Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #61
DuctTape
Out of Shape

A good book for those interested is "How to Sh!t in the Woods".

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #62
rickhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossarden View Post
the best sanitary tool is a small garden shovel.... hole should be six inches down...obviously not near water or other activity. TP?... a leaf or two is perfectly fine with me
Just make sure it's not poison ivy...
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #63
ADKpikebuster

Can't believe I just read a thread about what people do with their sh!t when they're in the woods, I can't be that bored....can I?

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #64
mossarden

Sanitation is actually very appropriate subject matter for this forum. Not adding nutrients and bacteria to water is a huge issue, for the ADK's...and much of the world ..... ( The Gates Foundation, in trying to solve the world's big problems, is working on designing better outhouses.)
We need to care that our waste is disposed of properly and biodegrades naturally....otherwise its pollution.
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #65
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Just make sure it's not poison ivy...
Fortunately, poison ivy is extremely rare in the Adirondack backcounty.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #66
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossarden View Post
Sanitation is actually very appropriate subject matter for this forum. Not adding nutrients and bacteria to water is a huge issue, for the ADK's...and much of the world ..... ( The Gates Foundation, in trying to solve the world's big problems, is working on designing better outhouses.)
We need to care that our waste is disposed of properly and biodegrades naturally....otherwise its pollution.

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #67
wellsley

Camping Rules and Guidelines

Please note: Specific land units in the forest preserve may have regulations that differ from the rules and guidelines listed below. For information about specific land areas, look at our regulations page or contact the Regional Office near the land unit of interest.

Camp Here designation disk
Rules and guidelines for the use of public lands managed by DEC are generally as follows:
•Camping is prohibited within 150 feet of any road, trail, spring, stream, pond or other body of water except at areas designated by a "camp here" disk.
•Groups of ten or more persons OR stays of more than three days in one place require a permit from the New York State Forest Ranger responsible for the area.
•Lean-tos are available in many areas on a first come first served basis. Lean-tos cannot be used exclusively and must be shared with other campers.
•Use pit privies provided near popular camping areas and trailheads. If none are available, dispose of human waste by digging a hole 6"-8" deep at least 150 feet from water or campsites. Cover with leaves and soil.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #68
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
A good book for those interested is "How to Sh!t in the Woods".
The long answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
ĽUse pit privies provided near popular camping areas and trailheads. If none are available, dispose of human waste by digging a hole 6"-8" deep at least 150 feet from water or campsites. Cover with leaves and soil.
The short one.

And the official LNT answer to the original pose is to pack out the TP which I refuse to do if there is organic soil.

Now in the winter... what does one do when the ground is frozen and hole can't be dug?
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #69
Justin
Moving along

No TP?
No problem.
Just use the communal "Camp Rock" curtain.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #70
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
The long answer.

The short one.

And the official LNT answer to the original pose is to pack out the TP which I refuse to do if there is organic soil.

Now in the winter... what does one do when the ground is frozen and hole can't be dug?
The technique is called "smearing" or "frosting". One is to smear their feces thin on an exposed rock, the uV from the sun will destroy the microbes and the wind/precipitation will wash it all away. This technique can also be used in other conditions such as lack of organic soil to biodegrade. This technique is no longer recommended due to people not following proper smearing protocols.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #71
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
The technique is called "smearing" or "frosting". One is to smear their feces thin on an exposed rock, the uV from the sun will destroy the microbes and the wind/precipitation will wash it all away. This technique can also be used in other conditions such as lack of organic soil to biodegrade.
I've never heard of that but it sounds awful. I'd rather take my chances with the camp rock curtain!

I try to find a log a I can hide it under but in most cases have been near a privy. Luckily I'm not out long enough in the winter to have to excise this very often.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #72
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
No TP?
No problem.
Just use the communal "Camp Rock" curtain.
Kelly Point, Long Lake, High Peaks Wilderness?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #73
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
I've never heard of that but it sounds awful. I'd rather take my chances with the camp rock curtain!
This is commonly accepted practice in the desert.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #74
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Kelly Point, Long Lake, High Peaks Wilderness?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #75
wellsley

I'd get off the beaten path and if there was snow bury it in the snow, if no snow cover it with leaf litter. I ain't packing it out. I do know of a ticket given for crapping in the woods, the person was almost on the trail and in plan site did not even try to cover it. I think if you just use a little common sense there should be a problem.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:14 AM   #76
John H Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
Now in the winter... what does one do when the ground is frozen and hole can't be dug? I'd get off the beaten path and if there was snow bury it in the snow, if no snow cover it with leaf litter. I ain't packing it out. I do know of a ticket given for crapping in the woods, the person was almost on the trail and in plan site did not even try to cover it. I think if you just use a little common sense there should be a problem.
I burn it.
John H Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #77
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H Swanson View Post
I burn it.
Sounds doable at times.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #78
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Would this be a help for some?

Hey all of you IBSers - here is an invention that you are going to kick yourself for not thinking up first: glow-in-the-dark toilet paper. A company out of the UK called Thumbs Up has beaten you to the punch. And, what a good idea it is! No longer will you need to put on glaring overhead lighting when you need to use the john. The web site itself labels the product "perfect for power cuts".
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #79
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I have IBS and I don't really get it?

I am proficient at digging holes and I always carry some eco-friendly paper with me. I keep a headlamp for night duties.

My wife did tell me the other day she envisions her last thoughts before she dies being me walking into the woods with a roll of tp under my arm
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #80
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Would this be a help for some?

Hey all of you IBSers - here is an invention that you are going to kick yourself for not thinking up first: glow-in-the-dark toilet paper. A company out of the UK called Thumbs Up has beaten you to the punch. And, what a good idea it is! No longer will you need to put on glaring overhead lighting when you need to use the john. The web site itself labels the product "perfect for power cuts".
No. At seven dollars plus a roll you have to be kidding. Plus better living through more chemistry? God forbid I ever see this in the Adirondacks.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote