Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #21
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKian View Post
Well Sunday is the big day. I can't believe it's almost here. If all goes as planned I should have a good trip report for the 20th.
clicky on imaginary "like" button.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #22
Justin

Nice!
Good luck fellas!
I'll try & see if I can catch up with you guys in the West Canadas, or further south for a night or a day.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #23
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Nice!
Good luck fellas!
I'll try & see if I can catch up with you guys in the West Canadas, or further south for a night or a day.
That would be great! I think we figured to be around the west canadas around Friday. Russ knows the itinerary a little better if he wants to elaborate.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #24
DuctTape
Out of Shape

sent it to him.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #25
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Good Luck Guys. I'll be envious.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
ADKian

Good deal Russ. Thank you Hawk, we should be out on the 20th if you're going to be around for a stop by? Thanks again for keeping me full and energized with some delicious vittles. Actually looking forward to dinner on the trail now.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
ADKian

Here we go! Been running around all day tying up loose ends and getting ready. Can't wait to write the TR when we're back. DT see you in the morning, everyone else see you on the other side!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
Justin

I was almost going to stop on my home today, and drop a little present off in the Upper Benson trail register for you guys.
I didn't because I remembered that you are hiking north to south, and your gift would most likely be gone by the time you got there.
Maybe I'll see you guys next weekend, I'll definitely try, we'll see.
Have fun fellas.
Looking forward to hearing about the trip.

Btw, saw your entry from a couple weeks ago in the Pillsbury lean-to log book today.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #29
ADKian

Well we will have to wait for Russ' trip report, if you want mine quick here it is. Met at the Benson trail head everything was great and I felt wonderful. We get to about 5 minutes before averyville rd. and my stomach went in knots. We get out and I start throwing up and getting chills. We hang out for a little bit to see if it passes and then out of no where it feels like someone is inside my gut lighting torches. We decide for Russ to go on and I am going to the hospital to get checked out and if all is well I would just catch up later on. Well turns out it was a blessing that it happened when it did and not miles down the trail because I had to have my appendix out. So here I am at home very bummed out for missing a trip I was so looking forward to, but the trail will always be there.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
KeanGrad

Wow Ian that was a close one. Appendix problems can be very serious. Your a lucky guy and your right, the trail will always be there. Good attitude.

Hope your better soon.
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #31
8thday
**BANNED**

Well I guess you're lucky you were able to get to a hospital quickly. My nephew had his appendix out when he was in his early teens. I remember his mom saying it was very painful & an emergency room type situation. I did a little research at that time about the appendix. It's basically a useless worm-like shaped extension off the large intestine, I think. Wherever it actually is, one thing I read about it was that small seeds can fall down in there & clog it up causing inflammation & infection. Poppy seeds or sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, caraway seeds on rye bread, stuff like that. I love everything bagels, but don't eat them as much as I did prior to learning the appendix/seed problem. Can you describe exactly where they had to cut into you to fix it? I'm curious. Also tell us if you think possibly working out too much may have caused a strain type injury, (sit-ups maybe?) Maybe it has something to do with your normal diet? Or could it be getting bit too much from the black-plague flies? Or could it be from water that was either polluted or not filtered/boiled good enough? Get well soon. Better luck next trip!
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #32
ADKian

It is indeed very painfulll and can even be deadly if it ruptures. The seed theory is interesting because within the past few months I've been eating a lot of sun flower seeds. I will have to ask the surgeon more about it when I go back on Friday. The incisions made are just 3 small (maybe 1/4") cuts. One just below my belly button, another a little below that and another a few inches to the right. I will let you know more about the cause Friday when I get home as Im curious now too. I thought it was just something that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thday View Post
Well I guess you're lucky you were able to get to a hospital quickly. My nephew had his appendix out when he was in his early teens. I remember his mom saying it was very painful & an emergency room type situation. I did a little research at that time about the appendix. It's basically a useless worm-like shaped extension off the large intestine, I think. Wherever it actually is, one thing I read about it was that small seeds can fall down in there & clog it up causing inflammation & infection. Poppy seeds or sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, caraway seeds on rye bread, stuff like that. I love everything bagels, but don't eat them as much as I did prior to learning the appendix/seed problem. Can you describe exactly where they had to cut into you to fix it? I'm curious. Also tell us if you think possibly working out too much may have caused a strain type injury, (sit-ups maybe?) Maybe it has something to do with your normal diet? Or could it be getting bit too much from the black-plague flies? Or could it be from water that was either polluted or not filtered/boiled good enough? Get well soon. Better luck next trip!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #33
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Bummer!!! But yes, Lucky you hadn't gotten in.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #34
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

I don't think eating seeds would do it. You probably had an infected, inflamed appendix for a long time and something ruptured it (putting on your pack?).
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #35
Justin

So sorry to the news Ian,
Glad you're ok though.

I was hoping to meet up with you and Russ this weekend somewhere in the West Canadas, but it looks like I will be headed elsewhere with some family & friends this weekend.

I hope Russ is doing ok with this.
I'm sure he is, but I'm certain that he is worried about you and wondering if you're ok.
Nothing like hiking solo for miles & miles, day after day, thinking about things...

Maybe someone else from here will meet up with him along the way somewhere and let him know that everything is ok.
I know he'd definitely appreciate it.

Get well soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #36
ADKian

We've been in contact via text message. My wife sent him one while I was in the hospital letting him know what was going on. He said he would occasionally turn his phone on to see if he got service and we actually talked yesterday. He is doing well and I am meeting him in Benson Wednesday. Hawk he did mention wanting to still come by if you're going to be home?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #37
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
I don't think eating seeds would do it. You probably had an infected, inflamed appendix for a long time and something ruptured it (putting on your pack?).
Funny you mention that, I had just put my pack when the burning part started.

Thanks for the well wishes too everyone.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #38
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKian View Post
Funny you mention that, I had just put my pack when the burning part started.

Thanks for the well wishes too everyone.
my God you have the worst luck on that trail.... Glad to see your in good spirits and back to recovery.... you may wanna stay off that trail take care Ian,

Rob
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13

My Hiking Photos
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #39
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
my God you have the worst luck on that trail.... Glad to see your in good spirits and back to recovery.... you may wanna stay off that trail take care Ian,

Rob
Haha yes the NPT hates me. Funny I've hiked so many other trails without a problem but if I even set foot on that trail head it's all over. Maybe the third times the charm?
Old 01-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #40
GPIPE
GPipe

Spring paddle?

Hello - I am new to this forum. I joined because I am looking for a partner or partners to team up with for a weekend paddling trip. I have not been out on any trips in a few years and don't really have anyone that wants to head out for a weeken so i am seein if there is anyone out there in my shoes that just wants to head out for a weekend get away. I would like to go in April or May to enjoy the spring wonderland. I thought of osgood river as the boreal forest is spectacular in spring (I went to Paul smiths) - there are a couple of camp sites along the river that make for a nice base camp c or further paddling up the many branched or out for a hike. Please let me know if interested. Will probably go alone if no one available. Thanks
GPIPE is offline   Reply With Quote