Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
mulveyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
2016 Black Fly challenge

Anyone planning on riding it this year? This will be my third time out; my 14-year-old went with me in 2015 and beat me by 15 minutes, so I clearly need to train some more lest he think I'm getting old. :-)
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Creekwader
Snag Locator
 
Creekwader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Place of the Nettles
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
Anyone planning on riding it this year? This will be my third time out; my 14-year-old went with me in 2015 and beat me by 15 minutes, so I clearly need to train some more lest he think I'm getting old. :-)
I'm in, first time was last year and enjoyed it. I'm thinking this years Inlet to Indian lake leg is going to be significantly easier.
Creekwader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
ask0329
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
I'm in for my first time ever this year. My cousin is attempting it as well for the first time. My brother is in the process of bike shopping and he may give it a go. Really excited about this.

We're in the process of evaluating our tire or should I say tyre situation right now. we just ordered a set of Schwable hurricane tires to test them out localy. Fairly smooth up the middle with knobs on the outter edges. they have a good durability rating and above average rolling rate. We'll have 29's on so hopefully that will help out in gaining a bit more top end speed.

Anyone have any other tips or suggestions feel free to pass them along to some first times. I watched a few videos and seen allot of folks with the water bladder backpacks. Is this a common practice? I think if your looking for speed and to place well this would cut down on the water stops.

Last edited by ask0329; 04-06-2016 at 02:34 PM..
ask0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
mulveyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
I'm in, first time was last year and enjoyed it. I'm thinking this years Inlet to Indian lake leg is going to be significantly easier.
I've done it both directions, and they each have their advantages. I found the Inlet to Indian Lake direction initially tougher because you're only just starting when you have the sequence of steep climbs after entering the MRP--not a lot of time to warm up. On the other hand, the last 20 miles are pretty much almost all downhill going into IL ( mostly fairly gradual ), so that's pretty nice if you're tired. :-)

I wouldn't say either way is significantly easier than the other, but it's fun no matter which end you start at. :-)
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
mulveyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask0329 View Post
I'm in for my first time ever this year. My cousin is attempting it as well for the first time. My brother is in the process of bike shopping and he may give it a go. Really excited about this.

We're in the process of evaluating our tire or should I say tyre situation right now. we just ordered a set of Schwable hurricane tires to test them out localy. Fairly smooth up the middle with knobs on the outter edges. they have a good durability rating and above average rolling rate. We'll have 29's on so hopefully that will help out in gaining a bit more top end speed.

Anyone have any other tips or suggestions feel free to pass them along to some first times. I watched a few videos and seen allot of folks with the water bladder backpacks. Is this a common practice? I think if your looking for speed and to place well this would cut down on the water stops.
Almost nobody stops for water--you'll just slow down and grab the bottles as you go through the feed zones.

I run the race on 42mm road tires, and they're absolutely fine for when the MRP road is damp or dry. If it's a wet spring, I have a set of Rock 'N Roads that will be used. The fastest riders have been using cross style tires, so not a whole lot of tread required--it is 25% pavement and the rest firm dirt and gravel, after all.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
hillman1
skiing demi-god
 
hillman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oswego ny on the river
Posts: 554
I'm in for my 5th year. Love this ride.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder
 
Schultzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 682
Love that trail.
But endurance is the key.
__________________
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.
Schultzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Kyler
Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 287
My wife and I are in for the first time. I rode from Old Forge to Indian Lake in 2005, through the plains, but I don't remember any specifics. We're looking forward to it.
__________________
ADKHP Wiki
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
ask0329
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Just 6 days away. Cant wait to bike through the land I love.
ask0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
mulveyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
Anyone been out on the MRP and can speak as to the condition of the road? It's been in excellent shape the past two years, so I'm hoping the trend continues for 2016.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
mulveyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
Another one in the books!

