Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
bluestar

Debar Great Camp

Made the 5 hour trek last weekend to get a little R&R pond hopping ADK style. Weekend started off great with less than hospitable weather but we still managed to catch some beautiful brown trout. I caught a couple nice 16+ inchers and my buddy hooked a very nice 23" beast....all of which were released...Sunday started off poorly with less than stellar fishing results so I did a bit of wandering around The old Debar Great Camp. Abandoned and rotting away is not a fate this beautiful structure should endure. I hope that somewhere NYS gets it head out of it's butt and figures out a use for it and then commences with restoration and historical designation.I will not hold my breath and can forsee visiting a crumbling structure over the next several years... I snapped some pics I thought some people may enjoy...this place is a diamond in the middle of a jewel forest....and something that needs to be saved....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Debar Great Camp3a.jpg (104.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Debar Great Camp2Resized.jpg (105.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Debar Great Camp4Resized.jpg (90.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Debar Great Camp5Resized.jpg (105.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Debar Great CampResized.jpg (110.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg DeBar MountainResized.jpg (64.7 KB, 139 views)
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Jackson

great post and photos, thanks for sharing. If I am not mistaken, this is at the foot of Debar Mountain, northwest of Onchiota?
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
bluestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
great post and photos, thanks for sharing. If I am not mistaken, this is at the foot of Debar Mountain, northwest of Onchiota?
I do believe so....beautiful place.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Skid

Debar Great Camp

Guys,

Intrigued me so I did a quick search and found this:
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...ard-next-step/

Maybe some hope here.

Skid
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
bluestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Guys,

Intrigued me so I did a quick search and found this:
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...ard-next-step/

Maybe some hope here.

Skid
Yeah...my buddy forwarded me that link. I think the problem is that with all of NYS bureaucratic red tape even their own agencies (DEC) have to jump through hoops that take so long that this place will be reduced to a large pile of scrap wood by the time they get around to doing something with it. As it stands now there's some serious roof issues. There's a blue tarp tacked on the lower roof section over the hot tub room which is leaking badly. That area faces the pond and must get some burley winds come wintertime. I hope they make an effort but as with all things related to New York, by the time they're ready to do something the structure will have succumb to the Adk winters.