Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Rivet
Likes to hike

Spruce mtn (east side of Lake George) 1/1/16

I had been eyeing this small peak on the east side of Lake George for a while. Much of the mountain is state land, but it is surrounded by private property. I recently found a way to access it (from the geocaching web site of all places). Drove on unpaved part of North road past Military road to end of the plowed portion. There was a pull-off here for a few cars to park. I continued walking along north road for about five minutes. Then I came up the start of the trail. It was initially marked with red discs, then small rock cairns. There were also some nice home-made signs along the route. At one point, I lost the trail for a while, but then picked it up again where it was now marked with yellow discs. Further up, the trail reaches the state land and after that it is marked with white paint. There was a false peak to go over and then the final climb to the summit. There were great views to the west and south. Luckily, the sun broke out for a bit on this otherwise cloudy day. The summit also had remains of an old airway beacon. On the return, I took a different route at the bottom (marked with yellow discs) which leads further down north road and the start of the trail up Hogback. Didn't have time to climb Hogback, so I just returned to the car. There were only a couple inches of snow in the woods with a weak icy crust on top - in other words I broke through with almost every step. Bare-booted on the way up, but more my micro-spikes on the return. This was a fun little hike, and a great way to start the new year.

some pictures
Old 01-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
tgoodwin

If the "home-made" signs look familiar, it's because they have almost surely been made by the same person, Richard Phillips, who made the signs for the SOA trails around Lake Placid. He also owns the private land at the start of the trail, and his trail work is further recognized with the trail between Thomas and Cat mts. that is named for him.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
Telemarkmike

Thanks for the TR. This sounds great. It's on my short list now!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
mt.runner
always outside

Anyone see the sign on the top that says "Lake Trail 2.8 Miles"? It heads north and is also blazed white. Wondering where it ends up? Beautiful day up there today!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.runner View Post
Anyone see the sign on the top that says "Lake Trail 2.8 Miles"? It heads north and is also blazed white. Wondering where it ends up? Beautiful day up there today!
I did not. I was there last Sunday. You probably saw my tracks in the snow. Was the sign near the remains of the airway beacon?

Below is the view I had... and it was forecast to be a mostly cloudy day with flurries!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
mt.runner
always outside

Sign was just below the airway beacon.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Wonder if it leads to the parcel of state land along the east shore just north of Bluff Head?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
mt.runner
always outside

Quote:
Sign was just below the airway beacon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
Wonder if it leads to the parcel of state land along the east shore just north of Bluff Head?
I'm planning to go back and see....Didn't have enough time yesterday.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Buckladd

Quote:
I recently found a way to access it (from the geocaching web site of all places). Drove on unpaved part of North road past Military road to end of the plowed portion. There was a pull-off here for a few cars to park. I continued walking along north road for about five minutes. Then I came up the start of the trail.

some pictures
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/103635.html

Note that the trail is closed every year during big game hunting seasons (late Oct. through early Dec.)
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
mt.runner
always outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/103635.html

Note that the trail is closed every year during big game hunting seasons (late Oct. through early Dec.)
Different Spruce Mt....
This one is east side of Lake George.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
Buckladd

Quote:
Different Spruce Mt....
This one is east side of Lake George.
OK, up in Dresden/Putnam. My bad!

I should've looked closer at the original post and the photo and realized that was LG and not the Sacandaga!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #12
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Quote:
I went back today and did a big hike in the area to further check it out. First I went up Hogback Mountain, following the white paint blazes. I lost them twice, but refound them both times. From the summit you can't really see Lake George, but you get a nice view of Sugarloaf Mtn.

I went back down Hogback, then took the yellow disc trail up towards Spruce. Next I followed the white paint blazes to Spruce Mountain (same trip I did last weekend). At the summit I continued north following the white paint blazes, hoping to see where the 2.8 mile trail to the Lake Road ended up.

It terminates on the old abandoned lake road near the shore of Lake George near Odell Island. Just slighy south of east from Odell. There were also two short spur trails (0.15 miles each) of the white trail, in blue paint blaze, that led to ledges with views.

Blog report tomorrow...
Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #13
mt.runner
always outside

Thanks for checking it out...
Waiting on your full report!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Thanks for checking it out...
Waiting on your full report!
Here is the link to the full report:

http://www.offonadventure.com/2016/0...-mountain.html
Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #15
mt.runner
always outside

Thanks Mike,
I'm looking forward to going back there after reading your report. Planning to head down the north side and check out the lake road...
Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #16
The Commodore

Spruce Mt. - Trip Report 5/24/17
(2 hours up, 1.5 hours down, summit 1,982’)

Thankfully not advertised at all, this hike affords a spectacular view of Lake George’s Narrows, Hulett’s Landing, Black Mt (2,692’), and Sugarloaf (1,990’). On a clear day, see well into the Adirondacks, and the Green Mountains. No views of the northern end of the lake.

Respect the trail. Private land from North Road all the way up to the Ledges, owner is gracious to permit pass-through hiking on red & yellow trails. He has also posted helpful signs. NYS protected forest up the white blaze trail to summit. Easy to lose trail, so take care to spot next marker. Not much footpath, just markers. Sturdy shoes recommended.

From Route 22 in Dresden, drive west on North Road. Follow uphill to the T, then turn right onto dirt roads. Do not go up the Military Rd, but stay to left. Follow up a rocky dirt road. Just past the last dwelling on left is a snowplow turnabout, and space to leave a car or two. We left a “2 hikers up Spruce Mt & date” note on our dash.

Continue walking down road. A red “Schoolhouse of the High Mountains” on the right has a trail behind it marked with purple disks, just past a marsh. Plunge north into woods, and find the red disk trail. Take this west toward lake. It will meet yellow trail.

Yellow trail east and up the mountain. Aggressively steep at the Ledges. Find a signpost atop the ledges. Spruce Mt is to the north (left). Follow white blazes on trees, a handful of cairns, a few helpful red ribbons on trees. At one point, you’ll head back down through a ravine between hills, over creek, and back up Spruce Mt.

Several great lookouts on way to top. Summit has a wide open rocky porch. Behind the lookout, we found a metal frame and box with rusted electronics inside. The old “air beacon” published on the USGS Survey map?

(Thanks folks! We found notes in this thread useful. Still made mistake of driving up Military Road... oops!) Is there a trail off the backside, back to Military Road? We did see snowmobile treads, perhaps at summit from a pink ribboned wider trail going north.
The Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote