Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Bark Eater Too

Indian Lake Hiking Challenge

The latest Adirondack hiking challenge. The popularity of the Saranac Six is catching on in other areas. This one has some flexibility.

http://indian-lake.com/docs/HikingPatch4-3-2-1.pdf
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Does anyone know where to find the map to choose the trails from? I found this brochure, but it's not very clear what the difficulty of each trail is so you really can't easily choose the appropriate hikes.

It will be interesting to see how much traction this challenge garners. The Saranac 6 have been pretty successful, but the Chester Challenge appears to have only gained a little bit of attention. I wonder if the "choose your own adventure" style of this challenge will be a boon or a detriment to this challenge- I could see the extra work necessary to select destinations being enough to discourage some casual hikers.

EDIT: According to the Indian Lake Chamber of Commerce website, you have to stop into the Chamber of Commerce to pick up the hiking map. It looks like there isn't a digital version available online.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Bark Eater Too

They published a fairly high quality one a few years back. I'm sure it's an attempt to get people to stop by the COC office. That said, I expect they'd mail one out too. It's all about promoting hiking the area.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
saabrian

Great idea but kind of a bummer you have to physically go to the Chamber of Commerce to figure out what hikes are on the list. Many people can only hike on weekends... not sure if the CoC is open then. All the other challenges I'm aware of, you can find info online.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

I called the Indian Lake COC and they are mailing me the map and applications. One don't have to physically go.

Seems like there are many Towns doing hiking challenges involving the Mountains in there area.

Kids on the Trail Challenge
Moriah Challenge
Fulton Chain Challenge
Indian Lake Challenge
Inlet Challenge
Saranac Lake 6er
Winter Saranac Lake 6er
Tupper Lake Triad
Winter Tupper Lake Triad
Chester Challenge
Lake George 12er
Adirondack Quest
Hamilton County Fire Tower Challenge
Hamilton County Waterfall Challenge
Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge
Adirondack Forty-Six
Winter Adirondack Forty Six

Sure I'm missing some but these are the ones come to mind. I'm working on several with my Grandchildren.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Makwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber View Post
I called the Indian Lake COC and they are mailing me the map and applications. One don't have to physically go.

Seems like there are many Towns doing hiking challenges involving the Mountains in there area.

Kids on the Trail Challenge
Moriah Challenge
Fulton Chain Challenge
Indian Lake Challenge
Inlet Challenge
Saranac Lake 6er
Winter Saranac Lake 6er
Tupper Lake Triad
Winter Tupper Lake Triad
Chester Challenge
Lake George 12er
Adirondack Quest
Hamilton County Fire Tower Challenge
Hamilton County Waterfall Challenge
Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge
Adirondack Forty-Six
Winter Adirondack Forty Six

Sure I'm missing some but these are the ones come to mind. I'm working on several with my Grandchildren.
You can get a winter rocker for the Fire Tower Challenge too.

I don't believe the Lake George 12ster is sponsored by any town on/around Lake George. I think some random guy cooked it up and has created a web site, patch, etc. Same goes for the Adirondack 29 that has been around for a few years now. More of a fun list to work but no sponsorship by any official group or official recognition as far as I can tell.
https://www.facebook.com/ADK29er

The NPT and Cranberry Lake 50 would qualify as challenges too I suppose.

Last edited by Makwa; 06-17-2017 at 09:58 PM..
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Here are the List of Mountains for the Indian Lake 4-3-2-1 Challenge... hope you can read them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg INDIAN LAKE CHALLENGE 1- Resize.jpg (77.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg INDIAN LAKE CHALLENGE 2- Resize.jpg (91.4 KB, 31 views)

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote