Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

The Rainbow Connection

The new boat got a real workout today, starting in some skinny dark water and going miles away from anybody. This is a tough section to fish without a boat. Think Honeysuckle jungle. I've been partway in on foot before and it's not something I'd do again.

The Rainbows were there, even more and better than expected. It looks like they've had lots to eat and no pressure until I came along to spoil their day. Six fish in this size range came to the net. None were lifted from the water. And an even bigger one broke me off under a log. That must be the one that ate Kermit, causing the demise of the Muppet Show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0022 (2).jpg (121.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0031 (2).jpg (123.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0027 (2).jpg (125.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016 (2).jpg (137.9 KB, 205 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
bioguide

Very nice. I'm always amazed that such a small fly attracts and snags fish of such size.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
wildbrookies

Vt
Those all have big shoulders! What hogs! They fill the net quite nicely I see. Great idea and nice to see such a plan workout. That new boat sure came in handy. How did you get back upstream? And just imagine how big that beast was that took you under that log Return trip maybe...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
aft paddle

A real shame no one was there to see this. Isn't it?
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Pauly D.

Beautiful! Those have some heft!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
EagleCrag

Wow. Not only are they long, they've got some heft! Definitely not stocked recently! Glad you had a good trip. Methinks the boys will be wanting to borrow your new boat after this report!
EagleCrag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
RIngFly

good job ! looks like fun !
RIngFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
ehsfishin72

Gorgeous fish vt!!!!
ehsfishin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Vt
That new boat sure came in handy. How did you get back upstream? And just imagine how big that beast was that took you under that log Return trip maybe...
I didn't go upstream.That would be more difficult than Bogart dragging the African Queen through the swamp. I chained my mountain bike at the bottom and simply rode back to the car. I used the same chain to lock up my boat and took everything with me in a backpack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Methinks the boys will be wanting to borrow your new boat after this report!
Said boys need to learn how to use borrowed equipment according to the standards of the owner and put it away in the same condition when they're done with it. I didn't get there until about age 25 so we've possibly got a way to go yet.

Not that it's stopping them from catching great fish. Ross fished a wild brown trout river yesterday and caught some slammers. Early this morning Thomas and I bushwacked into the first hole from yesterday. He caught a most excellent rainbow, easily the equal of anything from yesterday.

Note to self: No more jungle bushwacks. Ever.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

From early this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6170415.jpg (126.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 06-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #11
Stillhunter

Wow. Gorgeous rainbows.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
wildbrookies

VT,
So glad Thomas got out with you, despite the jungle bushwhack,he caught a big beautiful slammer bow!! Those fish look so healthy. Definitely look like natural fish.Must fight like the dickens too! Nice job Dave! Thanks for posting all this!

p.s.. haven't heard much about Ross lately. But, knew he was busy pursuing trout somewhere. Glad you gave a report of his success as well! I wish him continued success!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
EagleCrag

"Said boys need to learn how to use borrowed equipment according to the standards of the owner and put it away in the same condition when they're done with it. I didn't get there until about age 25 so we've possibly got a way to go yet."

Laughed my buns off when I read this. I think every father can probably relate--I surely can. My kids knew there were certain things (fishing equipment and tools) that were off limits and would be dealt with harshly should transgression occur.
EagleCrag is online now   Reply With Quote