Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
tenderfoot

Out and back section hiking

So the arrangements of rides seems to be challenging. A commercial provider is available but I'd rather invest in gear than that fee they are charging.

Anyone do NPT as out and back? Park car, hike section, set up camp and spend the night, turn around and return to car?

Seems counter productive; but heck who is worried about productivity while hiking - still a walk in the woods.

Not sure what I am asking here, just curious if others have done this. I regularly return to trail head on same trail I climb a peak on so not really much different.

Could purchase two trail patches when done to make myself feel better...

Last edited by tenderfoot; 09-14-2016 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: added overnight bit
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Justin

Yeah I've done several short sections as an out & back. I'm sure others do as well. Plenty of sections to choose from...Silver Lake Wilderness, Piseco to Spruce Lake, West Canadas, Wakley Pond to Stephens Pond, Tirrell Pond from Lake Durant, Long Lake all come to mind. Many of these areas are also a lot of fun to take your time & explore once you get off the main trail, especially if you like to bushwhack.

Last edited by Justin; 09-14-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Absolutely. There are other options as well, to do small loops which use part of the npt as a means to hike those sections.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Out and back section hiking

That is how we did the CL50.We did two overnights,one at High Falls and the other at Irish Pond. Really got to know the trail and environs well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
sagatlin

Tenderfoot- What commercial provider have you found? I am trying for a through hike next week early...
sagatlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
tenderfoot

This is the commercial provider I was referencing:
http://www.broadwingadventures.com/t...-shuttles.html

I have no experience / connection with them. Not knocking the service but for me I'd rather do an out and back and invest the $100+ in gear to make the experience more enjoyable.