In spite of a start that can be most charitably described as "really wet", it was a fun ride. Things cleared up enough after about an hour that the occasional drizzle for the rest of the ride was just enough to keep things cool, not unpleasant.

I was a little concerned about using my slicks on the softened road, but the worked fine everywhere except for one descent on the back side of Wakely where I slide sideways across the entire road.

How was everyone's ride?
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
BigRange
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 43
My first BFC and my very first bike race ever! Yea, it was wet and rather soft but I had a ball. Gotta get in better shape for the next one though.
BigRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #13
JimB
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: cincinnatus,NY
Posts: 150
I did it for the 7th time, including the very first one 21 years ago. It was discouraging standing in the pouring rain at the start but , once we got going, I had on just the right gear other than some long fingered gloves. My back got hurting towards the end and I finished in 3:07, pretty good for me with the soft sand. I saw our own Kyler and Hillman during the day.
__________________
I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
Creekwader
Snag Locator
 
Creekwader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Place of the Nettles
Posts: 843
Other than a sand seized front derailleur for the trip up wilson ridge, fogged up glasses, and occasional rain/sweat in the eyes...it was a good race! Sounds like a bad accident on the Red River bridge, hope everyone was OK.
Creekwader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #15
mulveyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I did it for the 7th time, including the very first one 21 years ago. It was discouraging standing in the pouring rain at the start but , once we got going, I had on just the right gear other than some long fingered gloves. My back got hurting towards the end and I finished in 3:07, pretty good for me with the soft sand. I saw our own Kyler and Hillman during the day.
Excellent! I must have been just a little ahead; I was at 3:06.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
mulveyr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Other than a sand seized front derailleur for the trip up wilson ridge, fogged up glasses, and occasional rain/sweat in the eyes...it was a good race! Sounds like a bad accident on the Red River bridge, hope everyone was OK.
Yeah, I removed my glasses at the top of Wakely, since they were just all fogged up anyhow.

I hadn't heard/seen anything about an accident at the Red River. Ouch.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #17
Creekwader
Snag Locator
 
Creekwader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Place of the Nettles
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
Yeah, I removed my glasses at the top of Wakely, since they were just all fogged up anyhow.

I hadn't heard/seen anything about an accident at the Red River. Ouch.
When I went through there, a couple guys were yelling at everyone to slow down because the planks were slick. At the end I heard a guy who finished ahead of me talking about how a guy went across the wooden planks too fast and wiped out which caused a guy behind him to also go down. That's all I heard.
Creekwader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #18
ask0329
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
I finished in 4 hours for my first attempt ever. It was one heck of an adventure. I need to be in way better shape if I'm going to do it again next year. My arms and shoulders got to hurting so bad I didn't think they would hold me up much longer. I blew up my front derailer with about 12 miles to go and had limited gears from there on out. Thing was loud as all heck. Passed out on the truck ride down to Forestport and went to the Buffalohead for dinner afterwords. Ate about everything on the menu. The southern Tier IPA's were cold, delicious and well deserved. After that it was back to camp and a nice hot campfire. Although by then the temp had gone up nearly 20 degrees from race time.
ask0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
Kyler
Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Elizabethtown
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
When I went through there, a couple guys were yelling at everyone to slow down because the planks were slick. At the end I heard a guy who finished ahead of me talking about how a guy went across the wooden planks too fast and wiped out which caused a guy behind him to also go down. That's all I heard.
One of my friends went through just after it happened and said one guy hit his head and had a good amount of blood running down his face. We didn't hear anything after the race about the guy's injuries.
__________________
ADKHP Wiki
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #20
1bluefin
Member
 
1bluefin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Johnstown, N.Y.
Posts: 51
2017 Black Fly Challenge

Hi all, anybody training for this years event? I have never done this but have an interest in trying it. This year Indian to Inlet. Please chime in if you plan to
participate.
__________________
~ADK's UPHILL ON THE WAY IN & UPHILL ON THE WAY OUT~
1bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.