
If you ever get the chance, check out the book Excuse Me, Sir... Your Socks Are On Fire - by Larry Weill. Lot's of funny stories about Mr. Weill's time as an AFR in the West Canadas. One chapter is about Leighton Slack, which also mentions his dancing in Speculator.

Larry Weill also has a follow-up book called Pardon Me, Sir... There's a Moose in Your Tent loaded with more funny stories.

I once read an entry in the Beaver Pond lean-to log book written by Larry Weill, when he brought his daughter on a camping trip to Cedar Lakes for her first time. Pretty cool entry to read!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you ever get the chance, check out the book Excuse Me, Sir... Your Socks Are On Fire - by Larry Weill. Lot's of funny stories about Mr. Weill's time as an AFR in the West Canadas. One chapter is about Leighton Slack, which also mentions his dancing in Speculator.

Larry Weill also has a follow-up book called Pardon Me, Sir... There's a Moose in Your Tent loaded with more funny stories.

I once read an entry in the Beaver Pond lean-to log book written by Larry Weill, when he brought his daughter on a camping trip to Cedar Lakes for her first time. Pretty cool entry to read!
Thanks, Justin.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
DuctTape
Out of Shape
 
DuctTape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,702
As humorous as Larry Weill's book are, I found myself weeping towards the end. Maybe I am just a wussy.
__________________
"There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.