Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
SSLaker

Good Luck Lake Mystery Boat

I had an odd experience on Good Luck Lake a few years ago that continues to eat at my curiosity and imagination. It's a mystery that I am hoping y'all can help solve, so I am posting here to see if anyone has a clue or explanation for what I witnessed.

Here's the story:

Back in September of 2013, a buddy and I paddled into Good Luck Lake for a quick overnight trip. It was a Thursday night. We arrived at the launch close to sunset and the weather was perfect ADK late summer / early fall with a full moon.

After a short paddle, we quickly set up camp on the south side of the lake as darkness fell and began to enjoy camp dinner and a few beers around a large fire.

We still had a large fire going around midnight when I heard the noise of paddle and oar hitting what sounded like an aluminum boat towards the direction of the marsh and stream that lead towards Spectacle Lake (to our west).

This surprised me, because we thought we were the only ones on the lake that night and we had not seen other cars at the launch.

I went down to the water's edge and looked to the direction of the noise and saw a very large beam of light from a heavy duty flash light moving left to right in the marsh. There were several more hits of the oar/paddle to the side of the boat as it made its way through the marsh to the main lake.

Once on the main lake, the boat turned on a small outboard motor and jetted across our line of site. We could only make out the dark shape of man and dog (which barked) as the boat crossed the lake at midnight to the direction of the outlet to the launch.

My questions:

Is the marsh/stream navigable to Spectacle Lake (in early fall)?

If so, then one can reasonably assume this was a fellow traveler returning late from a fishing trip. But why go through the process of navigating that marsh in the dark?

What other reasons might someone have for taking a boat like that up that way and coming out in the middle of the night? I don't think there are campsites up that way, correct?

Is this just another Adirondack oddity?
SSLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr Laker,
Welcome to the Forum!
I've paddled/carried to Spectacle via Good Luck many times...
If you study the topo maps, you'll see there is no waterway between Good Luck and Spectacle. There are a few small feeder streams that flow into Good Luck, but the two waterbodies are not connected in any way.

As for the dude's motivations to zip across Good Luck Lake at night, and with a motor, who knows. Good Luck is so small, it's hardly worth lugging a motor in there. It varies from year to year, but there is sometimes a beaver dam or two on the outlet of Good Luck. And why at night? He may have been disposing of a body!!

My gang of 4 was once staying at the Trout Lake lean to, on Stillwater Reservoir. In the middle of the night, we heard a small outboard nearby, and the sounds of an aluminum hull beaching. The next morning we saw a little row boat with motor, stashed in the bushes. Later that day, we paddled/carried to Witchhopple Lake (and beyond). And there, on Witchhopple, was a solitary dude with a Hornbeck and several large, black plastic bags. We attempted to make conversation, but he apparently wasn't in the mood. We later concluded that the bags contained his grandmother's body parts, and he would plan to collect her SS payments in perpetuity!
Who knows??

In all likelihood, the your mystery man may have been fishing at Spectacle, and had his boat stashed on Good Luck, out of sight.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

I'm not sure it's that odd to see someone out on the water during a full moon...Could've just been a local boater who was staying at one of the private camps off Route 10 a little further down the West Branch.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
pigpen

I agree with Justin, Occum's razor.
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
Wldrns

There's an organization,the Adirondack Center for Loon Conservation, that studies and counts loons. I have heard that they go out at night to find them on their nests. I know the group has regularly been on Stillwater Reservoir in the past.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

i doubt the ACLC would be out w/ a barking dog to count loons. there are campsites on Spectacle Lake, a couple nicer than the ones on Good Luck. i think Justin's right, a local getting to spectacle w/ the least amount of effort.
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Chris I

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Mr Laker,
Welcome to the Forum!
several large, black plastic bags. We attempted to make conversation, but he apparently wasn't in the mood. We later concluded that the bags contained his grandmother's body parts, and he would plan to collect her SS payments in perpetuity!
Who knows??

In all likelihood, the your mystery man may have been fishing at Spectacle, and had his boat stashed on Good Luck, out of sight.
What time of year was this? Maybe he was harvesting his crop?