Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #41
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
Ha! I get the exact same satisfaction Jim! I always take great pleasure in hearing the chorus of buzzing taking place mere inches from my head and thinking, "not tonight, ya bastards, not tonight!" Especially on those warm summer nights when I want to lay on top of my bag rather than in.

I highly recommend it for those who always sleep out in the open in LTs. It's one of the little joys of camping.
I heartedly agree about using a leanto.
We can bring our little tents anywhere, but there is absolutely nothing to compare to sleeping in an Adirondack leanto.
Hard Scrabble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #42
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
I heartedly agree about using a leanto.
We can bring our little tents anywhere, but there is absolutely nothing to compare to sleeping in an Adirondack leanto.
What model screen tent do you have? I've been known to sleep with my bug suit on, but if that touches your skin, the mosquitoes seem to sense it and know they can get a meal through the screen.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #43
Dubs
Wendy

I was up in the area Friday... on my way in they were slightly noticeable. On my way out was a much different story.
Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #44
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
HS, I don't think anyone is complaining about the bugs. Just a bit of conversation.

Yesterday, on Santa Clara Flow, the BF's were out in force but the skeeters were the real treat. The fly dope kept them away but as soon as my treated hat and neckerchief were off they came down hard.
Is that not a complaint?????
Old 06-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #45
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
What model screen tent do you have? I've been known to sleep with my bug suit on, but if that touches your skin, the mosquitoes seem to sense it and know they can get a meal through the screen.
Cabellas Sea to Summit sleeping bad shelter.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #46
Justin

Black flies & mosquitoes were plentiful near Moffitt Beach this past weekend. No complaints here, but for those who may be sensitive to Adirondack bugs it may be best to just stay out of the woods until September.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #47
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Is that not a complaint?????
No, not a complaint. A statement on the conditions. If I were complaining I probably wouldn't be out on the water and woods 3 to 4 times a week. I wear a neckerchief and hat with dope on it and enoy the outdoors. Yesterday afternoon on my way out for a sunset paddle, the wind died down to nothing and the BF's were thick as the dope I was using. Thick enough that a few were inhaled.....yummie! Not complaining, just reporting.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #48
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

BF's, skeeters, and deer flies were all present on Pillsbury FT and the trail to the lake yesterday. the only bugless area was the top of the FT. i just used a head net, but every time i went for a bite or a drink, a few were added to my protein intake...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #49
IndLk_Brett

Anyone who hikes with dogs have any good advice to make excursions more comfortable for them during bug season? I use a dog specific bug spray which works decently most of the time, but when the black flies are out in full force it does little to stop them.

At times I feel the only option is to leave the dog at home (which she HATES) rather than subject her to those conditions. In fact, I only recently even cut a trip a day short to get her out of the woods. They started having a field day on the bare skin around the eyes and on her belly when we would stop moving and I didn't want to see her go though it any longer.

Any tips/tricks?
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #50
Bounder45

Quote:
Anyone who hikes with dogs have any good advice to make excursions more comfortable for them during bug season? I use a dog specific bug spray which works decently most of the time, but when the black flies are out in full force it does little to stop them.

At times I feel the only option is to leave the dog at home (which she HATES) rather than subject her to those conditions. In fact, I only recently even cut a trip a day short to get her out of the woods. They started having a field day on the bare skin around the eyes and on her belly when we would stop moving and I didn't want to see her go though it any longer.

Any tips/tricks?
If you figure out a solution, please post it. I run into the same issue with my dog....out on hikes, he won't stop running, except to scratch, because the flies get at him as soon as he is stationary.

This exceptionally wet and early summer has promoted their presence.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #51
Justin

Quote:
Anyone who hikes with dogs have any good advice to make excursions more comfortable for them during bug season?
In the past, I've had some success using This Product, diluted with a little water, and applied to the dog's upper back area (where he/she can't lick). Not so much for black flies, but it seemed to help with deer flies.
IMHO, like humans, the best way to deal with bugs during bug season is to just keep on keepin' on...the more time you spend in the outdoors during the bug season, the more you get use to them and are not as affected by them, same goes for dogs, barring any serious allergic reactions.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote