Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
Devorse Creek Logging Camp, Silver Lake Wilderness 5/2-3/15

1907 Topo:



This old camp and the old road leading to it have been on my radar for a while now,
which can be seen on the 1907 Lake Pleasant, NY Quadrangle (posted above), and
after reading about it in the updated edition of Discover the Southern Adirondacks,
I decided that this past weekend might be good time to visit this remote location
before the bug season starts, which can sometimes make this type of trip a little
less enjoyable.

I began early, arriving at the Groff Creek trailhead a little after 7:00AM on Saturday
morning. I started to drive down the unimproved section of road beyond the snowplow
turn-around, and quickly noticed that the designated campsite along the road was
being occupied. Not wanting to disturb the occupants with my truck so early in the
morning, I thought that it might be best to turn around and park at the end of town
maintenance, and hike the extra mile or so each way, which is what I did. So I
put my dog, Jenny, on her leash and started hiking down the access road.

Unfortunately, my good deed was not rewarded, because as soon as I approached
the campsite, I noticed two loose dogs snooping around, with no sign that their
owners were out of the tent, or even awake so early. Looking back now, I probably
should've made a little noise to announce my presence, but instead I chose to
just quickly try and pass by, figuring everything will be fine as long I have Jenny
on her leash. Not!

Right away, one of the dogs came running over and started to attack Jenny, and
in my haste to break things up, I tripped over a rock and fell flat on my ass!
Thankfully, the dogs' owner came running out of the tent to help, and no
injuries were sustained by any of the parties involved.

After a much more kinder greeting of "Hello, good morning, and sorry for the disturbance",
Jenny & I continued on our way down the road.

Making good time up the first portion of the old road along Groff Creek, we
stopped and descended slightly to take a couple photos of the waterfalls along the creek...






Unlike my visit here last winter, the second waterfall now has some downed trees blocking the view...







Beginning the bushwhack just below the first beaver meadow, I followed the
main branch of Groff Creek upstream, passing a couple more smaller waterfalls
along the way...








Continuing upstream, a few sections of the old road shown on the 1907 map
became evident...









Lots of neat rock ledges & boulders along the steep hillside throughout the
valley....










Approaching the headwaters of Groff Creek:










After over 6 miles of hiking & 'whacking, we arrived on the banks of Devorse
Creek...









Following it upstream, we soon started to see the remnants of man from over
a century ago...






Including the pile of rocks and submerged logs near the old dam site...








....and an old horse drawn tilling plow...





...and an old foundation...






...and the clearing itself along Devorse Creek...











After exploring around the clearing for the better part of an hour, it was time
to head back to our chosen campsite located near the headwaters of Groff Creek,
where it looked liked someone else may have had the same idea once
upon a time, which was right up my alley!






Grilling up some chicken & rice for dinner, while Jenny takes a nap
(she already had her dinner lol)...






And lastly, I can't forget to add the selfie....






There was no need to put up the rainfly on my tent, and even though the
peepers were extremely loud down by the meadow, and an owl was occasionally
hooting right above my tent, and some strange tree squeaking creature that
I have never heard before caught my attention, I slept terrific...Jenny not so
much, as she is still sleeping right next to me as I type this haha.

Another great trip in one of my favorite areas to explore!
Thanks for viewing.

-Justin

Last edited by Justin; 05-05-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Tick Magnet
Member
 
Tick Magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ballston Lake, NY
Posts: 881
Solid!

I'll be up in that neck of the woods tomorrow.
__________________
Tick Magnet
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
adkmoose
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Where The Alders Grow
Posts: 401
Awesome pics and trip report , it looks like a great area.
Jenny looks alot more comfortable in the water than I was in the lake sunday.

Thanks for sharing Justin , you ( and Jenny ) lead a blessed life.
__________________
The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.
adkmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
Thanks guys, my pleasure.
Jenny is comfortable in a mud puddle, being the lab she is, haha.

I forgot to mention that the moon Saturday night was awesome, even though I wasn't awake long enough to fully enjoy it, and I did have a small navigational error, which cost me close to a mile & over 40 minutes of unanticipated exploration of the southeastern slopes of King Vly Mountain, but thankfully I recognized my mistake and was able to correct my course.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
EagleCrag
Member
 
EagleCrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 1,157
As always, nice report Justin. All dogs should envy Jenny!
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
As always, nice report Justin. All dogs should envy Jenny!
Thanks EC!

Yeah, poor Jenny. Being the submissive female omega that she is, she has been attacked several times by other dogs, when all she wants is to be loved.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Zachnaturephotographer
Member
 
Zachnaturephotographer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: western fringe of Tug Hill
Posts: 42
Devorse Creek Logging Camp, Silver Lake Wilderness 5/2-3/15

Thanks for sharing. Looks like paradise for a nature photographer with all of the cascades and cliffs.


www.zacharywakemanphotography.com
Zachnaturephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachnaturephotographer View Post
Thanks for sharing. Looks like paradise for a nature photographer with all of the cascades and cliffs.


www.zacharywakemanphotography.com
My pleasure Zach.
Not to mention paradise for those who enjoy visiting remote territory.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
2017 Bump

Jenny & I went and did this super fun trip again this past weekend...
Lots of shame & agony to whomever took the tilling plow!
https://youtu.be/D1A7x_7RFcQ
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 AM   #10
Tick Magnet
Member
 
Tick Magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ballston Lake, NY
Posts: 881
They took the plow?!?!

People suck!

