Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Pmo

Adirondack Paddle trip this summer with son..

Hello everyone - This is my first post. Forgive me if this topic was covered in another thread. My son just graduated from college and we are planning a 3-4 day canoe camping trip in the Adirondacks. We are thinking mid to late July. We are both experienced outdoorsman, and competent in a canoe. With that being said, I haven't taken an extended canoe trip since I went with my own dad when I was a kid I have been on many "day trips" in a canoe since that excursion many years ago, but not overnight/multiple day since then. We are looking for the following characteristics in the trip:

1. Fairly remote. Ok with seeing some people, but would rather not see LOTS of people.

2. Loop trip. I prefer to put in and take out in the same spot. No shuttling.

3. Moderate portages - This is the one I am most leery about. I have a pretty good sized Old Town "Camper" and don't want to get into multiple, long portages if it can be avoided.

Bonuses:

~ Native trout fishing
~ Rustic campsites

Thank you for reading. I would GREATLY appreciate any advice/suggestions/caveats this community can offer. Cheers,

Pat M.
Rochester, NY
Pmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Swamp Booger

Hi Pat,
Welcome to the forum!
While not "a loop", but rather an up and back trip, you might seriously consider the Oswegatchie River from Inlet to High Falls. This is a premier ADK canoe trip! With a side hiking trip into the five ponds, you could easily fill 4 days. No portages as such, and your OT Camper should handle the tight turns well. There are many primitive campsites, and if you go mid week, you may see a few other people, but likely won't be dealing with crowds. I have caught trout in the upper reaches. It's remote enough that you likely won't have cell phone service.
Do a search on canoeing the Oswegatchie, and you're sure to come up with lots of info, including u-tube videos.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Pmo

Thank you Swamp Booger! Appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read. I will check out info on the Oswegathchie.

Pat
Old 05-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Welcome to the forum, Pat!
You may want to look at Little Tupper Lake, with a continuation to Rock Pond, and maybe a foray into Round Lake. If you stay on LTL, no carries at all, Round Lake is connected too.
Rock Pond is a very short carry, it's remote.

You may also want to look at Long Pond, with further excursions to Pink Pond, Slang, Turtle, and a hike to Long Pond Mt (water access only to the trailhead) and Ledge Pond.

And there's always Lake Lila, with adventures on the Shingle Shanty and Harrington Brooks, hike to Mt Frederica.

All of those are not "loops" but out and back type trips. Lila can be popular, but the sites are widely spaced. Any will have plenty of solitude, especially if you can go midweek.

I have photos of all, you can search for them in my link or I can direct you on request.

Be forewarned, once you do a canoe wilderness trip in the ADK's, you'll keep going back...
Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Pmo

I'm not 100% against an "out and back" trip, just didn't want to have to deal with shuttling.. Thanks for the great info so far. Keep it coming!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Justin

Welcome Pat!
I'll second Little Tupper Lake & Rock Pond. However, be warned that paddling southwest down the lake from the launch can be brutal & dangerous with a stiff wind & huge white caps!
It's best to arrive early in the morning before the breeze picks up.
Here's a video from last summer to share... Little Tupper Lake & Rock Pond
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
Swamp Booger

Pmo,
Just a heads up regarding fishing: while Little Tupper and Lila have trout in them, I have only caught bass in those waters.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
mgc

For a refresher trip I would recommend Upper to Middle to Lower Saranac and on to Lake Flower. Overnight at Weller Pond. Campsites are nice and plentiful. You need to reserve ahead on Middle and Lower. Traffic is well absorbed by the area. There is one short carry from Upper to Lower. Bartlett Carry will take you from Upper to Middle...or you may put in there if you wish. But, a canoe trip w/o a carry falls short of the mark...
Fishing is very good throughout...trout, bass etc. are plentiful.
If the locks are working again you get to try those between Middle and Lower.

I am not a fan of the Oswegatchie route. I find it to be painfully meandering and boring. There are trout if you work at it (hard). It's also a great opportunity to experience a true Adirondack bugfest...but that is my opinion. A Bog River route might be more interesting..

