Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #61
Buckladd

Well gang, I hope everyone has had as exciting of a turkey season as I. Although I’ve only filled one of my tags I’m pretty happy because it was a mountain bird taken in one my most cherished hunting spots. I backed off after that but I was also able to call in a tom for a first-time turkey hunter, which was a really rewarding experience. However, I messed up on an out-of-town hunt near Cooperstown the third weekend of the season.

Due a list of projects I only hunted in the early part of the mornings over the holiday weekend but have been going after either one of a pair of mountain toms I discovered as the season progressed. They’ve been tough to get near as they’re only gobbling on the roost and shut up once they hit the ground, sometimes on adjacent property owned by another camp. I also keep getting busted by deer and other morning found myself set up under hens, which subdued my calling. This is a spot I can't exactly roost toms. So, I took tomorrow off to give it one more try. Good luck to all on the final stretch.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #62
mgc

This morning I did something I never do and filled my second tag.....
I had given the Tom I previously harvested away to a friend (who never seems to get a bird) so I was thinking that if the situation presented itself today that I would take another bird for our freezer. I hunted a spot this morning that I did not have much hope for...but just before 6:00 a bird I called in showed his head through the very thick woods. I made a few very soft clucks with my mouth call and called him right up to my decoy at about 15 yards.... several hens were out in the field behind me checking out my other decoy and making a racket when I decided to shoot....
Despite a slow (wet) start, it was a great spring hunt when I count my birds and the one I called for a friend....
Here in Western NY it was really challenging...birds are still very scarce..in contrast in Northern NY...if you can get land access, you should be able to get a bird...they are more common than deer...
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #63
EagleCrag

I hope the weather dries out soon or its going to be a bad year for poult production. I understand the poults don't tolerate wet weather very well their first few weeks.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #64
mgc

Correct....it is expected that this will be another bad year for the birds...which goes back to the topic of taking hens, yes or no?
For every hen that survives to raise a brood there is an immediate benefit to the population...weather, predation are not controllable factors...hunting is.
Granted, the affect is not staggering, but it is significant....
Don't take hens...............
WRT to youth hunts, I can put a youth on a Jake or a Tom as easily as I can a hen while teaching the lesson of waiting for the right bird w/o compromising their introduction to the lifestyle and experience.... in fact I love the idea of having a hen come to do the calling. The experience of supreme butt pucker while you sit and watch/wait for a hen/hens strutting around, checking out your decoys, looking to see where you are is priceless...having a Tom or Jake come in to see what's up is the whole package.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #65
St.Regis

To shoot a hen or not is a personal choice. We already have a one bird limit in the fall with a shortened season. DEC should be able to decide if a moratorium on taking hens is also needed. If you want to help turkeys there are many other things that can be done...If you own land, consider planting mast producing trees and shrubs, plant small food plots, and create nesting areas. Join the NWTF. Control coyotes, fishers and other turkey predators. Keep your pets from roaming. Instead of taking a plump fall hen, eat ham at Thanksgiving or go all in and become a vegan.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #66
Buckladd

I don't do much fall turkey hunting as I'm an avid bowhunter and the turkey season has always been short in the Northern Zone. The only fall turkey I've ever killed was a hen when I was in college. Otherwise it's been spring gobblers and one bearded hen many years ago.

Congrats MGC on the late season success. After getting a nice tom on opening day I saved my other tag for a trip to the Cooperstown area, which didn't work out. Lots of birds and some nice farm country, but the toms were call shy. So, it was back to the mountain for the last weekend and I had a big tom I was specifically targeting. I kept getting busted by deer, however. On the last day I had a nice tom in a clearing that slowly but surely was coming in and two deer came towards him and he want back to where he was when I started calling him, and then into the woods. I know where I'll be on opening day next May!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #67
jman22

Congrats to all those who were successful this season. Especially you guys up north. It took me to the 30th to get my southern zone bird, but I'm not complaning! The most action I had this yr was during the last week of the season. I got into a group of tom's that were gobbling like crazy off the roost. ThE biggest problem I ran into was a group of jakes that on three different occasions chased the toms off! Quite the show. Time to enjoy some fishing and the continual prep for archery season.
jman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #68
mspaci

the taking of a few hens in the fall is not hurting the population & has nothing to due to with low numbers. Mike
mspaci is offline   Reply With Quote