Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
sciencedude288

Map with DEC campsites?

I am planning on doing the Cranberry 50. I know that there are a bunch of DEC campsites (sans lean to) along the trail, but my NatGeo map doesn't have them (lame). Do any maps designate all of these? Thanks!
sciencedude288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
bioguide

I have this map you can look over. Just zoom in on Cranberry Lake.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19_...NA&usp=sharing
Old 10-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
sciencedude288

I also just answered my own question: http://cranberrylake50.org/CL50_map-11x17.pdf

Thanks bioguide!
sciencedude288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
bioguide

There is also this: http://www.cranberrylake50.org/
Which has a link to a printable map of the trail and campsites.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Map with DEC campsites?

The map is missing ,Irish pond,and west flow is now on the western shore opposite where the map shows.check out the paddlers map by Dave cilley. Edited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The Paddlers Map for the northern Adirondacks does cover this area and shows the locations of most of the designated sites.

The State Lands Interactive Mapper shows tent sites but it is worth noting that the SLIM tent site data, while generally OK, isn't always accurate. In many cases, it does show tent sites in existence rather than designated, legal sites. Some of the sites shown are illegal sites (non-designated and in violation of the 150 foot rule) that you can be ticketed for using. The legality of any site shown on the SLIM should be verified independently before using- either by looking for the "Camp Here" disc when at the site, or contacting the DEC ahead of time.

In some cases, the SLIM shows sites that don't exist at all.

Starting from the traditional CL50 trailhead on Route 3 (northeast of Bear Mountain) and working counter-clockwise around the CL50, here is what I remember (note that it's been a while since I've done any extensive hiking in the Cranberry Lake area, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy):

Bear Mountain Section: I don't remember any sites along this stretch of the trail apart from the Bear Mountain Lean-to, which is some distance off the CL50.

Peavine Swamp Section: No sites along the Peavine Swamp Trail itself (the SLIM shows a site near the south end of the first loop, but I don't remember ever seeing a site there). There is the Inlet Flow Lean-to (located a short distance down the 3rd loop). This is a very high use lean-to.

The SLIM shows a site just east of the Inlet Flow Lean-to, I can't remember if this site is accessible on foot or not.

High Falls Truck Trail: There is a designated site at High Rock, accessed via a short side trail off the CL50 (this site is shown on the SLIM).

There is another site located to the west of the junction with the Five Ponds Trail (it appears that this site is shown on the SLIM).

There are several sites on the Five Ponds Trail where that trail crosses the Oswegatchie River. These sites aren't on the CL50 but aren't too far of a hike down the Five Ponds Trail. These sites are shown on the SLIM.

There's a designated tent site at High Falls in addition to the lean-to (shown on the SLIM). Note that the second lean-to is actually across the river and is not accessible on foot.

High Falls to Cowhorn Pond:

The SLIM shows sites at Glasby and Cat Mountain Ponds. These sites do exist, I know that the Glasby Pond site is designated but I can't remember if the Cat Mountain Pond site is.

I want to say that I remember also seeing a designated site at/near Bassout Pond but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Cowhorn Pond to Chairrock Flow:

The two sites shown on the SLIM at Olmstead Pond do exist and I believe are designated.

According to the paddler's map, the Chairrock Flow site is designated.

Chairrock Flow to East Inlet:

The Dog Pond Site shown on the SLIM does exist and is designated.

I can't remember of the Curtis Pond site exists. It is shown on the paddler's map as a designated site but I don't have any memory of seeing it.

There is a site on the south end of East Inlet, down the long side trail off the CL50 and I think it is designated. I don't think the second site is accessible on foot.

I have no memory of sites on the north end of East Inlet, but the Paddler's map does show them.

East Inlet to Bear Mountain Flow:There is a designated site at Hedgehog Pond that is missing from the SLIM.

The SLIM shows numerous sites on Bear Mountain Flow. I know that there are designated sites along this stretch, but I also want to say that the SLIM shows a lot more designated sites than there actually are, and the Paddler's map seems to confirm this.

