Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Possible Scenario

What I think is a more pressing problem and one which most people have absolutely no clue about is the precarious position the American dollar is in. Up until about a year ago the world based all of its financial and product trade on the value of the dollar. It still does. However, other countries can see the proverbial handwriting and are changing value instruments to factions other than the US dollar because they see a collapse on the horizon. When the dollar collapses, that is when more big players lose more faith in our dollar, the cow methane is really going to hit the fan.

Any idea why Homeland Security is buying ammunition and preparing detention centers all across the country? There also stockpiling tactical equipment. Folks you had better stock up on toilet paper and tuna and weapons cause when it happens, (and it HAS to happen) you won't like it. We keep printing money that has no value. (abandoned gold standard). We cannot pay the interest to our debt. Forget global warming and plan on a global disaster landing on your doorstep.

Where do you think many will migrate to? That's right! Our precious park.

If and when something like this occurs many people could attempt to "escape" to the ADK's seeking to "survive" the crisis by "starting over" in the wilderness.

Comments?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Glen
Check please

Not an expert on economics here, but for the dollar to be replaced there has to be a better alternative. The Euro? Don't think so. Chinese or Russian currency? Me thinks not. Your doomsday scenario over this seems to be akin to people who built bomb shelters in the 50's. Having said that I've been enjoying your posts lately.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Not an expert on economics here, but for the dollar to be replaced there has to be a better alternative. The Euro? Don't think so. Chinese or Russian currency? Me thinks not. Your doomsday scenario over this seems to be akin to people who built bomb shelters in the 50's. Having said that I've been enjoying your posts lately.
Thanks for your comment Glen. Unfortunately its not just a matter of replacing the dollar with another standard. I know it sounds like a doomsday script from a class B movie but it could possibly happen and would cause chaos and panic. If your money is in a bank forget about getting any of it as the banks would prevent that being afraid that everyone would make a run on it. The stock market would collapse well, I don't want to go through the entire scenario because frankly it sounds incredible. But it has me worried.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Seems to me there was a "Great Depression" and we survived. If the dollar were to collapse, it seems to me it would level the playing field. I have less to lose then the rich. People go to the wilderness to survive? Without computers, cell phones, tablets, electricity, hot water, tv?

On the minute chance that did happen, I personally would be in my element and would have the advantage.

Why is Homeland Security buying ammo and all the other things you mentioned? Probably precautionary measure against what many of the extreme right wingnuts are predicting and the gullibility of most Americans to believe it.

Whether Americans realize it or not, by moving to a global economy it makes sense that the dollar would not be as strong as it has been in the past. America lost it's advantage in manufacturing, and then in service providing quite a while ago. It makes sense that it would now be losing it's advantage financially in a global economy. America needs to prioritize education to be able to compete in a global economy. We've been spoiled for too long, we're now in a position where we have to work to keep up. And we're not in a position to do so.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

I agree, we are all doomed!
I have my secret campsites already picked out.
Good luck finding them.
Can't wait to check up on a few of my "hide outs" this spring now that winter has loosened its grip a bit.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

http://useconomy.about.com/od/critic...r_collapse.htm

Some ideas about a possible dollar collapse.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I agree, we are all doomed!
I have my secret campsites already picked out.
Good luck finding them.
Can't wait to check up on a few of my "hide outs" this spring now that winter has loosened its grip a bit.
I am glad you have these secret places and hope they stay secret but they only really have value to you unless you are hoarding vast amounts of commodities and gold. MRE's and ammunition, wild women and song. Maybe we had better follow Justin and his dog to see which direction he is headed.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"Why is Homeland Security buying ammo and all the other things you mentioned? Probably precautionary measure against what many of the extreme right wingnuts are predicting and the gullibility of most Americans to believe it." - Redhawk

Look up "US Dollar Collapse" on a search engine and notice how many links start with "When" not "If". Some are selling "survival tactics and secrets", some offer advice on how to diversify. Most tell about what might happen.

What could happen is people might panic. Two hundred and forty million desperate people could be dangerous to their own well being. It's this "panic" period which I am concerned about.

People tend to hoard things they don't even need when they panic. Look at your grocers shelves after the news predicts a big 'noreaster' and wonder where all the bread, milk and toilet paper went.

Panic can cause people to do some pretty stupid things. Murphy will follow you everywhere.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 AM   #9
John H Swanson

What you have can always be lost or taken away ... Who you are will always be with you (at least as long as the memory lasts)

Focus on learning and training, not stuff
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
"Why is Homeland Security buying ammo and all the other things you mentioned? Probably precautionary measure against what many of the extreme right wingnuts are predicting and the gullibility of most Americans to believe it." - Redhawk

Look up "US Dollar Collapse" on a search engine and notice how many links start with "When" not "If". Some are selling "survival tactics and secrets", some offer advice on how to diversify. Most tell about what might happen.

What could happen is people might panic. Two hundred and forty million desperate people could be dangerous to their own well being. It's this "panic" period which I am concerned about.

People tend to hoard things they don't even need when they panic. Look at your grocers shelves after the news predicts a big 'noreaster' and wonder where all the bread, milk and toilet paper went.

