Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > ADKHighpeaks Foundation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Volunteer Summit Steward Positions Available

As most of you are aware, the ADKHP Foundation has supported the summit steward program for the past 2 years and has made the commitment to provide financial support for a third year in 2013.

A newer twist to the program has resulted in the recruitment of a increasing numbers of volunteers. One can easily conclude that this forum is tailor-made as a source of potential recruits into the volunteer program.

In reading Julia Goren's interesting and easy to read 2012 End of Season Report I was struck by how diversified the program is. Although I highly recommend that every hiker read this account and I promise it won't bore anybody, I present here a few excerpts that struck me.
Quote:
  • The summer was beautiful, sunny, and BUSY, with record numbers of visitors.
  • As our visitation numbers continue to increase, the need for the Summit Steward program remains clear.
  • More project days to do trail work on summits where we don’t have a regular presence
  • This summer we had a total of 41 project days, allowing us to do work on Algonquin, Armstrong, Basin, Cascade, Colden, Dix, Giant, Gothics, Haystack, Iroquois, Rocky Peak Ridge, Marcy, Saddleback, Skylight, and Wright. Projects ranged from side cutting overgrown trail to installing newsigns to rebuilding cairns and freshening paint blazes. Moreover, most of this was accomplished with one steward out with a broken foot! This season, over 800 feet of social trail was brushed in, 103 areas were packed with rock, 346 feet of new scree wall was constructed, 22 cairns were repaired, 200 blazes were repainted, 1600 feet of trail was side cut, and 6 new stepping stones were placed!
  • I added a few new photos to our library of shoulder season images this winter. Damage was particularly visible as this past winter had such a reduced snow pack. I will continue to work on this throughout the fall/winter/spring on 2012-2013.
  • As mentioned above, it was a very productive year for various trail projects. This summer’s crew took brushing in impacted trailside areas very, very seriously. Major and routine trail projects were completed throughout the summer, including replacing signs, fixing cairns, brushing in areas, constructing and repairing scree walls, packing in eroded areas, repainting blazes, and side cutting.
If you are interested in volunteering for the program there will a training session, whose date has been set for April 13, 2013. Formore information send an email to Julia at this address: summit@adk.org

Here is an overview of what the position of Volunteer Steward would entail. The PDF document is attached to this post.
Quote:
High Peaks Volunteer Summit Steward
Overview:
The goal of the High Peaks Volunteer Summit Steward Program is to protect New York’s fragile alpine ecosystem through education, trail work, and research. A Volunteer Summit Steward’s foremost goal is to encourage hikers to walk on the solid bedrock above timberline, thereby protecting the threatened and endangered flora of the alpine zone.
The Summit Steward Program is a cooperative effort of the Adirondack chapter of The Nature Conservancy (ANC), the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), and the Adirondack Mountain Club.
Program Location:
The Volunteer Summit Steward Program focuses on the High Peaks region, specifically Mt. Marcy, Algonquin, Wright Peak, Colden, and Cascade.
Responsibilities:
• Through “low-key,” person to person educational contacts on the summits protect the endangered alpine flora by encouraging hikers to walk on the solid bedrock.
• Provide hikers with interpretive education to promote a greater understanding and appreciation of the alpine communities. Have information available about the natural history, ecology, and botany of the summits.
• Complete alpine trail definition projects which include: (re)building rock cairns & walls and (re)painting trail blazes.
• Encourage hikers to follow DEC regulations, and inform Rangers of trail misuse and emergencies.
• Gather and report use figures from the summits to be incorporated into the High Peaks Unit Management Plan.
• The Volunteer Summit Steward Program shall not be responsible for initiating or conducting backcountry search and rescue operations.

Qualifications:
  • Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diversity of people.
  • Commitment to stewardship and environmental education.
  • Knowledge/awareness of Alpine Zone environmental issues
  • Ability to hike moderate-long distances
  • Comfortable hiking in inclement weather
  • Willingness to wear required uniform
  • Able to complete paperwork at end of each service weekend
Typical Schedule: (Marcy, Algonquin, Colden, Wright)
  • Arrive at Adirondack Loj at 7:15am
  • Get radio, map case with counter from desk in Field Programs office
  • Hike to the summit, aiming to arrive by 9 or 9:30am
  • Spend a day on the summit, talking to visitors and spreading the message of alpine stewardship; tally number of visitors with whom you converse
  • Depart summit at approximately 4-4:30pm
  • Leave radio, map case, and competed report form on desk in Field Programs office

Typical Schedule: (Cascade)
  • Same schedule as above, except that radio, etc should be retrieved the day before volunteering. Julia can arrange drop-off of radio at pre-arranged location.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volunteer_description.pdf (288.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
gregpphoto

I thought summit stewards were paid? I believe the ADK club told me so. And they should, because that sort of work is just that: work.
gregpphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

You're right. Summit stewards do get paid. But now the program is supplementing what they do with volunteers.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

This is a great program. Also, anyone looking for jobs with the DEC or as a Park Ranger this is a great resume item.