Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #81
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
Whoa guys, hold on re the old logging camps and hunting camps! Those sites are loaded with interesting artifacts if you ask me!
Assorted plastic buckets, mountains of rusted tin cans, rotting blue plastic tarps rusted stoves and stove pipe and....old gallon whisky bottles, which are pretty cool actually. But that other stuff, when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #82
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Assorted plastic buckets, mountains of rusted tin cans, rotting blue plastic tarps rusted stoves and stove pipe and....old gallon whisky bottles, which are pretty cool actually. But that other stuff, when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?
Not to mention old gas range stoves, metal bed frames, collapsed roofs, piles of old rotten tarps, etc.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #83
Alpine1

If you'd leave the snowshoes home and make room in the pack you could start hauling the gems out to the edge of the highway...
better wait till next earth day though

Quote:
when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #84
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
But that other stuff, when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?
If I remember correctly, the general legal limit is 50 years. If graffiti is 49 years, 364 days old, it's still graffiti and needs to be washed off the building. But it's its 50 years old, then it's historic.

My mind could be making that fact up though.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #85
Neil
Kayak-46

I found this in the Sawtooths. I think it's a '57. Good thing I left it in situ.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #86
fisher39

Quote:
Oh, nevermind - that stuff is junk! Jeesh, that's bad. As DSettahr says, it needs to have aged at least 50 years, and preferably 75 years or more.

Speaking of modernish junk piles in the middle of nowhere - does anyone know off the top of his or her head when the state really started clamping down on float plane access?
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #87
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
Speaking of modernish junk piles in the middle of nowhere - does anyone know off the top of his or her head when the state really started clamping down on float plane access?
It was when they started designating wilderness areas... I don't recall the dates exactly off the top of my head... I want to say late 60's or early 70's.

I bet a lot of the old, useless, "trashed" boats stored on backcountry lakes were carried in by float plane and left there.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #88
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
If I remember correctly, the general legal limit is 50 years. If graffiti is 49 years, 364 days old, it's still graffiti and needs to be washed off the building. But it's its 50 years old, then it's historic.

My mind could be making that fact up though.
''Historical Debris can be cashed in'' now thats when it gets full attention looncry
Old 05-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #89
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
''Historical Debris can be cashed in''
Antiques! Poke around any antique shop and you'll see there's a lot of money to be made in historical debris.

DSettahr, that timing about the float planes makes a lot of sense. I'm glad it happened!
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #90
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
I bet a lot of the old, useless, "trashed" boats stored on backcountry lakes were carried in by float plane and left there.
This would lend a new interpretation to the "carry in-carry out" adage.

Ie. "I didn't carried the damn thing in here so why the heck would I carry it out"?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #91
runslikeajohndeere

If my troop carries out trash from Goodluck Lake, would it remotely possible to arrange a trash pickup off of the trailhead? I've yet to speak with local ranger ( on my todo list). I don't believe there are any trashed boats there, but I did not explore the entire lake front on my spring break.

We intend to explore the Silver Lake Wilderness and this would be a good community service project in my mind. Suggestions for alternatives are welcome.
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #92
ask0329

Quote:
Don't forget Fish Pond, Grass Pond, Polliwog Pond, Horseshoe Pond, Trout Pond, Long Pond, Follensby Pond, Gull Pond, Mill Brook, Beaver Pond, Spectacle Pond, Goose Pond, Deer Pond, South Lake, North Lake, West Lake, East Lake, Otter Lake, Spruce Lake, Balsam Lake, Tamarack Lake, Pine Lake, First Pond, Second Pond, Third Pond...
We have a camp on north lake and spend a ton of time up there. I've never come across a stashed canoe. We have a row boat and a canoe chained to the tree on our property by our firepit on the water. (posted signs are very clear). We've had problems with people breaking into our camp this past year and I just pray I happen upon them while I'm there. See them talk their way out of the front of a 12 guage will be fun.
ask0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #93
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

See them talk their way out of the front of a 12 guage will be fun.

And then you are replacing every window next fall...careful.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #94
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
See them talk their way out of the front of a 12 guage will be fun.

And then you are replacing every window next fall...careful.
I am not necessarily following this... are you saying you wouldn't hold a burglar/robber until the authorities arrived?

What would you do, give them a stern talking to?

When I was a kid there were some unscrupulous characters sawing down trees right by the end of our driveway off the main road (right next to the posted sign and the state line marker). I recall my dad hopping in the truck and driving up there to see what was going on. When they saw the rifle - they took off up the road. The authorities were notified and the guys were later caught cutting trees on state land and dealt with.

They haven't been back breaking every window or cutting all the trees down.

Neither have the "kids" that were caught after breaking into our camp a few years ago.

Last edited by sp_nyp; 06-25-2010 at 01:59 PM..
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #95
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

I mistook the breaking in comment as referring to the thread of stashed boats. i.e. someone was taking your boats out.

Regardless, menacing someone with a gun is generally my final option. If I felt my safety was in danger, yes. But to chase away kids or people hunting on posted land I would not.

Would you shoot them if they tried to run ?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #96
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

first let me apologize for the thread drift.

PQ - I agree with you, it it is a final option.

Would I shoot them if they ran? No, not if they weren't a threat to anyone's safety.

I think these are some of the first rules I learned in regard to firearm safety

- Treat every weapon as if it was loaded.
- Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
- Keep your weapon on safe, until you intend to fire.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.

You can see flagrant violations of this rule in videos (tv reality, news, home video) of law enforcement officers. Drawing their weapons and pointing them at people that pose no immediate threat. I am not saying all law enforcement do this - just that it happens ... and that it happens in a public forum.

I should clarify this as well - my father never aimed the rifle at anyone... it was just visible in his truck - and he didn't chase or shoot after them. They just fled and the authorities were alerted.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #97
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Well i should apologize for commenting instead of reading through..guilty as charged lol.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #98
ask0329

I wouldnt ever shoot anyone either but the mere sight of a firearm is a great persuader. Our boats are stored near the shore of the lake and our camp is up the trail from the boats. People get curious and one thing leads to another.............
ask0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #99
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Thread resurrection alert!!

It's been a few years since this thread was started. Back then I didn't often find myself wandering in to backcountry ponds. Recently however Cedarvale and I have rekindled our love of paddling and have been wandering about looking for tranquil places to enjoy. Including some ponds.

Finding boats? Oh yeah. Loving finding them? Nope. Tolerating finding them? Nope. They've gotta go. Cedarvale and I aren't putting in miles with canoes on our backs to look at large hulks of shiny aluminum trash.

My position on this hasn't changed since I posted on this thread a few years back, but now that I'm seeing these eyesores again my desire to actually DO something about it has. All we've been able to do so far is dismantle one makeshift campsite with lots of litter around it and an old fire pit that must've fortunately been used only when the duff was very very wet. The fire pit has been filled, the trash has been hauled out, and the campsite has been brushed in. But the boats on that particular pond are still there... for now.

Perhaps someone has done this already and the info is available on the forum somewhere, but I will be contacting some DEC folks I know to see if there is anything that WE, the owners of the property on which these boats/trash have been illegally dumped, can do about it.

Times change and people need to embrace, or at least accept, that change. I was party to leaving a boat on a pond a few decades ago. That boat was used many times before life events steered me away from fishing for awhile. The boat was still there a few years ago when I visited the pond. I am ashamed to say that I've yet to haul it out. I'll be dealing with it soon.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #100
mike

I always found it a shame that there's never any nice boats in the woods...only those leaky canoes/aluminum monstrosities.

I'd be willing to haul a nicer boat out and "clean up" the woods.