Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #21
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
So We have decided on Avalanche Lake MT Marcy Loop! I have a backpacking tent with a net and I also have Bear canisters, which seem oddly big to carry around. I have always wondered about Lean to's they are so open, easy for a bear to come around?
Avalanche camp area is really nice, and there are lots of great tent sites. Make sure to cook and store your bear canister away from your tent (preferably 150-200 feet away, or about 70 - 100 paces), because there are bears active in that area and you don't want food near your tent. Also, don't leave your canister open and unlocked while cooking and eating. Take out what you need and close your canister to minimize the chance of a bear getting to it. Try to minimize your trash by re-packaging your food into small zip-loc bags at home. Bring a gallon-size freezer-grade zip-loc for your trash, and make sure it goes in your bear can, as well as any yummy-smelling toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrush, sunscreen, etc.). Bears are usually most active around dusk, so try to eat while it's still light out. It's very rare for a bear to approach, let alone enter, a lean-to, unless there is food left there. Hopefully, you shouldn't have a problem if your food is stored correctly.

Avalanche Pass is a really special place, and I hope that you have good weather on Marcy. Have a great time!
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #22
Ezra

Guys thank you so much! I am super excited for tomorrow! The tortilla saves much more space than the bagels so I went with that option. Ill keep everyone updated and thank you thank you
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #23
Ezra

Made it! WOW Thats was tough, but amazing. For us the toughest part was Avalanche lake for some reason and the only place we encountered an insane amount of black flies. We got to the trail head rather late so camped out in a lean to at around 8pm infront of Lake Colden (best lean to ever, with a view). So I nearly froze to death, i packed the wrong sleeping bag and left the winter one in the car. It was the most horrible night ever lol My bones were shivering, i slept 25 minutes total and the rest looking at my watch hoping time would speed up. It felt like watching paint dry. And to top it off I had to pee so bad and there was no way in hell I was going to disturb any bears in the dark. Then I spent the remainder of the night thinking, any bear killings around here and how many? Whats to stop a psycho to walk around killing people deep in the woods? I normally don't think this way but i was like freezing lol can't believe how cold it got, but i can.

Anyway We left and started climbing and climbing boulders, along side a river of wihich I used to fill my bottles, thats allowed right? Getting to the summit was amazing! We had it all to ourselves.
The last 5 miles were pretty bad lol i felt every stone and rock with every step i took. I did not want to see a another rock in my life. I saw one guy who ran up Marcy then ran back down, how does one not twist an ankle doing that? Anyway I am def aiming for all 46, I would like to do more then one night just need to figure out how to pack lighter. I was under the impression tht I can set up camp anywhere as long as I am 150' from the trail or body of water, but the guy at HPIC said I can only camp at the designated spots, I also asked what if I get caught up or tired and wnd up spending a second night, he said I must try to make it out by the time I put on the reg paper. I understand though. Anyway amazing time following he all trails offline gps app worked 100% the paper map was incredibly easy as well and now I am relaxing overnight in Lake George before heading back to that crazy coty. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #24
tenderfoot

Quote:
Made it! WOW Thats was tough, but amazing.
Yes! we get the same feeling.

Quote:
So I nearly froze to death
Can't say I never under packed. There is a bunch of information on this forum on how to stay warm besides having a good bag. Eating. Hot water bottle. Layers. I also pack a silver emergency blanket pretty much everywhere in the ADK. And certainly pee, otherwise your body burning calories keeping that pee warm too.

Quote:
Then I spent the remainder of the night thinking, any bear killings around here and how many? Whats to stop a psycho to walk around killing people deep in the woods?
Yes. Every noise is amplified and sounds like the grim reaper coming your way. But in reality think about the statistics. Very, very few bad things from critters or psychos. Safer than Central Park.

Quote:
fill my bottles, thats allowed right?
Certainly, but treat the water. Even if it feels like you are staring at the original Poland Spring treat or filter the water.

Quote:
I was under the impression tht I can set up camp anywhere as long as I am 150' from the trail or body of water,
I am under the same impression. We do this regularly.

Quote:
time I put on the reg paper.
I put date in, and number of nights. Would never commit to a time expected out. I also share with someone not on trip what my plan is and do provide an expected day out and an 'if you do not hear from my by x o'clock...'. Schedules change. Last trip we stopped for 30 minutes almost within site of the car. Nice brook, cool wind, great view - I wanted to enjoy it before driving for 5 hours.

Quote:
offline gps app worked 100% the paper map
Nicely done. I always carry back up nav as well, GPS and a few maps. We each carry our own phone, map and compass in case of separation.

Sounds like a great trip.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #25
Ezra

Thanks Tenderfoot! Next time I shall treat the water! I guess he said to make it back in time because I only paid for a days worth of parking ans canister rental? Also what are the rules when it comes to rivers and lakes? Sometimes I felt like taking a plunge lol

Old 06-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #26
tenderfoot

I also should have mentioned there is an elevation restriction. Only designated sites between 3500 and 4000. No camping above 4000. And there are a few trails that are actually not on state land (ex Lake Road through Adirondack Mountain Reserve) where there is no camping on the privately owned land.

I know of now swimming restrictions beyond ones own common sense. Hence the need to filter water ;<)

Great photos