I might also suggest a few days on Cranberry moving around and exploring as you go....there are fish...in that case you might paddle part of the Oswegatchie to the falls as a day trip....
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
datdweeb

I second a vote for the Bog River to Lows Lake trip (all flat water, in and back, no motor boats). That's what I did with each of my kids when they were younger, in an Old Town Camper coincidentally.....and if you don't mind catching bass instead of trout, the fishing is excellent. There is one short carry (100 yards?), very manageable. You may have to contend with a boy scout camp on one of the islands around that time, but the lake is very large, and if you can get back into Grass Pond, you should have the remote paddle and camp that you are looking for.
datdweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdweeb View Post
I second a vote for the Bog River to Lows Lake trip (all flat water, in and back, no motor boats). That's what I did with each of my kids when they were younger, in an Old Town Camper coincidentally.....and if you don't mind catching bass instead of trout, the fishing is excellent. There is one short carry (100 yards?), very manageable. You may have to contend with a boy scout camp on one of the islands around that time, but the lake is very large, and if you can get back into Grass Pond, you should have the remote paddle and camp that you are looking for.
I would third this but it can be a bit crowed at times.

It's a big area, so you won't see a lot of people or feel crowded, but finding a site or a place to park can be a challenge.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
nutmeg creeker

If anyone has a better suggestion than the ones which have already been made, I'd be surprised. The most remote choice is the Oswegatchie, especially in mid-week, and the possible use of up to four lean-tos can be considered. Little Tupper and environs are great choices, and the winds and whitecaps have already been pointed out. Bog River/Lows Lake is a good choice, but can be very crowded on weekends. Lila is serene and leisurely, with side trip options. Good luck--you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
Pmo

Is anyone familiar with routes out of Saranac Lake, or the 7 Carries/9 Carries routes? I've read some on these routes, and have been to that area before. Beautiful in the summer. I've also heard of the St. Regis area but heard it is very rugged? Thanks for all the input so far - you guys are amazing!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmo View Post
Is anyone familiar with routes out of Saranac Lake, or the 7 Carries/9 Carries routes? I've read some on these routes, and have been to that area before. Beautiful in the summer. I've also heard of the St. Regis area but heard it is very rugged? Thanks for all the input so far - you guys are amazing!
7 carries is not bad. The carries are fairly short.

9 carries is much tougher, most of the carries are long and rugged.

7 carries + parts of Saranac Lakes Wild Forest i.e. Floodwood/Follensby/Hoel/Upper Saranac Lake can make for some interesting trips in that area. You still tend to do a lot of carrying though. None are that hard or more than 0.5 mile long, but it's a much more demanding, and less remote trip, than say Lows lake.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
mgc

Quote:
Is anyone familiar with routes out of Saranac Lake, or the 7 Carries/9 Carries routes?
For perspective, my wife and I did the 16 carries plus tossed in a loop around Upper St. Regis/Spitfire to Lower and the carry back to Upper in a 3 day carry fest when we were in our late 50's. Next time I'll leave the W/C canoe at home and bring the Kevlar Swift. You carry about half as much as you paddle on this route. You were looking for a route with fewer carries?
The seven carries can be a day trip...and most of the carries are short.
The nine carries include some slogs...if your preferance is fewer carries this is possibly not the best route for you.

I do recommend it...it's a nice place and it has decent fishing but you may be better off trying the Saranac or Bog River routes that have been suggested, at least on your maiden voyage.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
St Regis Canoe Wilderness Area is a great spot.
Should you decide to go there, I would suggest you leave your heavier canoe home and rent something lightweight from St Regis Canoe Outfiters, They're located on the dirt road that boarders the wilderness area.

As far as being rugged, not really. I'm 61 and carried my pack and canoe to Fish Pond...If I can slog through, you and your son should have no problems.
However, you might want to base camp on St Regis Pond, and day trip to the surrounding waters.
Here is a link to the DEC map of the area, showing the designated campsites and lean to's.

And here is a link to photos from my recent trip there...

Lastly, here's a teaser photo to get you more motivated.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
Pmo

Beautiful photo!