Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
SpencerVT

Anyone climbed Wallface from a north approach?

I have read that some people take a southern approach around the massive cliff.
However, given that I'm trying to climb Lost Pond peak, I would like to approach Wallface from the north (from Scott Pond).
The Topo map shows very gradual contour lines going this way. Has anyone done Wallface from this approach?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

I've been back and forth a few times between WF and the southernmost Wallface Pond. Your proposed route from Scott Pond intersects early then follows most of this route. From where the two approaches merge to the summit the route is excellent and very open.

Trail Boss and I did Lost Pond Peak from the south (1/4 mile east of Scott Pond roughly). Best route to LPP I've ever done and I've done it from every possible way.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Trail Boss

EDIT: Whoops! Neil Ninja'd me but here's my post anyway.

Not me. Neil and I approached it from lower Wallface Pond after hiking MacNaughton. That stretch had surprisingly open woods.

Open woods en route to Wallface. by Taras D, on Flickr

Here's a way to get to those open woods a little more directly. Take the Wallface Ponds Trail past Scott Pond. Exit the trail before it turns northwest. Head due south to pick up that N-S ridge that leads to Wallface.
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.14...096&z=15&b=mbt

After the summit, we continued northeast and descended to Indian Pass Brook. The woods were considerably denser and the terrain kept steering us to the cliff's edge.

Pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskgddjDv
Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
SpencerVT

Thanks Neil and Trail Boss. Last weekend I ended up climbing Teapot Mtn, Savage and East Spruce in the Whites. I'm going to try and head up to Wallface and Lost Pond this weekend. I appreciate your insight. Good to know there's some open woods in there.