Say, the video link is showing "content blocked" message.
__________________
Tick Magnet
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #11
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Say, the video link is showing "content blocked" message.
That's what I get for using 30 seconds of a Neil Young song.
I'll have to change it & repost later today.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,750
Another nice report, thanks!
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
RIngFly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 71
Thanks for posting . Looks like a good place to look for some brookies .
RIngFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #14
Adk Keith
Telemarker
 
Adk Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Igerna
Posts: 801
Great report Justin!
__________________
'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
Thanks, gang.
Even though this original TR is almost 2 years old, I was looking forward to sharing the video of my return visit from this past weekend with you all, but unfortunately I have encountered more computer troubles while trying to replace a 30 second "Down by the River" Neil Young jam with a different tune, and now my desktop PC has completely crapped out. Thanks a lot Neil!

Thankfully, those of you that are friends on facebook are able to view the video without being blocked on youtube.

Last edited by Justin; 04-18-2017 at 07:36 PM..
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:21 AM   #16
IndLk_Brett
Member
 
IndLk_Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 189
That's a real shame about the plow. My first thought when I saw the picture which featured it was that it looked like it must have been a beautiful site for a camp for whoever stayed there back then.

Then I thought it would be neat to go see it some day. Too bad.

I can't help but wonder if some random person saw the picture and went in specifically to take it. I sure hope not, but it will definitely make me think harder about what I publicly post.


And PLEASE don't take me saying that the wrong way. I know you are very conscientious about what you do in the Adks and what you put out there. You could never have known or thought someone would do that if that is indeed what actually happened.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:38 AM   #17
serotonin
ember
 
serotonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,068
The Great Omega Dog

Jenny is sweet
She always smiles for the people she meet

On trouble and strife
She has another way of looking at life
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #18
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
I can't help but wonder if some random person saw the picture and went in specifically to take it. I sure hope not, but it definitely make me think a little harder about I publicly post.
Same here.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #19
Hard Scrabble
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
1907 Topo:



This old camp and the old road leading to it have been on my radar for a while now,
which can be seen on the 1907 Lake Pleasant, NY Quadrangle (posted above), and
after reading about it in the updated edition of Discover the Southern Adirondacks,
I decided that this past weekend might be good time to visit this remote location
before the bug season starts, which can sometimes make this type of trip a little
less enjoyable.

I began early, arriving at the Groff Creek trailhead a little after 7:00AM on Saturday
morning. I started to drive down the unimproved section of road beyond the snowplow
turn-around, and quickly noticed that the designated campsite along the road was
being occupied. Not wanting to disturb the occupants with my truck so early in the
morning, I thought that it might be best to turn around and park at the end of town
maintenance, and hike the extra mile or so each way, which is what I did. So I
put my dog, Jenny, on her leash and started hiking down the access road.

Unfortunately, my good deed was not rewarded, because as soon as I approached
the campsite, I noticed two loose dogs snooping around, with no sign that their
owners were out of the tent, or even awake so early. Looking back now, I probably
should've made a little noise to announce my presence, but instead I chose to
just quickly try and pass by, figuring everything will be fine as long I have Jenny
on her leash. Not!

Right away, one of the dogs came running over and started to attack Jenny, and
in my haste to break things up, I tripped over a rock and fell flat on my ass!
Thankfully, the dogs' owner came running out of the tent to help, and no
injuries were sustained by any of the parties involved.

After a much more kinder greeting of "Hello, good morning, and sorry for the disturbance",
Jenny & I continued on our way down the road.

Making good time up the first portion of the old road along Groff Creek, we
stopped and descended slightly to take a couple photos of the waterfalls along the creek...






Unlike my visit here last winter, the second waterfall now has some downed trees blocking the view...







Beginning the bushwhack just below the first beaver meadow, I followed the
main branch of Groff Creek upstream, passing a couple more smaller waterfalls
along the way...








Continuing upstream, a few sections of the old road shown on the 1907 map
became evident...









Lots of neat rock ledges & boulders along the steep hillside throughout the
valley....










Approaching the headwaters of Groff Creek:










After over 6 miles of hiking & 'whacking, we arrived on the banks of Devorse
Creek...









Following it upstream, we soon started to see the remnants of man from over
a century ago...






Including the pile of rocks and submerged logs near the old dam site...








....and an old horse drawn tilling plow...





...and an old foundation...






...and the clearing itself along Devorse Creek...











After exploring around the clearing for the better part of an hour, it was time
to head back to our chosen campsite located near the headwaters of Groff Creek,
where it looked liked someone else may have had the same idea once
upon a time, which was right up my alley!






Grilling up some chicken & rice for dinner, while Jenny takes a nap
(she already had her dinner lol)...






And lastly, I can't forget to add the selfie....






There was no need to put up the rainfly on my tent, and even though the
peepers were extremely loud down by the meadow, and an owl was occasionally
hooting right above my tent, and some strange tree squeaking creature that
I have never heard before caught my attention, I slept terrific...Jenny not so
much, as she is still sleeping right next to me as I type this haha.

Another great trip in one of my favorite areas to explore!
Thanks for viewing.

-Justin
Nice photos, Justin. Thanks.
I cut my deer hunting teeth on Devores Mountain near the confluence of the West Branch
The old plow caught my attention.
Jim.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #20
jburn
Member
 
jburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 31
Nice report, looking forward to the vid. I love that area. I love nature but enjoy technology as well, do you recommend a good GPS app? I used to have a very submissive female Newfie mix, I know how it is...
jburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.