Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #41
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsbud View Post
s I unzipped the tent and grabbed my machete and flashed my headlamp at the offending party, 15' away at my eye level were a multitude of sets of glowing eyes staring back at me. I stopped counting after 10 sets of eyes and can only assume there were at least a dozen shoulder to shoulder. I have also been followed by groups of 3 or 4 on early mornings walks placing clients in treestands during deer season on occasion.
Perhaps it was a fluke but I'll never forget that night with local coyotes of East Stoney Creek on Mothers Day 1986.
Great story! what I find fascinating with the coyote hybrids in the ADKs is that given they are hybridized to the extent they are, I am not sure we can go on what is known about either wolf or coyote behavior. These kind of observations are very worthwhile, in that they are from people who know an area and come upon the unexpected. Coyotes give birth to larger litters at times (particularly when they are under pressure from hunting, trapping, etc). in addition, coyote packs may lose parents. So how do we know how they react in these cases? And the fact they often take white tail deer - could this mean more than one family group might cooperatively hunt at times?

Morley Fowat wrote some amazing things about wolves visiting one another from long distances, at a time it was though the packs would aggressively defend their territories against any other wolves. Except - they welcomed friendly visitors from other packs during his observations, and greeted them like long lost family members.

I believe what we think we know, and what we do observe, are often divergent. This new hybrid that has this ecological niche once filled by wolves is fascinating, because their behaviors are probably not set in stone, and we have the opportunity to watch a species evolve and change within a forest that is largely in a stage of re-growth, in which the population of many species have undergone radical change. We have mayhem in the woods from an ecological perspective, and that is fascinating!
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:03 AM   #42
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
There seems to be a hysteria amongst greenhorns and old soldiers alike in regards to the animals that make our great forest, wild. IMO the fear is irrational. I could be wrong and next week you could read about a coyote pack dying from obesity after eating a fat ass like me.
Even my closest companions who have extensive time in the woods are intimidated by the coyote, not to mention the bear.
All I can say is I would have no problem camping under the stars, without tent, without fire, and without weapon and sleep like a baby. The only place I wouldn't be comfortable is a popular campground.
It is okay to be fearful but try not to spread said fear. There are plenty of dangers out there but most are caused by us by being inattentive, stupid, or just plain unlucky.
Be careful out there and enjoy the woods.
While I don't think any of the posters expressed fear - I'd agree. I have had to talk people off the ledge over possums (seriously - spot an opossum and my neighborhood is terrified, skunks, snakes, bears, porcupines, mice, fisher and the dreaded coyote - which they usually call coydogs All seem to induce fear in people!) My mother is convinced I am going to be killed by a "big cat" in the ADKs, she's become obsessed with this idea. The only thing I'm intimidated by is coming across humans. I'm going to avoid a bear if I can, mainly because I don't want to share my food and I've had enough experience with my own idiot dogs to know they will act like brutes if they think they can bully anyone out of food. I'd avoid moose too, after all the warnings I received in Alaska. Oddly, people seem to think moose are quite docile, and they aren't high on the fear inducing list, which is fine before they try to trample you, at least according to my friends in Alaska.

But my experience is that most animals are all about avoiding me before I avoid them, except the damn black flies, deer flies, and mosquitos.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote