Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Thruhike duration?

I know the answer is "it depends", but I'll ask anyway.

Looking at the NPT site trying to plan a little, it looks like you can do it in 8 days/7 nights, if you camp at established sites every 17-19 miles, with the 8th day ending in LP.

I'm considering late-ish September, which will cut short the daylight hours a little, but also skip the bugs and heat.

Is this a legit schedule? Again, I'm in the early stages of the plan, but it doesn't look like it's a lot of "mountain" climbing, just hiking.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
TCD

You are right; just hiking. The only significant climb, and it is not really very long, is over the ridge north of Tirrell Pond. So 8 days is very reasonable.

The record is less than two days; folks who really take their time plan on 2 weeks. When my wife and I through hiked in 2007, we took 8 days, same as you are planning. That was not bad at all. We didn't spread the mileage evenly, because we knew in advance that we wanted to spend more time in he very nice Cold River section. So going from S to N we did some long days up front in order to have time to spend near the Cold River. (The southern sections were a little boring to me, so long fast walks were good.) But an even spread over 8 days should be fine!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Good to hear, I'm worried about blisters on the long walk with a heavy pack (http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...tside-of-heels) but after a few days the heavy food will be gone at least.

I'd take longer, but I doubt I have that much time. I just pulled 80 miles in 3.5 days for the same reason (http://faint-traces.blogspot.com/201...uth-trail.html).
Old 07-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
jmitch

That's a good schedule. While the trail only has one significant climb, don't be fooled, it is quite hilly in a couple places.
jmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
That's a good schedule. While the trail only has one significant climb, don't be fooled, it is quite hilly in a couple places.
I'm sure. I'm hoping it's less like the Great Range and more like the hike in to Avalanche. Do you know if the guidebook contains maps/profiles? The NatGeo map looks like the scale must be too small to be useful.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I did it in 7 days, so an average of 17 miles per day. I did 70 miles in the first 3 days, and then I slowed down considerably for the next 4- not due to physical fatigue or injury, but rather because the weather took a considerable turn for the worse, and because there were a few spots (lean-tos) I wanted to camp at specifically.

Like jmitch states, there is only the 1 big climb, but there are hills in other places where the trail meanders up and down and the elevation gains and losses can add up over longer distances. If you're in decent hiking shape, I wouldn't be super concerned, however.

So it's definitely doable- but I wouldn't attempt to hike the trail this quickly unless I was 100% confident I could do so. Average pace for the entire trail is much longer- anywhere from 10 to 14 days, with 12 days probably being typical for most backpackers. If you didn't encounter any serious issues on you 80 mile hike in 3.5 days, though, then I would say go for this. Just have a backup plan in mind just in case you run into any issues.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I ran into some blister issues on the previous hike, but part of that was the 85 degree heat and the (literally) miles of asphalt road walking. No exertion problems, cramps, etc.

I'm used to walking all day, mentally at least, if not physically, and I'm not a "campfire" guy. If you average 11-12 miles a day on flattish terrain (yes with the 1 big climb), this might come across as a dumb question, but what do you _do_ for the rest of the time?
Old 07-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
Schip

The rest of the time

but what do you _do_ for the rest of the time?[/QUOTE]

Take notes so you can write a killer TR for this forum.:-)
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

For some people, 10-12 miles with a full pack is a full day of hiking.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Hey, I resemble that! If you can, take your time. There are some great places on the NP that you will want to take some time and enjoy.

I once ran into a guy who did the trail in 5 days. I realize that he was on a limited schedule, but he didn't stop to see what he was seeing. I wonder if he will ever have the chance to do it again?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

"if you can" - and that's the rub. I'm 5+ hours away, and don't get infinite vacation, I need to be mindful of my time.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Is the "Adirondack Trails Northville Placid Trail, 4th Edition" by Jeffrey and Donna Case a good/sufficient guide?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
Is the "Adirondack Trails Northville Placid Trail, 4th Edition" by Jeffrey and Donna Case a good/sufficient guide?
Generally, yes, it should be fine. A couple of things to be aware of, though, which may necessitate additional research on your part:

I can't remember if it has the Wakely to Stephens Pond re-route or not. If it doesn't, you'll want to get some information on the new route.

It definitely doesn't have any of the new re-routes at the southern end. Make sure you're aware of the Woods Lake re-route and the new Shaker Mountain Wild Forest section (combined, they add 10+ miles to the required distance for a thru-hike).
Old 08-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #14
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Is that the 122->136 mile delta then?

Also, if this was the first week of October, have I missed the foliage and will I be left with just the yellows and browns?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Now I feel like a big wuss.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #16
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Reading that the first 10+ miles are a roadwalk is almost enough to put me off the trip.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #17
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
I'm used to walking all day, mentally at least, if not physically, and I'm not a "campfire" guy. If you average 11-12 miles a day on flattish terrain (yes with the 1 big climb), this might come across as a dumb question, but what do you _do_ for the rest of the time?
I'm sure some people here would answer "Fish" but my answer would probably be "sit in my hammock with my book."
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #18
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Quote:
Generally, yes, it should be fine. A couple of things to be aware of, though, which may necessitate additional research on your part:
Following up on this, it does have the reroutes on the map and notes about "sometime in 2015 or 2016", but doesn't have trail descriptions.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:20 AM   #19
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Trail descriptions including the new section can be found here: http://www.nptrail.org

The new sections eliminated a significant portion of the roadwalks.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Reading that the first 10+ miles are a roadwalk is almost enough to put me off the trip.
As DuctTape stated, the new re-routes have eliminated much of the road walking. In any case, the road-walking sections at the beginning and end of the trail were never required for a "certified" thru-hike, and most people skipped them.