Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
bioguide

Firewood: outside the blue line

I know this is "outside" of the forum but I have a question. Moderators feel free to delete this if necessary.

First some background: I burn wood in my home as a secondary heat source mainly to keep the den and living rooms warm/cozy. I burn in a fire place and a wood stove. I've been burning wood for 30 plus years. I always have my wood delivered in the spring so it dries over the summer. I built a storage area that will hold 4 cords of wood and I'll burn about 2 full cords a year (so I rotate the stock). I've always had my wood cut, split, and delivered and I stack it myself. I recently had to obtain wood from a new "reputable" fire wood dealer however my orders have been short and at $300/cord I expect to get my full order. This last order of 2 cords was short just over 1 face cord! I'm not getting very good responses from the dealer on this issue either; actually they have gone as far as to suggest that I might have stashed away some wood to make it look short! It seems like fire wood dealers are like...well the proverbial used car dealer.

While I'll won't be ordering any more wood until next spring does anyone have any recommendations on firewood dealers in the Schenectady area that they can recommend?

Thanks for listening (reading)...
Old 06-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

Maybe look at logging companies with local references and see about getting a 1/2 or full load of logs delivered ? Been a few years , but i got a 1/2 load delivered that worked out to a little over 13 face cords when all cut / split / and stacked. 300 $ if I recall correctly. A lot more work but with some ambitious help it is not a bad deal , at least for me at camp.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
I know this is "outside" of the forum but I have a question. Moderators feel free to delete this if necessary.

First some background: I burn wood in my home as a secondary heat source mainly to keep the den and living rooms warm/cozy. I burn in a fire place and a wood stove. I've been burning wood for 30 plus years. I always have my wood delivered in the spring so it dries over the summer. I built a storage area that will hold 4 cords of wood and I'll burn about 2 full cords a year (so I rotate the stock). I've always had my wood cut, split, and delivered and I stack it myself. I recently had to obtain wood from a new "reputable" fire wood dealer however my orders have been short and at $300/cord I expect to get my full order. This last order of 2 cords was short just over 1 face cord! I'm not getting very good responses from the dealer on this issue either; actually they have gone as far as to suggest that I might have stashed away some wood to make it look short! It seems like fire wood dealers are like...well the proverbial used car deale

While I'll won't be ordering any more wood until next spring does anyone have any recommendations on firewood dealers in the Schenectady area that they can recommend?

Thanks for listening (reading)...
Guy Edwards in Edinburg sells firewood by the truck load.
Maple Hill Farms.
I'm not sure if he would deliver to Niskayuna, but it's worth a try.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Probably worth pointing out that in NYS firewood cannot be transported more than 49 miles from point where felled, due to emerald ash borer.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
TCD

I think they're OK on this part - Edinburg to Niskayuna looks like about 45 road miles.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

There's a guy on Consaul Rd across from Midway Fire Dept. that sells wood, and another on Ferris Rd off Consaul across from Avon Crest. Sorry no numbers or any other info I can pass along, but surely a visit wouldn't hurt.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
LongLaker

There's a farm on Grooms Road in Rexford/Clifton Park that has split wood. Between Vischer Ferry Rd. and Miller Rd - across from the fire station.
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
JerseyHighlander

From my experience these past few years, before I felled/bucked/split all my own, equating them with used car salesmen is giving them too much credit. The industry is regulated by the USDA and what makes up a cord of wood is actually strictly defined & regulated. So first report the weasel. After that, make sure the next guy knows from the first phone call that you understand exactly what a cord is and expect to get a full cord/cords.

