Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
rahchacha

Questions about St Regis Canoe Area

Around mid-June my brother and I are planning on canoing either the nine carries or seven carries route in St Regis. We both have 12 foot pack canoes. This will be a day trip for trout fishing and sightseeing/photography.

I have a bunch of questions which will help in planning a trip. Which route do you prefer, or what are the merits of each? What are the trails like on the portages (width, obstacles, mud, etc.)? Roughly how many lakes can we hit in one day? Any recommendations on websites or maps for reference? Would love to see some pics, we are really excited for this trip!
rahchacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

When WCHA was at Paul Smiths my husband and a friend routinely every year did the Seven Carries route. It took them about five hours. They did not spend time fishing.

They both had solo canoes and single carried.

Who knows about obstacles. Nature is dynamic. The portages are not hard to find. A tree can blow down at any time. It can be muddy.

Just get the Paddlers Map.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahchacha View Post
Around mid-June my brother and I are planning on canoing either the nine carries or seven carries route in St Regis. We both have 12 foot pack canoes. This will be a day trip for trout fishing and sightseeing/photography.

I have a bunch of questions which will help in planning a trip. Which route do you prefer, or what are the merits of each? What are the trails like on the portages (width, obstacles, mud, etc.)? Roughly how many lakes can we hit in one day? Any recommendations on websites or maps for reference? Would love to see some pics, we are really excited for this trip!
Truth be told, I can't help you with this - but wanted to welcome another Rochesterian to the forum!

There will be plenty of folks who can help - so hang tight and they'll be here soon.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
KurtVon

I've done both the 7 carries and 9 carries route in a trip. I was a voyager for a boyscout camp and took at week long trek through this area. It really is such a beautiful area up there. I would suggest doing both routes if you can. If not, I preferred doing the 9 carries route because it was more remote and the ponds are small. You'll usually get some of these ponds all to yourself.

As far as camping goes, pick up a paddlers map. You can find many campsites on there which you can choose from. The carries were in pretty good shape. Some of the trails were long and muddy, but thats what makes the trip that more fun.
"To live only for some future goal is shallow. Itís the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Hereís where things grow. But of course, without the top you canít have any sides. Itís the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com
KurtVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
madmike

9 carries

I closed the route through USL in 10 hours. No fishing but frequent breaks for swims, and photography.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
cgill

Here’s and option. Put in at Upper St Regis and paddle NW to the carry to Bog Pond, follow the 7 Carries to St Regis Pond and then finish on the 9 Carries. The Padders Map is great and this variation will be obvious.

Some of the carries past Upper St Regis are on the long side but there are some that follow some really cool eskers and the long carry to Long Pond is a very nice walk in the woods. There’s nothing like a healthy portage to keep the riff raff away. The more remote ponds have good fishing and beautiful sightseeing. You could easily spend a week on this trip if you spend a lot of time fishing. Try to pack light to make the carries more agreeable.
cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

. If this is a day trip AND you want to fish forget the 9 carries, though the fishing can be great in mid june. The best fishing is in the evening until well after dark for the drake hatches on most of the ponds.
. For a day trip put in on Upper Saint Regis as mentioned before go through Bog pond and fish Bear, Little Long and Green. Green sees the least fishing and has lots of brookies. Little Long gets a lot of preasure.
. That said you really have to take at least 4 days and do the 9 carries route and fish all the interior ponds.
. I may be up there a few days between June 7-11 myself, if you see a guy in a woodstrip solo canoe and a fly rod say hi.
. John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I second WW's welcome. Good to see more rochester in the house.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's been a few years since I've been through the St. Regis Canoe Area, but I remember the carries being easy to find and free of blowdown. I don't know of any major storms that have passed through the area since then.

The carries can be a bit muddy, however, especially the longer ones. Also, I remember some of the put ins and take outs at the ends of each carry had some pretty deep mucky and detritus filled waters.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Graybeard

Several suggestions:
*If at all possible, avoid weekends that time of year.
*For minimal portage time, begin as suggested on Upper St. Regis--The several portages are all short.
*If your goal is bragging rights, by all means go as far and fast as you can but if you're there for enjoyment take your time and don't hesitate to come back the same way you went in--I find a route in reverse or at a different time of day is quite a different experience, not to mention that your vehicle is there waiting for you.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The Seven Carries could be paddled and fished in a day, but it'd be a long day if you're planning on doing a lot of fishing.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

You asked for photos, here are mine from a Little Clear to Fish Pond trip a while back:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tomaszew...PondAndOthers#

And here's a few to tease you.
We have traveled all through that area, we once went from Little Clear to St. Regis to Lttle Long to Bear and back as a day trip with our 2 year old daughter. No fishing, but easily done with plenty of stopping and swimming along the way.
Spend as much time there as you can, you won't regret it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fish%20Pond_009.jpg (110.6 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Fish%20Pond_055.jpg (68.2 KB, 349 views)
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
mphilli2

For whatever it is worth, I like to make camp on Long, Little Long, or St. Regis and then make day trips to other ponds from there. Less time spent making and breaking camp & less stuff to carry between ponds, but of course I must then carry my canoe back to my base pond. Was on St. Regis a week or so ago; there were groups at three other sites on St. Regis, one on Green, and two on Fish. I suppose the area will be more heavily used the closer we get to July.

Good trails in the area, at least when the beaver have not flooded portions.

You can catch trout near the surface of St. Regis by trolling spoons or a clear lake wobbler with a fly or worm trailing, among other methods. I wonder, though, if the warm weather we've been having will soon be driving the fish deeper. I wish I had brought along my fly rod; there were good evening hatches with many fish rising.

I hope you have a great trip.
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

St. Regis Mountain can also be easily hiked (6 mile round trip) from North Bay on Upper St. Regis Lake. There are several public lean-tos on or near North Bay as well, but many of them don't show up on any maps... pm me if you want more info.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

St. Regis Mt. is a straight shot if you bushwhack from St Regis Pond. If you are staying on St. regis, it makes for a nice day outing. Check your maps...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
Crazy Beverly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahchacha View Post

Personally, I'd allocate at least 5 days to fully enjoy the sightseeing, photography and fishing opportunities that those routes provide.

I caught a nice one at the crack of dawn on Clamshell! That won't happen on a day trip.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #17
runslikeajohndeere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
St. Regis Mountain can also be easily hiked (6 mile round trip) from North Bay on Upper St. Regis Lake. There are several public lean-tos on or near North Bay as well, but many of them don't show up on any maps... pm me if you want more info.
Are these lean-tos still in existence?
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by runslikeajohndeere View Post
Are these lean-tos still in existence?
Yes. Since I've made that post, the National Geographic Map has been updated to show some of them.

The Lean-tos are as follows:

Upper St. Regis: Located partway down the east shore of northwest bay, not far from the canoe carry to the St. Regis River.

Honeymooner's: Located along the canoe carry on Marvin Pond, midway between Northwest Bay and the St. Regis River.

St. Regis River: Located on a peninsula (esker) on the south shore of the St. Regis River just east of the St. Regis Mountain parking area.

Bent Spike: Located on the south shore of the St. Regis River about midway between Lower St. Regis Lake and the St. Regis Mountain parking area.

If my memory serves, all of these lean-tos have dirt floors. Also, even though they are on Paul Smith's College property, the property is under easement with NY State so the normal stand land use regulations apply (no tents inside of/adjacent to lean-tos, permits for groups larger than 9/stays longer than 3 nights, etc.).
Old 05-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #19
runslikeajohndeere

Thanks!
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote