Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
rachelsdad

Ideas for a 3 day trip

Wife and daughter are heading to NYC for a wedding Fathers Day weekend...(ungrateful huh), actually they have to go. Kind of a girls weekend. So, I'm free.

Wracking what is left of my brain here.

Would like to hike into a pond/stream site. Set up base and hit a mountain or two...or some other point of interest.

Haven't done a lot of mountains but I've hit Pharoh & Cat prefer to avoid high peaks. Up for anything including canoe/kayak trip.

Were would YOU go
Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
Swamp Booger

I was going to suggest this in a pm, but since you asked here... first thing that comes to my mind is to paddle and camp on Long Pond (SRCA) and hike up Long Pond Mountain.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Justin

The Putnam Pond loop is fun...paddle (or hike) around Putts Pond...camp at Rock Pond, Clear Pond, and/or Grizzle Ocean...check out the old mine ruins at Rock Pond, and the waterfall along Rock Pond Brook...hike the trail to Treadway Mountain, and if you like to bushwhack maybe check out the views from one of the other nearby peaks. Definitley plenty of things to do in the area to keep you busy for 3 days or more.

P.S. RIP Gregg, thanks for the music!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #4
rachelsdad

Amen Justin!! Funny, another member on these forums thought my avatar was me...thought I looked creepy!

Two great options that I was not aware of.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'll second Rock/Clear in PLWA with a climb of Treadway. Personally, I think Treadway has better views than Pharaoh (the summit is more open and sees fewer visitors).

The waterfall on the outlet of Rock Pond is going pretty good right now:

Another possible option- you could camp at one of the lean-tos on the Paul Smith's College easement (there's several within easy walking or paddling distance of the St. Regis Trailhead), paddle to the Teddy Roosevelt Trail, and use that to climb St. Regis Mountain. Some more info on this route: https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...-view-st-regis
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
rachelsdad

Great shot!

Looks like my basement wall

Thank goodness for French drains