Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
whola

Need Urgent Suggestions for Memorial Day Weekend

Guys I am continuing my MDW camping in the Adirondacks again this year but I haven't booked anything yet. I am looking for a campground that I can at least get to bars/restaurants with a drive.

Offcourse, since I am looking this late nothing is really available. I have a raft with a trolling motor and will invest in a gas motor if I have to for this season.

I know theres places open in Forked Lake, Lake Eaton, and Sarnac Lake campgrounds.

The Sarnac Lake campground is perfect but the site is Middle Sarnac so I am not sure if my trolling motor can make the trek. Is there a boat launch for middle sarnac? Will the main boat launch be impossible to park at during the weekend?

I am looking to camp on the waterfront anywhere so I will take any suggestions! Please help!
whola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Festus

There is a canoe put in at Middle Saranac Lake but no true "boat launch" where you can back your car and trailer into the water and release a boat. There is a full boat launch at Lower Saranac Lake and you can reach Middle SL by water from Lower SL but it would be a long trip at night (at least 1.5 hours) to go out for dinner etc. so you'll want to use the Middle SL put in site.There is plenty of parking at the Lower Saranac Lake boat launch but not too much room at Middle, perhaps 15 cars... I've seen people carry their light rowboat size boat and motor from their car and put them into the shallow river at Middle SL and if you can lift your raft you could put-in there...It is a shallow river but not too shallow this time of the year and I think it would be ok if you go slow and pay attention. 10 minutes and you'll reach Middle Saranac...
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
whola

An update! I got a spot in the main lake area! Site 37! How is that site? It was the last available one! Any dock or place to keep my raft safe?

Is parking guaranteed for people camping ? I am just worried when I get there saturday there will be no parking in the main lot.

Any good bar suggestions close by and places to eat?

Last edited by whola; 05-21-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
Festus

Site 37 is one of the most popular on Lower Saranac Lake. That is because it comes with a nice sandy beach and swimming area. That won't really matter this time of year though as the water will be way too cold to swim...There are no docks at the sites on the Saranacs like there are on Lake George.. You'll probably pull your raft up onto the sandy beach and I've never heard of anything regarding theft etc. The tent site is fine, not real large but relatively nice. There is a lot of parking space in the boat launch area so I would imagine you'll be ok...Hard to say if it overfills or not...You'll encounter a 45 minute lake crossing and river trip from car to site 37. Bring a bright light in case it is a dark night (many islands you don't want to crash into between your site and car).
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
whola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
Site 37 is one of the most popular on Lower Saranac Lake. That is because it comes with a nice sandy beach and swimming area. That won't really matter this time of year though as the water will be way too cold to swim...There are no docks at the sites on the Saranacs like there are on Lake George.. You'll probably pull your raft up onto the sandy beach and I've never heard of anything regarding theft etc. The tent site is fine, not real large but relatively nice. There is a lot of parking space in the boat launch area so I would imagine you'll be ok...Hard to say if it overfills or not...You'll encounter a 45 minute lake crossing and river trip from car to site 37. Bring a bright light in case it is a dark night (many islands you don't want to crash into between your site and car).
How unbearably cold is the water this time of year? Last year it was bearable in Forked Lake. I wanted to do some cliff jumping.

It will still take 45 minutes even with a gas motor? I am guessing there are a lot of no wake zones?

Also what other fun activities are in the area? Can you scuba in the lake? What's the visibility like?

Last edited by whola; 05-22-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
whola

Hows site 46?