If you're planning this for next weekend, I would be prepared for a fair amount of competition for lean-tos and tent sites- especially any sites on Cranberry Lake itself, as they are accessible by motor boat. Holiday traffic will be coming from the US and Canada (it's Canadian Thanksgiving). The area is also somewhat popular with the hunting crowd, and I know that permit hunting camps do get put up in tent sites along the CL50. And while the CL50 usually receives moderate usage levels, it's got more and more popular in recent years as people have found out about it.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I don't think the Irish Pond site is designated. I've never seen a "Camp Here" disc there. Has this changed?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Map with DEC campsites?

We camped at Irish pond under a yellow disc near the "caves" a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks, it must be relatively new.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Chairrock Flow to East Inlet:

The Dog Pond Site shown on the SLIM does exist and is designated.

I can't remember of the Curtis Pond site exists. It is shown on the paddler's map as a designated site but I don't have any memory of seeing it.
I can verify the Curtis Pond site. Note campsite marker on tree. (Click on picture for larger image)

CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
I can verify the Curtis Pond site. Note campsite marker on tree.
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
RedLynn

The paper map that comes with the ADK High Peaks Guidebook is pretty much your only bet for a commercial map that shows designated campsites... and even it isn't all that great. There are a lot of inaccuracies on that map. I'm pretty sure that some campsites shown on that map just plain don't exist, and even many of the ones that do can be hard to find.

The DEC website is also a good resource, if you're willing to do some research. The Interactive Online Mapper is one resource, but it's a bit slow to load and not the most intuitive interface ever made. Also, sometimes you can find information on designated campsites in the Unit Management Plan for that area.

Btw, only the ADK paper map for the High Peaks really shows designated campsites. They typically aren't shown on any other ADK maps for any of the other Adirondack Regions.

Absolute best way to figure out where the campsites are? Go out there yourself and find them...

The paddlers map also shows campsites... but they aren't all designated, some are just sites in common usage (and some are illegal). It also shows some sites that simply don't seem to exist (as with the ADK map). Many (most) of the site shown on the paddlers map aren't accessible by foot anyways, but only by canoe/kayak.
RedLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
The State Lands Interactive Mapper shows tent sites but it is worth noting that the SLIM tent site data, while generally OK, isn't always accurate. In many cases, it does show tent sites in existence rather than designated, legal sites. Some of the sites shown are illegal sites (non-designated and in violation of the 150 foot rule) that you can be ticketed for using. The legality of any site shown on the SLIM should be verified independently before using- either by looking for the "Camp Here" disc when at the site, or contacting the DEC ahead of time.

In some cases, the SLIM shows sites that don't exist at all.
AdkTrailMap shows the same sites as SLIM. I find it a little more user friendly than SLIM. It's ad supported which is mildly annoying.

The plus is that they have a free app which might be useful.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #14
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

http://www.adk.org/category.php?pnam...uidebooks-maps

Last year when I worked with the DEC and I paddled everyday I used these maps. They are an excellent source for finding where the campsites are. It is pretty accurate some are closed to let the area grow back up. You can find them in Saranac Inn at the canoe rentals or downtown Saranac Lake
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #15
Neil
Kayak-46

Adirondack Atlas.org
Click on catalogue and check the "primitive campsite" box from the dropdown. Not bad.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #16
rdl

Quote:
Adirondack Atlas.org
Click on catalogue and check the "primitive campsite" box from the dropdown. Not bad.
That's a cool site. Missing some obvious campsites though -- unless I'm making the wrong selections: what about the Essex Chain campsites ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
That's a cool site. Missing some obvious campsites though -- unless I'm making the wrong selections: what about the Essex Chain campsites ?
I don't think any of the various sources are fully up to date. @Trail Boss is currently putting in a lot of time and effort to create an accurate map of all of the campsites, trails, privies and lean-to's in the High Peaks region and he posts his results on Open Street Map.

Try this link to Marcy Dam as an example. Different zoom levels yield different info.

Last edited by Neil; 05-29-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
what about the Essex Chain campsites ?
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...essexchain.pdf
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #19
MrKawfey

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...eid=58bdf90098