Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
Jsullivan524
James Sullivan

Someone graffiti a tree

On Saturday 9/24/2016 three of my volunteers drove into Hudson River Special Management Area (Buttermilk/Bearslides) in Lake Luzerne and spotted two trees painted in orange one tree had a happy face and said Welcome. While one of my volunteers were taken a picture of the tree someone came down from campsite ask my volunteer what happened? they inform my volunteer hours of the night trucks were driving up and down the road, they inform my volunteer that someone painted graffiti on a out house, My three volunteers drove up road and saw rugs on the ground that someone left near the bear slides.

We have spent three years trying keep this area clean and educating the public to keep it clean for the next visitors and even the next generation. labor day weekend I spent my camping trip picking up litter, tube someone left in a parking lot near campsite 10 and than couple weeks later this happened someone painted graffiti on trees and out house.

If you ever see something or see person doing something they should not be doing please call NYS Forest Ranger Dispatch 24/7 and I am sorry for my poor spelling.

Volunteer Steward for Hudson River Special Management Area/ Lake George Wild Forest (AKA Buttermilk and the bear slides) 71,133 acres of State Forest Preserve lands in the southeastern Adirondacks
Jsullivan524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsullivan524 View Post
On Saturday 9/24/2016 three of my volunteers drove into Hudson River Special Management Area (Buttermilk/Bearslides) in Lake Luzerne and spotted two trees painted in orange one tree had a happy face and said Welcome.

We have spent three years trying keep this area clean and educating the public to keep it clean for the next visitors and even the next generation. labor day weekend I spent my camping trip picking up litter, tube someone left in a parking lot near campsite 10 and than couple weeks later this happened someone painted graffiti on trees and out house.
Idiots.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
Tick Magnet

We had a similar tree painting at a drive up campsite near my cabin in Wells. Same orange/red spray paint that your guys found. If there's an "I love Sam" tag, it might be the same folks that got us and JonnyVirgil's rock.

I'm not sure why people think they have to do this, but it must cheese you off, especially after all the effort you put into keeping that area clean. A Sisyphean task to be sure.

Thanks! HRSMA is really a cool area.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Justin

James, thank you so much all of your time & effort.
It's absolutely crazy how that area gets so much abuse, and for so many years now.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
geogymn

Frustrating! You can't stop the knuckleheads, you can only keep an eye out and report them. Also don't be afraid of being labeled an old geezer, talk to the young about the sanctity of the woods.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
dundee

Yes, thank you for your work! We're "Surrounded by A**HOLES!"
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
FTHR&DAGHTR

This area is frequented by all the idiots we have! I'm surprised it doesn't look worse than it does after a summer season. When it gets colder all the idiots will go indoors and stay there until spring. Wonder what their houses look like in the spring?????

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTHR&DAGHTR View Post
This area is frequented by all the idiots we have! I'm surprised it doesn't look worse than it does after a summer season. When it gets colder all the idiots will go indoors and stay there until spring. Wonder what their houses look like in the spring?????
Really? All our idiots jump on their snowmobiles. You're lucky.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
Trail Boss

An eyesore and regrettable but at least they didn't carve the graffiti into the bark.

I've passed trees carved with a multitude of initials (the first set inspires others). Unlike paint, carvings can't be removed and don't fade away.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote