Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
bioguide

Pillsbury Mountain Trailhead

Can anyone tell me if the Jessup River and Military roads are open to drive to the Pillsbury Mountain Trailhead?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

According to the DEC trail conditions site, the gates are still closed. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9200.html

In a typical season, those roads won't dry out until late May.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
bioguide

Thank you DSettahr.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

This reminded me of a long ago conversation with guy who lived at Perkins Clearing.
i can't remember his name, but he was always willing to share his home baked bread.
Anyway, he told me of the time when he went dancing down at Speculator.
When he tried to go home, he found the road covered with ice.
He had to walk home with his dancing shoes on.
True story.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
This reminded me of a long ago conversation with guy who lived at Perkins Clearing.
i can't remember his name, but he was always willing to share his home baked bread.
Jim
Leighton Slack perhaps..."The Hermit of Perkins Clearing" during the '70's & early '80's?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
EagleCrag

I was near Mason Lake yesterday (Wed) and walked down the road around the lake (past the gate) for about a mile. I could tell the road had been freshly graded and raked. On the way back a Town of Lake Pleasant highway truck came from Perkins Clearing and they stopped and we talked for a bit. I asked them when they would be opening the road and they said Thursday. I took that to mean today which is quite a bit earlier than Memorial Day weekend. If you wish to verify this (to insure I don't have my Thursdays misinterpreted) you could call the Lake Pleasant Highway Department and they should be able to clarify it.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I was near Mason Lake yesterday (Wed) and walked down the road around the lake (past the gate) for about a mile. I could tell the road had been freshly graded and raked. On the way back a Town of Lake Pleasant highway truck came from Perkins Clearing and they stopped and we talked for a bit. I asked them when they would be opening the road and they said Thursday. I took that to mean today which is quite a bit earlier than Memorial Day weekend. If you wish to verify this (to insure I don't have my Thursdays misinterpreted) you could call the Lake Pleasant Highway Department and they should be able to clarify it.
Thanks Eagle Crag...timing is everything.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Leighton Slack perhaps..."The Hermit of Perkins Clearing" during the '70's & early '80's?
He was quite a guy, welcomed anyone to his cabin.
You always had to try his home baked bread.
Those were the good days, Justin.
I feel lucky to have known him.
Jim
Old 05-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

If you ever get the chance, check out the book Excuse Me, Sir... Your Socks Are On Fire - by Larry Weill. Lot's of funny stories about Mr. Weill's time as an AFR in the West Canadas. One chapter is about Leighton Slack, which also mentions his dancing in Speculator.

Larry Weill also has a follow-up book called Pardon Me, Sir... There's a Moose in Your Tent loaded with more funny stories.

I once read an entry in the Beaver Pond lean-to log book written by Larry Weill, when he brought his daughter on a camping trip to Cedar Lakes for her first time. Pretty cool entry to read!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you ever get the chance, check out the book Excuse Me, Sir... Your Socks Are On Fire - by Larry Weill. Lot's of funny stories about Mr. Weill's time as an AFR in the West Canadas. One chapter is about Leighton Slack, which also mentions his dancing in Speculator.

Larry Weill also has a follow-up book called Pardon Me, Sir... There's a Moose in Your Tent loaded with more funny stories.

I once read an entry in the Beaver Pond lean-to log book written by Larry Weill, when he brought his daughter on a camping trip to Cedar Lakes for her first time. Pretty cool entry to read!
Thanks, Justin.
Jim
Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
DuctTape
Out of Shape

As humorous as Larry Weill's book are, I found myself weeping towards the end. Maybe I am just a wussy.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote