Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
srb0419

XC Ski Recommendations

This upcoming winter I am looking to get into XC skiing and snow shoeing. Last winter I purchased microspikes and have enjoyed using those. I am very active and would like to enjoy the winter as opposed to dread it from on my couch.

I'm looking to purchase XC Skis and Snowshoes. I want them to be high quality, but due to my novice status I'd preferably like to buy them used and was curious which brands are good and which aren't as well as sizing. I am 6'2 185lbs. I do want to buy used because I find it will be better value, but more important is buying something that is very good but will last for awhile.

Thanks

RJ
srb0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
bioguide

Not to distract from this form at all as I'm sure you will have several respondents but there is a wealth of information on this forum you may find useful: http://wintertrekking.com/
There are sections on Backcountry Skiing and Snowshoeing and the forum has many threads discussing the variety and options of skis' and snowshoe's that are available to choose from.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
MTVhike

If you're in the Lake Placid area, I suggest you check out the Cascade XC Ski Center. They sell new and used skis, and will let you try them out on their property (for free). You can also rent them for the day and they will apply the rental to the purchase price. We got our skis and used them on the Jackrabbit Trail before deciding on them. They are Karhus with metal edges. We opted for the NNNBC bindings, but others might choose 3-pins.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
srb0419

Thanks for the suggestions, that website looks very resourceful. I'll be sure to swing by there next time I am up there, thank you.
srb0419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
crkmeup

You can also take a look at www.winterschool.org Our group is the longest running winter school in the United States and directly affiliated with the ADK.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

I have skiied for 12 years. I would highly recommend Hugh Quinn out of Camden NY at Osceola ski center. He is THE BEST (The ski center there is the best as well). Support this small local business. He has really reasonable prices and usually knocks the cost down.

Another recommendation is High Peaks in Lake Placid. They know their stuff!
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote