Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

Rollins pond campground question

Can One drive in, park and launch near the campground and primitive camp elsewhere?
Thanks, Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. They'll definitely let you in with a day pass but I'm not sure what they'd do if they saw your car there overnight. Might get towed.

There are lots of other places to park, I've always just launched elsewhere to paddle that area i.e. one of the two Follensby parking lots, along Floodwood road near the Floodwood launch, or at the parking lot at Hoel Pond.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
sweeper

You could leave the car on A16 for the weekend, I won't have one.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Swamp Booger

Sweeper's offer sounds like a good idea. But depending whether you arrive before or after when he check's in, he may need your car make, color and plate # for the site registration.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
sweeper

I gotta believe that if Rich got a day permit and parked in A16 the Park Police aren't going to check, especially this early in the season and for one night
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
nutmeg creeker

It never hurts to ask at the entrance. If the answer is no overnight, proceed to one of several plan b's.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I know that Putnam Pond allows backcountry users entering the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness to park at the campground (two of the major trailheads for the PLWA are located within the campground). Hikers are permitted to park in the parking area at the boat launch, and I believe that they are charged the day use fee for a single day (regardless of how many nights they intend to be in the backcountry).

I'd be a bit surprised if Rollins Pond wasn't willing/able to do something similar. You could certainly try calling the campground and asking.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
richard p

Rollins

Definitely call and ask - the people that work there are very friendly and helpful. There is a lot at the boat launch and a small one off to the right as you pass the first one. There is a site on Whey (nice pond too) and two on Rollins itself. The island site was closed and the replacement is a little over half way on the right into the "bay" near the old island site. I think I have seen cars parked overnight in both lots.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote