Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #21
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
I wrote a trip report last summer about the ridiculous party crowd on the Flow last summer. I don't know if I kept running into the same two idiots or it's a trend but two canoes tied to a pallet and outboard were host to two screaming morons on the Flow and 13th Lake. I asume the quietest time to go to the Flow is peak black fly time while the barge morons are landlocked.

Choosing between locations might be based on how much you want to explore when there. The Flow offers more.
I remember that. There were people coming in for that party until about 1am. If you want to hike, there's a good site on the right hand side all the way down - I think it's the only site that is actually on a section of the NPT. You can canoe down to it, then hike and explore from there.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #22
Grey-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I remember that. There were people coming in for that party until about 1am. If you want to hike, there's a good site on the right hand side all the way down - I think it's the only site that is actually on a section of the NPT. You can canoe down to it, then hike and explore from there.
Ha! I was on that site that night. It's pretty nice in that you can hike a bit. Lots of junk around the site though.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #23
Schip

[QUOTE=Nehasane;258949]Both are worthy but I would go with CRF.
1. It will be less busy this time of year than in mid-summer.
2. It has loons, Vly does not.

I've been to Vly only once. It was 3-4 years ago. I spent about
an hour at the campsites up on the hillside and spent that whole
time watching a pair of loons.

But, I do agree with you, CRF is a much better choice for
camping.

Kathy
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #24
montcalm
Mobster

If a body of water has fish and is big enough to take off from, there will be loons. They may not always be present or may not nest there, but they will visit.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #25
Nehasane

I've camped on/near Vly 3 times & have done several day trips into there & have never seen a loon. Heard one once but it could have been flying by.

Have seen & heard loons on CRF every visit (except when I skied in).
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar river flow, fall stream, vly lake