Panic can cause people to do some pretty stupid things. Murphy will follow you everywhere.
It's a win/win: 240 Million people panicing and maybe killing each other off will be a big step towards slowing down climate change. An epidemic would be even better, but one can't hope for everything.

In the 50's and 60's we were afraid of nuclear holocast and communism. Then we had some flu "epidemics". Now we have terrorists. Unfortunately the human race just keeps on ticking. Sooner or later we'll wipe ourselves out because of greed, arrogance and short sightedness. And it will be a good thing as far as the earth and all other species are concerned.

I look at it philosophically. Once this was a healthy nation of indigenous people. The aliens came and wiped most of them out. Now the same greed that wiped out the indigenous people will wipe out the people responsible. Poetic justice if you ask me.

Son, I've been here too long and seen and heard too much to worry about the collapse of the dollar. In a way I wish it would happen to bring Americans down to earth and wipe out the arrogance.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

That's a lot of strong feelings Redhawk. I'm sorry you feel that way. I agree with you that Native Americans were damn near wiped out through disease and greed of people invading their lands. Also treaties were violated. Even a land treaty set up by George Washington for the Seneca Nation was violated to build a lake that was not needed. Yes, many abuses have occurred and I do not blame you for feeling the way you do. I know there is much resentment even to this day from Native Americans and my heart goes out to them. But wishing annihilation upon others is also not the answer.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Glen has it pretty much pegged. The reason we can keep printing money is that we're the most stable alternative in the world and have a massive, thriving economy. We are also so interconnected that if we fail, the whole world goes with us. If you look at economies that have collapsed or undergone hyperinflation (Brazil, Argentina, post-war Germany) none of them had the industrial base or GDP similar to ours. They collapsed in isolation. We may be in for some bumps in the road and/or a lower standard of living but not a currency collapse.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
redhawk

Quote:
That's a lot of strong feelings Redhawk. I'm sorry you feel that way. I agree with you that Native Americans were damn near wiped out through disease and greed of people invading their lands. Also treaties were violated. Even a land treaty set up by George Washington for the Seneca Nation was violated to build a lake that was not needed. Yes, many abuses have occurred and I do not blame you for feeling the way you do. I know there is much resentment even to this day from Native Americans and my heart goes out to them. But wishing annihilation upon others is also not the answer.
Yopu don't understand. It's not out of any kind of revenge, it's the best thing that could happen as far as the earth and all the other species go.

I just like to point out to people that Americans and America are not holier than thou upstanding citizens they like to make themselves out to be. They have committed unspeakable acts and justified it with things like "Manifest Destiny" and "Christianization".

I for one think that humans are vastly over rated and the most dangerous species on earth. Thousands of other species have been annihilated all for human greed or comfort or out of ignorant fear. Humans have annihilated nations of their own species in the name of progress, or out of hate or ignorance. We use labels to vilify those who do not conform to what we feel is the only way.

When America fought the British army with guerrilla tactics, firing from cover and ambush because we had neither the tacticians, weapons or experience to meet them open the open field of battle we called them heroes. Today when other countries use the same tactics we call them terrorists and cowards.

Americans damn near wiped out the bison as the "final solution" to subjugate the peoples whose lands they wanted. Today they are killing the earth for their own comfort and profit.

So, not feeling bad if they wipe themselves out when considering how beneficial it would be to all other species and to the Mother itself, isn't really wrong.

It has nothing to do with being Indian, it has everything to do with being honest.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 AM   #14
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"It has nothing to do with being Indian, it has everything to do with being honest."

So I guess the term "Honest Injun" doesn't apply here?

Mr. Redhawk, it seems to me that you have your own agenda here whatever that might be. I am not going to pull your soap box from under your moccasins but I do need to move forward with my concerns for my country and its people and their finances.

I believe the collapse has begun and has been orchestrated by our current political regime. Why do they want the dollar to lose its position of being the anchor standard in the world's economy? Well I am not going to explain my theory and go against forum rules by discussing political forays and strategies but it has to do with the plan to have one global currency and economy.

How will the final collapse affect all of us here? We may not have our forum as the government will take over every means of communication under one of its "patriot laws" and under the guise of "protecting us from the crises" we will become a military state. That is why many "survivalists" will flock to the Adirondacks to one of Justin's not so secret places to get away from tyranny. Think it can't happen?

Do you know what the petrodollar is? Since the world currently uses the dollar as it's currency standard anyone must buy US dollars to buy oil. When the oil producing countries start demanding currency from another country, or gold, as the only form of legal tender that they will accept, then the good ole USA will be SOL. Think it can't happen?

China and Japan have bought our debt and loaned us more money than any other countries. Now the only thing that might tempt them to call that debt is their desire to have either the Yuan or Yen become the worlds standard currency. Think it cannot happen?

