Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
RickG55

Lake Lila Ice Out

My nephew and I would like to plan a camping/paddling/fishing weekend at Lake Lila the last weekend of this month or the first in May. Are we too early with regards to ice-out? Thanks for any advice.
RickG55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Here's how Lila looked the 1st weekend of May, 2013.
This year has been relatively mild, I would expect similar conditions.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
RickG55

Very helpful, thank you.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Even if the ice is out,
How are you planning on getting there?
It's a ~5 mile portage unless the access road is dry and DEC opens it to motor vehicles... which could be as late as Memorial day.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Even if the ice is out,
How are you planning on getting there?
It's a ~5 mile portage unless the access road is dry and DEC opens it to motor vehicles... which could be as late as Memorial day.
It's just a hop, skip and a jump going through Bog River Flow or Little Tupper...
Old 04-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
RickG55

That's what I was thinking.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Wldrns

Choose your route wisely, the court case is not yet completely settled. The spring that Lila was first opened to the public my wife and I backpacked by hiking in there along the road, we tented, but did not bring a canoe. The Nehasane lodge was a smoking ruin at the time, with chimneys still standing upright in the rubble.

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-09-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
It's just a hop, skip and a jump going through Bog River Flow or Little Tupper...
My bad, I read "camping/paddling/fishing weekend at Lake Lila" VS "camping/paddling/fishing weekend to Lake Lila".

Just wanted to make sure OP knows the drill.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
Swamp Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG55 View Post
My nephew and I would like to plan a camping/paddling/fishing weekend at Lake Lila the last weekend of this month or the first in May. Are we too early with regards to ice-out? Thanks for any advice.
Just a heads up...if you do the traverse from Little Tupper to Lila during the time frame you mentioned, be aware that some sections of the carry trails are likely to be under water (if the ice is out). My son and I encountered such conditions some years back when we did the trek in late June after a stretch of wet weather.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #10
rickhart

I wouldn't consider from Little Tupper to Lila a hop, skip & jump. There's pretty extensive carrying, some messy put-ins/take-outs, and the endless meanders of Shingle Shanty. It's a great trip but maybe not for a weekend? From Bog River Flow would be easier, though even then the stretch from Low's to Lila has the medium long carry with the RR tracks, and a rough bit near the Lila end.
But Stripperguy knows the area well so maybe it's his sense of humor.....
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #11
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

For fit person with light load, it can probably be done in 5-6 hours from Lows (perhaps longer since the road to lower dam would probably be closed also) and 7-8 from Little Tupper. If you add the time to set/break camp at Lila, for a typical weekend (2 day vs "long" 3 day) it would be a 'destination' trip rather than a 'stay' trip...

Wheeling a cart on the access road would probably take 2-4 hours depending on conditions and load.

Is there any place to park at Sabbatis and access the tracks? It's longer vs. the access road but rolling a cart on rails would be a breeze compared to the up/down on the washed out gravel road... (before trains start operations)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
Rich Lockwood

I always thought a lite cart that could ride on the rails would open up a lot of paddling possibilities along this and other railroads. maybe just a wider axle and different wheels on a regular cart?
I know walking on the ties is a problem. maybe a lightweight pedal car? Guess I'm getting carried away.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
I wouldn't consider from Little Tupper to Lila a hop, skip & jump. There's pretty extensive carrying, some messy put-ins/take-outs, and the endless meanders of Shingle Shanty. It's a great trip but maybe not for a weekend? From Bog River Flow would be easier, though even then the stretch from Low's to Lila has the medium long carry with the RR tracks, and a rough bit near the Lila end.
But Stripperguy knows the area well so maybe it's his sense of humor.....
Yeah, my tongue in cheek comments don't translate that well over the keyboard.
If the access to the lower dam is not open, there is the alternate put in farther up the road to Horseshoe.
And carting in on the Lila access road wouldn't be the worst thing, it's mostly flat. In fact, much flatter than the access to Boreas Ponds...and a better paddling destination, IMHO.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Rick, did that trip materialize? any blackflies out yet in that area?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Per this link, DEC reports both Lake Lila access road and Lows Lower dam roads are are open to public motor vehicle traffic. Report dated May 4, 2017
Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
RickG55

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Rick, did that trip materialize? any blackflies out yet in that area?
No, never materialized. My nephew doesn't have anywhere near the amount of vacation time I have, so it looks like it's going to be mid-June before we get there. Hoping for the best with the bugs.