Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics > Gear Care & Maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
NukedRocket
Yeah, buddy!

MSR Snowshoe Repair Kit

Since, IMO, I didn't have a solid plan on how to repair a broken snowshoe while in the woods, I went searching for a repair kit to suit that need. Here's what I found. After making a half dozen calls to local merchants whom are MSR "dealers", and searching the online retailers to no avail, I ordered direct, the folks there are very prompt and pleasant. Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

Hey Nuked-
Could you tell me what size the screws and nuts are? Also, I recently had a clevis pin break while hiking. MSR sent me some to fix it and an extra if it happens again, but certainly not a repair I'd want to make with cold hands! I'm gonna try to come up with an easier way to temporarily fix it in the field. And just a heads up, zip ties didn't do the job. It happened while hiking into Camp Peggy O'brien, where fortunately I was able to find a nail that fit perfectly, bent it to the side and taped it. I hiked all day Sat. with no problems.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

I'm going to be buying some copper wire (heavy guage, just not so heavy I won't be able to bend it). I figure that will solve enough of the issues to get me back out. This is a must have though, versus having to send the snowshoe in for repairs.

The kit isn't too heavy so it may be good as a suppliment.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
pico23

Thanks for the link. I was actually thinking about this (for years). I have Kevins solution for crampons and snowshoes (plus a few wing nuts, and a key ring), but an extra pin, and a strap would come in handy for not much weight penalty to make the shoe new again while on a trip, rather than hope for the best with wire and tape.

I do feel the need to note. I finally sent my snowshoes in to MSR in 2006 after 8 years of what I'd consider hard use. I remember my friends uncle pleading with us to not walk on rocks with his guide services Sherpa snow shoes, but sometimes thats just impossible to avoid and with the MSRs a thing of the past. The binding (lower part) was finally tearing in 2005, but I used them all of 2005 like that and they'd probably have lasted 2006 to. In any case, that was the only time they've needed field or factory repair in 9 years of use. And the replacement binding was only $40 (or 35) shipped back to me if I remember correctly.

what I found out though was they will not replace the laceup binding with a laceup binding. So when my wifes laceups (which I use in running shoes and soft boots) wear out, that is the end of that binding which I think was actually superior even if it took longer to put on.

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes
pico23 is offline   Reply With Quote