Try looking for a referral here. http://www.hearth.com/talk/ & here http://www.arboristsite.com/community/
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
Wldrns

I burn about 10 face cord per year, sometimes in colder winters as much as 12 FC to heat my whole house. For a long time I paid $30/FC. but now it is up to around $50/FC here on the western side of the Adirondacks. Before that I felled, cut and split my own firewood each year, but it was a heck of a lot of work even though a farmer neighbor let me cull trees for free. I think I figured that I handled or moved the wood 7-9 times before it went into my stove. I finally decided that my time and sweat could be better spent canoeing or hiking, so now I order local wood from a nearby lumber working family where a couple of young boys do all the work to get the split chunks delivered to me so I can stack it. good for them and good for me.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-27-2016 at 07:57 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #10
geogymn

Fuel wood has a tendency of warming you several times before you burn it.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Fuel wood has a tendency of warming you several times before you burn it.
That's what my Grandfather used to say. Thanks for the memory.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:35 PM   #12
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Here in SE NewEngland its about 200 for "semi-seasoned" which is, of course, green. That's a summer price. Most delivery guys are decent, I bought 3 cords and ended up probably 20 cu.ft. short - and I'm not convinced that its NOT my stacking technique.

Curious why you guys measure it all in face cords?
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
Here in SE NewEngland its about 200 for "semi-seasoned" which is, of course, green. That's a summer price. Most delivery guys are decent, I bought 3 cords and ended up probably 20 cu.ft. short - and I'm not convinced that its NOT my stacking technique.

Curious why you guys measure it all in face cords?
Some people buy beer by the six pack and others by the case.

Some people don't have the storage space.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Face cords are a NY thing. I do not like them myself, but when in Rome... I cut all of our firewood for the year from here on the farm, about 22-23 standard cords or 60+/- face cords, but I don't have to buy or sell, I just have to fill up the shed.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #15
forgedin78

23 cord!!!!!!!! Wow! Must be a big house, or very little insulation, or both, haha.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #16
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
23 cord!!!!!!!! Wow! Must be a big house, or very little insulation, or both, haha.
I'm guessing it's not all for one year. Most people try to be 2-3 years ahead of the curve, that way everything is well dried before burning.

You also have to take the kind of wood into consideration. 22 Cords of Spruce or Pine or Poplar is about the same as 11 cords of White Oak or Hickory in heat output.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #17
Zach

It's a converted barn, about 36x80 footprint, 3 floors and not insulated as well as it might have been, though we have done some work on that. Also we burn wood all summer for domestic hot water. Wood is our only source of space heat or hot water. The main woodshed holds 17 standard cords and that is all heavier hardwoods; elm, hickory, white ash, and sugar and red maple, along with some red maple and willow that are lower BTU. The other 5-6 cords are "summer" wood which is red pine and aspen, or sometimes other softwood species. We have a sawmill so a lot of our wood comes from slabs and tops and that saves on splitting. Sometimes someone will bring me a log to cut and they don't want the slabs. It's a bonus to have wood that didn't come off the place here. I fill the main shed in March or April depending when the snow melts and we start burning it in October or November. Summer wood gets filled as soon as it's empty, and it goes in a couple of different spots so the supply can be rotated. I also have a couple of cords of reserve wood out in the new barn after we ended up running out of good wood in the main shed a couple of years ago, though I haven't needed it since I cut it.
Zach
Old 10-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
Hard Scrabble

The standard full cord is a pile of wood with pieces four feet long, piled four feet high and eight feet in length.
The stove cord can be anything from pieces twelve inches to eighteen.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #19
Wldrns

I know what a standard cord is, but it is meaningless to me if my residental stove can only handle pieces no longer than 16-18 inches, hence I measure and buy wood for my burn by the ''face" cord, 1/3 of of standard cord.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #20
Zach

My understanding is that a standard firewood cord refers to the amount of wood that will fit neatly stacked in a 4x4x8 area, whether it is cut to 4' pulp cordwood length or shorter. Growing up in Maine we had a Fisher stove that burned up to 24" lengths if I recall correctly, so my parents would order 2 or 3 cords of wood a year cut to 24" or a bit shorter, and sometimes there would be problems with too many pieces that were overlength. For the first 11 years here at the farm we had a TARM indoor boiler that only fit up to 20" lengths but when it rusted through 4 years ago we bought a Wood Gun that takes up to 30" lengths. I also have to put in about 3/4 of a cord of 12" long wood in the little sugar house that I built for our little evaporator. I don't always get my lengths as accurate as I would like to, but it gets a little better over time.
Zach