Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
maxg

NYC to Northville in May?

Hi all,

I'm planning to thru-hike the full NPT from north to south in mid-May, but I've been having trouble finding how to actually get to Northville without a car. I'm coming from NYC and so far all I can find is Train->Bus->Taxi or Bus->Bus->Taxi. Are there any Busses direct to Northville I'm missing, or can anyone recommend a Taxi company for the last leg?

Also, given this year's winter, what is the likelihood I'll need snowshoes? I'm planning to be pretty wet/cold, and I'm bringing microspikes if stuff is icy/muddy, think that will suffice? Also, any water crossings I should know about in advance that might get hairy?

Any input is appreciated!
maxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
tgoodwin

The irony of your transportation difficulties is that in 1922, when the N-P Trail was originally conceived and built, the end points were chosen because they had regular passenger rail service. That ended in Northville about ten years after the construction of the trail and at the Lake Placid end in 1965.

I can't offer any advice about transportation from Northville, but I thought you'd be interested in the back story.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
JoeCedar

NYC to Northville in May?

Amtrak has a stop in Amsterdam. From there it is 24 miles to Northville by taxi, hitchhiking, or (gasp) walking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
maxg

Thanks for the input. I'll probably end up doing the train to Amsterdam. Anyone think I'll need snow shoes on the northern side of the trail within the next few weeks? I was debating mailing them to myself at Blue Mountain Lake.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
hookman33

maxg:
I live midway between Amsterdam and Northville. Let me know your date(s) and, if I am available, I will drive you to Northville. Although, you mention your plan to hike north to south, in which case you could take a Trailways bus to Lake Placid. to begin a southbound trip. Anyway, if you plan to begin in Northville, I may be able to solve your need for a taxi.
hookman
Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
HH1

From adirondackbasecamp.com, Thursday April 27, 2017:

"Trail Conditions: Spring conditions are present except in the highest elevations where winter remains but is on the way out.
• Deep snow is present in the highest elevations, on north slopes, in coniferous forests, and in other shaded areas.
• Snow on trails will be soft in the afternoon – snowshoes are recommended above 3,300 feet (1,000 m)
• Hard-packed snow and ice is present on trails below the deeper snows
• Carry microspikes and use them when warranted.
• Lower elevation and middle elevation trails are wet and muddy, especially in low spots and along waterways."

Given the NPT high point of just over 3000' and averaging in the lower 2Ks,, and having enjoyed thirty consecutive years of hiking Adirondack/White Mountains three or four days past mid-May, I'd say leave the 'shoes at home.

Have a great trek.
HH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
dundee

Northville may have bus service. Consult Greyhound of Adirondack Trailways. You shouldn't need either shoes or spikes, but you will find lots of water and mud. The only crossing that could "bad" is the Jessup River. In high water it would only reach your knees; more uncomfortable than difficult.

If possible, take you time on this trail. There's a lot of scenery. I take 14 days to do the trail these days; average of 10 miles/day.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
maxg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookman33 View Post
maxg:
I live midway between Amsterdam and Northville. Let me know your date(s) and, if I am available, I will drive you to Northville. Although, you mention your plan to hike north to south, in which case you could take a Trailways bus to Lake Placid. to begin a southbound trip. Anyway, if you plan to begin in Northville, I may be able to solve your need for a taxi.
hookman
Thanks for the kind offer! I'm hopefully meeting friends at the end on the Placid side. I'm hoping to leave on the Monday, May 8th or 9th, So I'd either be arriving 11am or 5pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH1 View Post
From adirondackbasecamp.com, Thursday April 27, 2017:

"Trail Conditions: Spring conditions are present except in the highest elevations where winter remains but is on the way out.
Deep snow is present in the highest elevations, on north slopes, in coniferous forests, and in other shaded areas.
Snow on trails will be soft in the afternoon snowshoes are recommended above 3,300 feet (1,000 m)
Hard-packed snow and ice is present on trails below the deeper snows
Carry microspikes and use them when warranted.
Lower elevation and middle elevation trails are wet and muddy, especially in low spots and along waterways."

Given the NPT high point of just over 3000' and averaging in the lower 2Ks,, and having enjoyed thirty consecutive years of hiking Adirondack/White Mountains three or four days past mid-May, I'd say leave the 'shoes at home.

Have a great trek.
Thanks, didn't realize trail conditions were so readily available! Lots of good info here http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7865.html
Old 05-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #9
hookman33

maxg:
Sent you a private message with my contact information.
Hookman
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
maxg

Thanks. I'll contact you once my plan solidifies.

Just saw this weather report for Blue Mountain Lake:

Looks like I should expect to get pretty muddy
Old 05-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

maxg, you might want to post a message on the Northville Placid Facebook page as well, in case you still need a ride. It's a very friendly group.

Hope that your hike goes well; looking forward to reading your trip report!
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

What's the uber situation in the Adirondacks?
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
real3175

Just checked both Uber/Lyft and no one appears to be active today anywhere close to the LP/High Peaks region (Glens Falls/Saratoga appears to be the closest active driver). Over the weekend I checked out of curiosity and (1) driver was active in LP.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
BillyGr

Probably just since it's still new that not many have signed up yet in the more outlying areas. Hopefully that will change as it goes along, as those areas are where something like this is helpful, due to less other options being available.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

You'd think that the lack of options would have driven more people to sign up as drivers. In summer, you'd have a corner on the market!
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
TCD

It will take time. It's brand new (like just the last few days) and it's really a tiny market.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote