Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
dundee

"homeless" man on NP

Found this older thread at our friends at VFTT and thought I'd make sure that the folks here knew about this. Anyone here run into this guy? Any problems? Is he still out there?

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...-the-NLP-Trail
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I ran into him this fall while through hiking the NPT. I was mostly unaware at the time of any of the controversy surrounding him- I'd heard of him but that was about it. I had a very pleasant 10 or 15 minute conversation with him. He didn't seem off or acting unusual, at least not any more so than the typical long distance backpacker.

I didn't spend a night camped with him, though- it sounds like I would've been in for a unique experience had I done so. It also sounds like I would have maybe had a different experience had I been a female.

At the time, he was getting ready to get off the trail for a few days, then planning to return for (I think) a triple through hike (North/South/North again) in late October/early November. I don't think he had any plans to be on the trail after that.

As I posted in that thread:

Quote:
If you ever have any issues in the Adirondack Backcountry that you feel necessitates Law Enforcement response, you should contact the DEC Law Enforcement/the NYS Forest Rangers, not the New York State Police. In all likelihood, the State Police would forward any backcountry complaints to the Forest Rangers anyways. Forest Rangers are essentially police officers with statewide jurisdiction who focus on law enforcement on state lands in NY. They will "care" and will respond to any emergency situation, or any situation in the backcountry that necessitates a law enforcement response.

The statewide dispatch # for DEC Law Enforcement is 1-877-457-5680. It is a useful number to copy down and keep on hand, just in case.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Hey sounds like this guy stole my Modern Day Hermit idea, but is taking things to a different level.
I hope nothing bad becomes of it, and I sure hope he hasn't found any of my secret hidden campsites.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hey sounds like this guy stole my Modern Day Hermit idea, but is taking things to a different level.
I hope nothing bad becomes of it, and I sure hope he hasn't found any of my secret hidden campsites.
He'd spent something like 60 straight days on the NPT, hiking back and forth between Northville and Lake Placid, when I talked to him. He'd found quite a bit of stuff. I know that he was flagging all of the side trails to springs and unmarked lean-tos (like the springs in the West Canada Lakes and the lean-tos on Long Lake).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I know that he was flagging all of the side trails to springs...
Interesting.
I found this odd marker near a spring off the NPT not far from one of my hide-outs.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I met "the Hobo" last summer too. Never thought of him as homeless. IIRC he was filming the NPT and/or planning on writing a trail guide book or something of the sort.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Grey-Jay

We met him at the Cedar River Leanto. Chatted for 20 minutes. Gloversville resident mentioned doing a trail video. While ok chat, I would not have desired to share the Leanto.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Uncle Alvah

I'm not too keen on the idea of sharing a lean to with anyone I don't know, with the exception of Taylor Swift.
If I want to chat with strangers, I'll go to a tavern.
This guy sounds pretty harmless to me. You would never even notice him in a city, he is only conspicuous because the setting encourages some amount of interaction.
As far as the gun goes, I hate to think we've reached a point where a man in the woods with a firearm is a cause for concern.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
I'm not too keen on the idea of sharing a lean to with anyone I don't know, with the exception of Taylor Swift.
If I want to chat with strangers, I'll go to a tavern.
This guy sounds pretty harmless to me. You would never even notice him in a city, he is only conspicuous because the setting encourages some amount of interaction.
As far as the gun goes, I hate to think we've reached a point where a man in the woods with a firearm is a cause for concern.
It depends on who the man with the firearm is!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
It depends on who the man with the firearm is!
It may also depend if the man with the firearm is carrying legally or not.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Uncle Alvah

Quote:
It may also depend if the man with the firearm is carrying legally or not.
Interesting observations.
However, I do not wish to derail this thread, so if ya'll will indulge me, I believe I'll start a separate thread. If you care to elaborate there, I'd be interested in hearing.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #12
thedoughnut

I met Hobo Chris while I was attempting the trail last summer. I came up on him at the Silver Lake lean to. I ended up chatting with him for a while and ended up sharing the lean to with him. He built one hell of a fire and offered to cook dinner for me, which I politely declined. We stayed up talking hiking and what not. He was planning to film the entire NPT trail and sell a video hiking guide. In the morning he made a great cup of coffee. I ate my breakfast and soon left.
I feel that he is harmless, he showed no hostility towards me at all. I can see how a woman would feel uncomfortable, but I don't think he'd do anything. I think he's getting a bad rap because people don't know him.

~thedoughnut
thedoughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
STONERLAKE

Hobo

I ran into him last year with two buddies at Cedar Lake. We had taken him by surprise, as he wasn't wearing his eye patch and looked like he just woke up. We conversed with him for quite a while and he told us about the video he was making. He had a small camera which did not appear suitable for those purposes and spoke of all the fish he catches yet he did not have a fishing pole. He was very knowledgeable of the area and the trail and we did not spend the evening with him. He does have a FB page and I plan on buying his advertised video if/when completed. We found him to be jovial and friendly but a bit eccentric.
"For me, and for thousands with similar inclinations, the most important passion of life is the overpowering desire to escape periodically from the clutches of mechanistic civilization. To us the enjoyment of solitude, complete independence, and the beauty of undefined panoramas is absolutely essential to happiness." - Bob Marshalll
STONERLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
TCD

I don't worry about him myself, being male, but this post

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...l=1#post402006

tells me all I need to know about the guy. He may be making the best NP trail DVD ever, but he doesn't belong out there. Sooner or later he's going to menace the wrong woman with his advances, and find a hole in himself.

For the sake of everyone involved, I hope he gets off the trail before he makes that happen.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #15
crepuscular

Planning a loop from Calkins horse trail> NPT Cold River Stretch> Back to Corey's in June. I wonder if he's still kickin around...
crepuscular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #16
Foraging_bear

Although this is a slightly older thread, I did run in to HOBO on my NPT thru-hike a few weeks ago. I ran into him/shared the lean-to for the night at beaver pond and I honestly felt comfortable and 100% at ease and not threatened at all. He had mention he was off trail for the last year or 2 but now in better health he has resumed his guide book project(waiting for the new re-route off road in northville to be completed so he can finish his project) I have heard stories and read of people being scared and feeling threatened. I can not speak for others but all I know is that in my experience he was cheerful ,entertaining and very knowledgable about the areas/trails geology and history and locations of springs and tips about upcoming trail sections. I would encourage anyone to have a conversation and get to know him a bit first ,despite his seemingly "threatening" appearance. I'm not endorsing him or saying I agree with everything he says or does or trying to defend him or anything like that ...just that I encounterd him and thought he was an interesting guy and enjoyed His company that evening. He did mention he has had a few encounters where people were very rude and or hostel towards him , and just like most people would , after a while he got sick of it and he retaliated back .....the old "treat others how you want to be treated " scenario, you're a jerk to me and I'll be a jerk back . It also seemed as though "HOBO" was more an act/ a character that he plays into a little while in the "dacks" ....probably to keep himself entertained while on trail for extended lengths of time.the more I talked to him the more he just seemed like a guy who was tired of modern society/government/Bullsh....... Yada yada yada blah blah blah ...and this was his way of escaping and not having to deal with it as much , a modern day hermit Of sorts.
Foraging_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #17
TCD

Quote from a female poster on VFTT:

"This guy tried to put his hands on me. Said sexually offensive things."

Quote from this thread:

"I would encourage anyone to have a conversation and get to know him a bit first ,despite his seemingly "threatening" appearance."

Sorry, not buying it. I would encourage anyone to have caution, and I would encourage females not to travel alone on our "signature" through trail.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #18
Foraging_bear

That is certainly no to be over looked, To each there own. The ever classic situation of someone's word over another. Maybe he did and maybe he didn't , I wasn't there. I would agree to exercise caution upon meting any stranger, regardless of appearance,location or any other factor. I guess I just try and keep an open mind and trust people (with caution of course and to a certain extent ) and was just sharing my experience with this man. I am Not saying the comments stating the offensive gestures and following words are incorrect (once again I wasn't there, who am I to say what happened) but I keep in mind that it isn't to be over looked how easy it is for anyone to say anything. HOBO very well could have also been hiding his true self to me while waiting for a solo female to walk by for all I know...Aggressive towards women or not , In MY personal experience he seemed alright. And if the accounts of offensive encounters and aggressive advances be true , then that is very unfortunate and I agree to it being an issue. Unless someone is clearly a threat,danger,VERY sketchy looking or seemingly over opinionated I usually am not opposed to conversation.
Foraging_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #19
dmartenvt

Safety concerns on trails are vastly different for female hikers, especially those who want to hike alone. In reading this thread, I was hoping to find a number of things about the trail, including its safety, remoteness, beauty, challenge. Counted amongst things that I hope is absent from every thread I ever read - that there's a "hobo" who likes to drink and smoke who everyone thinks is a character except for the woman with whom he became sexually aggressive. Sigh....
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #20
Bark Eater Too

There is an excellent newer initiative for situation awareness and personal safety called "Runsafer". It's widely applicable beyond runners. Highly recommended. They have seminars all over the country and it is free: http://www.runsafer.com/
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote