Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
yellowcanoe

I find cached boats an eyesore..Sorry I don't think ADA does not apply in this instance.

And for those of us who are looking 70 thats why there are light boats. I have friends in their 80s still carrying their Hornbecks.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
Can'tcatchtrout

I can't stand seeing boats chained to trees- DEC needs to enforce the law on this.

The only real reason why people do this is because the are LAZY- and do not want to carry in when they want to go fishing.

The people who follow the law are the ones left out to dry...
Can'tcatchtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #23
fisher39

Once the state or volunteers get rid of the non-functional boats (there are plenty and definitely qualify as garbage!), then we can talk about the possibility of getting rid of the functional ones.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
St.Regis

I don't see what the big deal is with leaving a canoe or small rowboat stashed in the woods. Furthermore, I don't view them as garbage, and I've never heard anyone complain about them until reading this forum.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #25
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
I find cached boats an eyesore..Sorry I don't think ADA does not apply in this instance.

And for those of us who are looking 70 thats why there are light boats. I have friends in their 80s still carrying their Hornbecks.
For those who might not have 2 grand in their budget for a Hornbeck, float tubes are an economical, stealthy, safe fishing platform. $150 will cover everything you need for a basic setup.

Funny, nobody's brought up the issue of safety. most of the boats I've seen stashed in the woods are leaky, frail and unsafe as watercraft. The people I've seen out fishing in them didn't have life jackets...

Finally (and then I WILL butt out of this thread) three of my favorite ponds have boats 'stashed' on the bottom. I doubt they're ever coming out. Ultimately, that's what becomes of all of these so-called community watercraft. If you carry a boat in, you can darn well carry it back out again.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
TCD

Quote: Originally Posted by Cahill
I do stash canoes but I bring them out every fall. The rangers know they're there and don't have any problem with it. Enforcement is an issue but many rangers don't have a problem with it. I really don't see what it hurts as long as they're taken out each year.

They aren't locked, anyone can use them. If they can find them...

Quote: Originally Posted by DSettahr
There is an idea that as long as there are only one or two boats on a lake and they aren't locked up, but are available for everyone to use, management agencies and law enforcement personnel (forest rangers) should "look the other way." The problem with this is that it's selective enforcement..."

I agree completely. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned favored constituencies. I don't think the DEC would look the other way if I stashed climbing gear in the wilderness and told them I was doing it...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #27
swizzlenutz
Professional Bottle Digger

I'm liking this discussion and I've seen my fair share of canoes and row boats in backwoods ponds. Personally I don't see anything wrong with a functional canoe or 2 on a remote pond. Its the sunken ones that I don't like seeing. I personally wouldn't mind hauling out a boat or two if its repairable. I wouldn't take one out that is still usable though. For one I have no idea if it was just put there for the day well someone bushwacks up to a nearby peak or other adventure. But if its at the bottom of the lake or full of bullet holes then its a safe bet its been there a while. I'd hike the rowboat out of Murphy lake if it didn't weigh so dang much. There's a 10 foot rowboat sunk on Middle lake. Anyone know of any lightweight kayaks that need to be removed? Swiz
swizzlenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #28
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
As I said in an earlier post, I fish quite a bit and have never been checked on either backcountry or roadside fishing sites. If someone was inclined to take well over their limit of fish, I don't see much preventing that.
It's probably only a matter of time before you encounter an Environmental Conservation Officer in the woods... they do perform backcountry patrols to check fishing licenses and look out for fish and game violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tcatchtrout View Post
I can't stand seeing boats chained to trees- DEC needs to enforce the law on this.
Rangers do try their best... if you find a stashed boat that is locked to a tree, chances are the local Forest Ranger already knows about it, and may be either trying to track down whose boat it is so that they can force that person to remove the boat themselves, or has already submitted a work order to have the boat removed, and it's just that the State hasn't had the time or money to take care of it yet.

Something to keep in mind is that Forest Rangers are responsible for responding to issues in the developed DEC Campgrounds. This takes up a huge amount of their time during the summer months, and limits the amount of time they can spend dealing with other issues. Again, we're talking about an under staffed and under budgeted agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Funny, nobody's brought up the issue of safety. most of the boats I've seen stashed in the woods are leaky, frail and unsafe as watercraft. The people I've seen out fishing in them didn't have life jackets...
This is also an excellent a point. Often, life jackets cannot be stashed with boats, as they quickly turn into nesting material for various woodland creatures. It's also worth pointing out that engaging in paddling without proper PFDs aboard your craft is illegal, and potentially dangerous. I doubt that the majority of people using stashed backwoods water craft are carrying PFDs with them.

Self-Inflating PFDs are available, and are lightweight and easy to strap to the exterior of your pack. I would encourage that, regardless of legalities and personal viewpoints, everyone who uses stashed canoes in the woods to carry one with them and wear it while paddling.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #29
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Easy solution, stash a couple pair of bolt cutters at every pond/lake. Now all those locked up boats will be available to the public... of course then you have the eyesore of bolt cutters

Last edited by sp_nyp; 04-23-2010 at 10:22 AM..
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #30
Hobbitling
spring fever

Quote:
If you carry a boat in, you can darn well carry it back out again.
I agree.

the convenience of a few is not an excuse.

carry in, carry out, leave no trace.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #31
snelly

I know where there's a pond it's only about a mile walk. It has 5 row boats on the shore nun of them are any good. If i thought I wouldn,t get in trouble I would be willing to drag them out and take them to the salvage yard and sell them for scrap. Tell me what you think? do you think I would get in trouble for taking them?
snelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #32
Hobbitling
spring fever

If they're not safe, and they're not there legally, I can't see why the authorities would stop you from removing them. Call it your earth day good deed.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #33
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I'm more concerned with people who leave trash in their firepits or discard litter on the trail then i am about stashed boats. the caveat however is that if a boat is stashed on public land, then it should be for public use and not chained to a tree.

If I were to come across a boat chained to a tree on public land, my reaction would to bring in bolt cutters my next trek in and free the boat so it will be "forever wild".

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #34
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelly View Post
I know where there's a pond it's only about a mile walk. It has 5 row boats on the shore nun of them are any good. If i thought I wouldn,t get in trouble I would be willing to drag them out and take them to the salvage yard and sell them for scrap. Tell me what you think? do you think I would get in trouble for taking them?
Again, if you're caught removing them by someone who either owns the boat, or uses them enough to feel ownership towards them, it could result in a potentially violent confrontation.

Your best bet would be the contact the DEC first, specifically the ranger who's patrol district the pond is in, and ask them.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #35
EagleCrag

What did you say the name of those ponds were where the boats are stashed?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #36
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
What did you say the name of those ponds were where the boats are stashed?
Rock Lake, Mud Pond, Clear Lake, and Round Pond.

Seriously though, just about every lake and pond in the Adirondacks?

Especially ones where there's fish. I know a guy who will walk around a pond looking for boats. If he finds a bunch he figures the fishing is good and will come back with his gear.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #37
marzrw

Quote:

Funny, you don't see many trashed campsites or boats in other areas of the country like the Rocky Mountains. Rangers there are incredibly strict and the penalties are high. Hmmm...
I too, have experienced this same phenomenon in my few trips out west...We do have an extremely vital, beautiful land...As GREAT as it is...As VT noted, it could be even more magnificent...There will NEVER be consensus on this issue, nor any other ADK issue...Maybe that is a good thing, maybe it's not..It's just a fact...

Well Glen, I guess you stirred the pot on this one...

Not taking any particular side on this one except for the fact that I am truly tired of eyesores, and that most of the boats I have seen are either chained or not seaworthy or garbagey looking...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #38
frizlfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I'm more concerned with people who leave trash in their firepits or discard litter on the trail then i am about stashed boats. the caveat however is that if a boat is stashed on public land, then it should be for public use and not chained to a tree.

If I were to come across a boat chained to a tree on public land, my reaction would to bring in bolt cutters my next trek in and free the boat so it will be "forever wild".

Hawk
Sums it up perfectly IMHO
frizlfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #39
fisher39

Work Day

Perhaps those annoyed with the boats can organize a work day to remove ones that are full of holes and clearly of no use, which qualify in everyone's mind as garbage. The consensus here seems to be that those need to go.

It could be one of those very, very rare circumstances where a thread produces a useful and meaningful result!
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #40
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
Rock Lake, Mud Pond, Clear Lake, and Round Pond.
Don't forget Fish Pond, Grass Pond, Polliwog Pond, Horseshoe Pond, Trout Pond, Long Pond, Follensby Pond, Gull Pond, Mill Brook, Beaver Pond, Spectacle Pond, Goose Pond, Deer Pond, South Lake, North Lake, West Lake, East Lake, Otter Lake, Spruce Lake, Balsam Lake, Tamarack Lake, Pine Lake, First Pond, Second Pond, Third Pond...