Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
forest dweller

Been cold, do you think that will delay the black fly hatch?

Been cold, do you think that will delay the black fly hatch?

Always try to get one or two trips in May before Memorial Day (Black Fly Hatch Day!) but I usually get screwed by the weather being rainy on the weekends and this year has been no different...so I haven't been out yet.

Usually if I can't get a trip in between May 1 and the weekend before Memorial Day I'm SOL and have to wait for 6 weeks after Memorial Day.

But it has been quite chilly this year...

Do you think that will buy us hikers and campers more time before the black flies hatch and begin their torture?
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
TCD

Most years the weather doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Unless you get a drastic event like the 3' of snow on 5/31 a few years ago, or the foot of snow and hard freeze on 5/17 about 15 years ago. But barring drastic events, a warmer of colder April and May do not seem to make a difference. I hope we get a break and get some nice weather soon!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
rickhart

I was at Little Tupper & Rock Pond for several days May 3 -7 (Wed. - Sun.) and they were just beginning to show up & fly around me, but not in a feeding frenzy yet, or in huge numbers. It was windy & cold, which helped. Several times one bit me, in a half-hearted way; like it wasn't quite sure what to do yet. Usually once that happens, the swarms aren't far behind.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
SpencerVT

I think they are starting to come out, but this recent cold weather is helping knock 'em back, especially the snowfall. When I climbed Loon Lake mountains last year the flies were so big it took like a baseball bat to kill them.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Buckladd

Black flies have been out around Lake George and Brant Lake for over two weeks. Once the temps hit 55-60 we see them. Lots of cold, moving water right now. They like that!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Justin

Don't let the cool weather fool you, it's definitely that time of year to start thinking about breezy campsites, and embracing a little rain on your hiking & camping trips...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Black flies were at trailhead last Saturday morning. They weren't an issue the rest of the weekend due to the rain.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
forest dweller

Friggin' May weather. Three weekends straight of rain followed by what is usually the first bad black flies weekend of the year. Bet you it will be F'ing sunny next weekend.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
Tick Magnet

Plenty of black flies this morning in the Wells area.

Swarming and biting.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
Friggin' May weather. Three weekends straight of rain followed by what is usually the first bad black flies weekend of the year. Bet you it will be F'ing sunny next weekend.
Actually, last weekend didn't turn out to be that bad, with only a little rain Saturday evening, and the weekend before that it only rained for a little on Sunday on & off. This weekend however may be a different story. Why let a little rain deter your camping plans?
Old 05-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Actually, last weekend didn't turn out to be that bad, with only a little rain Saturday evening, and the weekend before that it only rained for a little on Sunday on & off. This weekend however may be a different story. Why let a little rain deter your camping plans?
Why let anything deter your camping plans? Camping in good weather is vanilla. I love vanilla! Camping in foul weather lets you enjoy the other 101 flavors. I love the other 101 flavors.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Why let anything deter your camping plans? Camping in good weather is vanilla. I love vanilla! Camping in foul weather lets you enjoy the other 101 flavors. I love the other 101 flavors.
I agree. I can understand postponing a camping trip if it's going to be a washout (like tomorrow's forecast for much of the Adirondacks), but then again, some of my most memorable camping trips have been in the rain. Personally, I'd rather camp in the rain over dealing with those dreaded swarms of black flies on a sunny.

Last edited by Justin; 05-12-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Old 05-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #13
Nehasane

Garnet Lake - Round Pond area May 12: 0 to 20 blackflies around me in the afternoon (mostly sunny, temperature got into low 60's), only one tried to bite, its life ended quickly. Not bad. Warm-up in next few days will get them going - they love it when it is 65-75 degrees.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #14
forest dweller

I can't do a day of gathering and preparation and 4 and a half hours driving twice to camp in the rain for the majority of the time...especially not knowing how much rain and for how long. That's the opposite of enjoyable.

It's too bad too because I haven't had a camping trip in May in years, the weather has been rainy for those first two weekends for the last few years.

And early May in the Adirondacks is beautiful if the weather cooperates.

Last edited by forest dweller; 05-19-2017 at 06:41 AM..