Many countries see on the horizon that the US dollar eventually will become value-less that they have been investing or should I say divesting in foreign currencies instead of buying the dollar. They have lost confidence in the dollar because our debt has become so high and our ability to even pay the interest is rapidly declining. Social Security and Medicare is broke. The collapse is building like a tsunami and eventually will cause a major world panic which will cause the rest of it to collapse in one mighty thud. Then inflation will double every month. Food prices will skyrocket. Fuel will be $15 per gallon then more. Utilities will go through the roof. Many will go under. Shelves in supermarkets will soon empty and highways will be clogged with folks trying to leave the country as the military will be called to control the riots and collect whatever resources you might have stockpiled. Why do you think they tried to get our guns? Think it can't happen?

While it is admirable to try to save our planet from being polluted and it is fashionable to deny what is happening globally to our economy and say well.... that will never happen, guess what? As death is natures way to tell us to slow down, when the final wave of financial failure strikes our front doors it will be vastly too late.

This is why I am concerned. Do you enjoy the wilderness in our great state? Enjoy it while you can for the hordes of the needy and greedy will descend upon us and make the black flies and deer flies annoyance seem like winning the lottery. Think it cannot happen? It already IS happening.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 AM   #15
cityboy

Quote:
"Mr. Redhawk, it seems to me that you have your own agenda here whatever that might be.

I believe the collapse has begun and has been orchestrated by our current political regime. Why do they want the dollar to lose its position of being the anchor standard in the world's economy? Well I am not going to explain my theory and go against forum rules by discussing political forays and strategies but it has to do with the plan to have one global currency and economy.
EXACTLY. And Global Warming is one way they're trying to do it. I don't know anything about the dollar so I can't contribute much to this discussion but I think Globalization of the workforce is having a harmful impact on the middle class. That plus the demise of unions and the rise of corporations as citizens and the massive amounts of corporate and rich money buying political influence are all contributing to a "historic" wealth gap between the rich and everyone else.
Oh, and don't forget the Supreme Court too. They're obviously slanted towards the rich and corporations.

And I too get the feeling that some people have agendas here. It ranges from the benign "man is bad, everything else is good" to the more ominous "Americans are bad and everyone else is good".

You may be right about the dollar. If you're going to economically attack us that's the way to do it. Perhaps the things I mentioned are just a way of going about it.

Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
backwoodsman

When does the" Swap your guns for Soylent Green" program start?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
EXACTLY. And Global Warming is one way they're trying to do it.
If it's even possible to put this discussion in the context of environmental issues, I will attempt it. With one brief thought.

Consider the possibility that perhaps, just perhaps, global climate change is not a tactic being used by "everyone else" to crush America. Rather, perhaps the global climate change issue as an OPPORTUNITY for America to take a leadership role in a world crisis. An opportunity for America to demonstrate, rather than pontificate, it's strength and character. Perhaps we need to curl our fingers and point them at ourselves when placing blame. The rest of the world will not wait forever.

Much like Hawk, I agree that America has grown "great" by raping and pillaging. Unlike Hawk, I believe that we are still capable of self-reflection, still capable of making the enormous change of course that will be necessary to thrive in harmony with, and on, a planet that we are equally capable of destroying.

We need to let go of our prejudices, let go of our attitude, let go of our denial. We need to confess our sins, then direct our energies towards that new course. We are capable. Will we rise to it? That is the big question. But one thing is certain. Whatever happens, it will be what is deserved.

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Last edited by randomscooter; 04-16-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #18
STONERLAKE

Interesting

DHS is buying ammunition because of a change in the type of ammunition that is going to be used by the agency. There are thousands of agents who shoot and train quarterly and regularly, which requires a huge amount of product. Ridiculous and inefficient but true. And they are not ramping up detention centers. Far from it. In fact, bed space at these "jails" has dwindled down to almost nothing with the last administration. There is nothing nefarious regarding the ammo, believe me, or the everyday employee. DHS employees on the law enforcement side are not the bad guys. Please remember the agency is there to protect the country, not the other way around. I encourage to you browse the website below (and the "investigations' link) to see what the agency deals with and combats every day in regard to a diverse array of complex and often very dangerous investigations. Most people have no idea that DHS combats things such as narcotics, child pornography/exploitation, financial crimes, human trafficking, etc. in addition to the counterterrorism effort.

http://www.ice.gov/
"For me, and for thousands with similar inclinations, the most important passion of life is the overpowering desire to escape periodically from the clutches of mechanistic civilization. To us the enjoyment of solitude, complete independence, and the beauty of undefined panoramas is absolutely essential to happiness." - Bob Marshalll
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
Rusty and the Maniac

You are nuts. Straight-up bat#%^* crazy. This is a forum for people who enjoy hiking, camping, fishing and hunting. Please keep your anti-government, xenophobic opinions off of this site. I believe there are some white supremacy sites out there that would be more in line with your points of view, please feel welcome to go check those out, 'cause I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that this kind of crap isn't what people come to this site for. Sorry mods, couldn't bite my tongue on this anymore, but maybe I shoulda taken the advice of this guy's signature....
Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #20
TCD

[QUOTE=Rusty and the Maniac;216173]...white supremacy... QUOTE]

Ahh. The race card. Could have figured it was coming...mods?
Closed Thread